• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery questions

Choppers

Hi all,

Lots of past threads regarding battery tenders, maintainers, solargisers etc and going to two group 31 batteries.

Need clarity please, from those more experienced.

I have to replace my batteries in my m923a1.

Planning to go to NAPA or Oreilys to get the two batteries, group 31, 1000 CCA.

while I'm doing this, I would like to install something solar to maintain these new batteries.

What do you use?

Am I getting the right batteries?

What works for you?

Thanks

Last edited:

Scrounger

Everyone has their thoughts on this topic and no one’s views are incorrect.
For me I have always installed what they came with. It may be a little more expensive in the beginning, however I find it pays in the long run. All my 5 tons have four 6TLs, except the M54A2. In my neck of the woods NAPA carries Deka batteries. The Napa part number is 7256. As an example, one of my trucks has batteries the are over six years old. By my own admission I have not been treating those batteries properly. The 6TL battery is rated for 750 CCA. I just tested the four batteries in that truck last week. The low battery tested at 1082 CCA the high one was 1128 CCA. My average interval for battery replacement is nine to ten years per set. 6TLs fit, the hold down fit, and I don’t have to handle batteries any more than necessary.

As far as something like a solargizer. I bought a bunch of them several years ago and never got around to installing them on anything. One of the things that I have made sure of is that there is no parasitic draw in any vehicle. If something isn’t getting enough drive time, the batteries go on a charger. I have gotten very good results with the Pro-Logix PL2320 charger, I have a couple of them. This charger checks the battery out, de-sulfates the battery if needed, then charges it. It will also maintain a battery if left connected.

74M35A2

I run 2 NAPA group 31's in my M925a2, modern starter and alternator, no solar or external charger, and start right up on a cold January morning, even if sitting for 6 months prior. I wanted half the under-seat storage back that 2 of the 6TL batteries were taking up. My engine is half the size of yours though. I think 2 vs 4 batteries depends on your winter start expectations (un-plugged), and total engine health (how fast it starts). Fuel system is 100% air free (refreshed lines and pickup tube) is very important for fast starts. In the winter, block heater plugged in hours before, or a quick shot of ether, can greatly lessen the battery/starter load. Same with using winter grade diesel fuel to prevent filter waxing. Not sure how cold your area gets during winter, and if you use your truck then.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your local Cummins or freightliner parts will have batteries for a decent price as the major auto parts stores. However the o'Reillys or napa or advance will only have a 1yr warranty due to it being a fleet type of battery. Whereas my local Cummins it Is an 18mo to 36mo warranty depending the type.

Also go with stud post batteries. This eliminates those terminal contact issues with melting posts due to a loose connection on the grote military units.

90Jimmy

Everyone has their thoughts on this topic and no one’s views are incorrect.
For me I have always installed what they came with. It may be a little more expensive in the beginning, however I find it pays in the long run. All my 5 tons have four 6TLs, except the M54A2. In my neck of the woods NAPA carries Deka batteries. The Napa part number is 7256. As an example, one of my trucks has batteries the are over six years old. By my own admission I have not been treating those batteries properly. The 6TL battery is rated for 750 CCA. I just tested the four batteries in that truck last week. The low battery tested at 1082 CCA the high one was 1128 CCA. My average interval for battery replacement is nine to ten years per set. 6TLs fit, the hold down fit, and I don’t have to handle batteries any more than necessary.

As far as something like a solargizer. I bought a bunch of them several years ago and never got around to installing them on anything. One of the things that I have made sure of is that there is no parasitic draw in any vehicle. If something isn’t getting enough drive time, the batteries go on a charger. I have gotten very good results with the Pro-Logix PL2320 charger, I have a couple of them. This charger checks the battery out, de-sulfates the battery if needed, then charges it. It will also maintain a battery if left connected.
Make someone a can’t pass up deal on those unwanted solargizers....maybe?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 8D bus battery x2...1400cca each, the 250 Cummins loved them. Oreilly sold them at around $210/ and will take one 6TA for the core. To fit them the tie down mounts have to be removed and use shims to hold them tight side to side, including the top so terminals don't get into seat bottom.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks