• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breaking beads.... on non aluminum

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, it was really easy to do with the tire irons. Unless you are handicapped, need to do a LOT of tires, or some other unusual situation, I would not recommend spending the money on the bead breaker. Working around it a couple times took [literally] 2 minutes, and it came right apart. Use that money on something else.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The bead breaker is just good for ease of use. Or if you are not capable of swinging hammers or bending over. I have a crowbar that i have used for atleast 4yrs it goes right under the rim lip and does not damage the tire.

For those tires that are stubborn and have been on there for a bit they can be a real pain to break the bead. Simple solution to that is to spray diesel around the bead/lip and let it sit. it will work itself down between the tire and the wheel. Maybe pry it a little to let it seep in good.. if that fails then it is gonna be one of those days and just set the diesel on fire and let it burn for a few minutes. You can try getting your pry bars in there to see if she will let go. But with the diesel burning the tire wont be hurt and it will come off the wheel for sure then.

Or you can buy the bead breaker with a slide hammer on it. They seem to work well on these soft tires. Do not use them on any of the super single 22.5 tires as you will be sorry.

If you have an SEE truck around that hydraulic jackhammer makes a heck of a great bead breaker.

Last edited:

BRob18E

Wes, do I need to put new bead locks on the tires when I change to the bigger ones? I think some where I have saw bead lock seal. or can I reuse what is in there? Also some of the tires have circles on them. Do they need repaired from the inside, or is it just how the military marks them when they take them off? either way, no big deal, I would just rather fix it when the tire is off vs finding out it leaks from those locations when I install them.

Thanks for your ongoing time, help and knowledge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks