• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breaking beads.... on non aluminum

coachgeo

Seths video and resulting comments brought this up (will link here)

In comments to Seth's video shown here and on Facebook of breaking bead on aluminum tire it was mentioned that steel wheels are a total different animal. Someone brought up they used a hydraulic bead breaker and showed pic of it. They said it pulled rim UP instead of pusing tire down (you can't push tire down cause of bead lock ring). Found videos of such animals both manual and hydraulic. they all work the same principle.... Butt.... they do push the tire down to break the bead. Now with bead lock in place maybe instead it pulls rim up??? Not sure how good this is for the beadlock though..... what is your thoughts.

manual version (available on fleabay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjh9p5Nv9lc

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Itll break it. Or get one with a hydraulic pedal. Doesnt take much to break beads. Also if you are planning ahead pour diesel on the tire so it can get down between the bead and wheel. Much like soap. If you still have a stuck bead. Then just light it up with fire and it will come apart easy enough

I use a crowbar with a dull top and it's got a flat spot to hit on to drive it between the wheel and tire bead. 4 hits with a good small sledge and they come apart. Yes I make it look easy. The crap part of LMTV wheels is all the beadlock nuts. You can also get a duck bill hammer as well. Or in some peoples case. Just drive over the tire with your cucv or deuce if you have one

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a bunch of steel wheel FMTV tire dismounts with the usual duck bill hammer. Easy peasy. Like Simp says, the nuts take forever. Can't even hold the impact socket it gets so hot after one wheel.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of these Australian "Tyrepliers", which I've used to great success on my regular 4x4 rims. The pair I have don't adjust large enough for LMTV wheels, but they sell an extension leg for them that will allow them to reach. I'm hoping to try them when I change my tires soon. The way they pry the bead from the rim, I'm hopeful they will work well.

bb100-500x500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have the hydraulic bead breakers and in usual operation they push the bead down. If the rim uses a beadlock, it will go the path of least resistance which is pulling the top of the rim off. This is while working on bolt together rims, cause thats what ive got. All true bead locks have a removable ring to lock the bead, if not, its not a bead lock

Badmiker

Sorry, in China I have ... issues .... getting to Youtube so I was guessing. I would imagine the manual application of force would allow control and prevent damage to the rim.

Badmiker

No worries. I've been lurking for about 9 months now and as I don't have an MTV or LMTV yet, I have just been absorbing info like a sponge. Hope to start building one in about 3-4 years.

**LurkModeEngage**

fasttruck

Pic of Kem tire hammer to break beads. I saw someone on U-Tube using a pick like this and if you are going top throw the tire out anyway it might work, but a sharp tool is as risk of damaging the sidewall of the tire and render it unserviceable.break 1.jpgTIRE SHOP 5.29.2010.jpg

BuiltMFG

I use this one, similar to the one on the video. They don't recommend you use pneumatic tools with it... but I haven't had any problems.
I have to shim it with a piece of wood for each time I use the breaker. I have to break the bead in about 3-4 places before it frees itself from the steel rim.

coachgeo

I use this one, similar to the one on the video. They don't recommend you use pneumatic tools with it... but I haven't had any problems.
I have to shim it with a piece of wood for each time I use the breaker. I have to break the bead in about 3-4 places before it frees itself from the steel rim.
Where do you shim it? Under the fork that presses into the tire? or?? what does the shim do.... spread the downward force over a larger area? or hold the whole thing at a more efficient angle of attack??

BuiltMFG

Where do you shim it? Under the fork that presses into the tire? or?? what does the shim do.... spread the downward force over a larger area? or hold the whole thing at a more efficient angle of attack??
After I’ve pushed down one portion of the tire the bead is more likely to reset. So i throw a shim on one or both sides of the tool to keep the tire out of the bead. Then I reset on another side and repeat the process. I’ll be rebuilding the last rim here soon and I’ll make a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

After I’ve pushed down one portion of the tire the bead is more likely to reset. So i throw a shim on one or both sides of the tool to keep the tire out of the bead. Then I reset on another side and repeat the process. ...
makes ton of since (pardon the pun). Can also see something like below tool working but... not to remove... instead to hold like your shims. Not sure they are strong enough though

https://www.amazon.com/FidgetFidget...+New&qid=1554833188&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

BuiltMFG

makes ton of since (pardon the pun). Can also see something like below tool working but... not to remove... instead to hold like your shims. Not sure they are strong enough though
Those are interesting, not sure if the notch is big enough for the lip on the steel rims. I just use a few small pieces of wood that I had laying around.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done 3/5 tires in the last week. After going around the rim a couple times with a pair of tire spoons, it came apart pretty easily.

CMPPhil

The little trick that works

I've done 3/5 tires in the last week. After going around the rim a couple times with a pair of tire spoons, it came apart pretty easily.
Hi

Thanks you for mentioning going around the tire a couple of times with the spoons. I thought I was missing something in the discussion of breaking down tires, I just assumed that everybody knew this was the first step.

Ok now the little secret is out in the open, thats how I do it, for my old back first I lay the wheel assembly over on lift table so I can work at a comfortable height, remove valve from the stem, go have cup of coffee, come back then using two tire spoon irons, start working around the tires not pushing down real hard just sort of leaning on the iron, then insert the second iron little further around, generally on the third trip around the rim half comes up loose of the tires.

Of course this works best on clean painted rims, old rusty ones not so good. Those I take to the tire truck shop, but not all of them get the ideal of running the power bead breaker around the rim at light preasure before trying to break the tire off the rim.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks