• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New KDS Box...No Wait Light

TryDoubleG

I’ve been having starting issues when really cold all winter. Truck had a Nartron Smart Start box. Wait light worked normally. Batteries are brand new yellow tops with a trickle-charger.

So, I replaced glow plugs and temp sensor and problem continued. I had a block heater installed and truck would always start after being plugged in but would not when not plugged in.

Obviously, I want to make sure I can start the truck regardless of temperature and without having to plug in block heater.

Ordered a new KDS box and matching
temp sensor. Disconnected batteries. Installed box and sensor and refilled lost coolant. Now wait light does not turn on at all.

Opened the old Nartron box and there is no visible damage. In fact it all looks brand new inside.

I am starting to believe there is a wiring problem in the harness somewhere but electrical diagnostic is probably more than I am capable of.

I am interested in any troubleshooting ideas.

I am also interested in a referral to a HMMWV mechanic in Utah I could hire to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

Did you check the cold start switch to make sure it's working? It's there to help the truck start in cold weather.

As for a mechannic, check with Dave Hamilton over in Tooele at Hamilton Diesel Service.

TryDoubleG

Yes, replaced the thermostatic switch with new. Called it temp sensor in my post by mistake.

Thanks for the referral, Tooele is not far from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

There are several sensors and switches on the HMMWV engine each with a different purpose. The sensor behind the alternator near the front of the left cylinder head is the signal to the temp gauge. The temp switch on the intake manifold is the signal to the cooling system. The temp sensor on the water crossover manifold is the sensor for the control box to tell it when to cycle the glow plugs. The cold start (advance) switch is located near the rear of the right cylinder head and tells the injector pump (IP) when to add more fuel during cold starts. It feeds a signal up to the top of the IP to a solenoid there. The other connection up there is the #54 wire that shuts off the fuel when you shut down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks