• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who's running dynamic tire balancing beads?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who has some long term experience with tire balancing compounds on the FMTV? I know we've had discussions about putting airsoft pellets or ball bearings in the tire, but who has actually done it, and what are your results?

I'm getting ready to change tires, so now is the time to decide.

Jericho

it isn't a set of 14 bys on an M 931 but , I run balance beads in a set of 35 by 12,5 s on my Jeep, I have aftermarket rims which are aluminum alloy and have proven tough to balance with weights . I am not entirely sold on balance beads. Some times they run real smooth, other times one can feel a tire just a little wobbly. I stop when I can to let them settle and take off again , sometimes no more wobble , sometimes an improvement. Size really doesn't matter its a simple tire based Volume of beads math equation

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not really trying to prove whether they work. We can't use regular balancing compounds with the CTIS, so some people have tried other materials and I'm curious what the long term reports are.

coachgeo

I'm not really trying to prove whether they work. We can't use regular balancing compounds with the CTIS, so some people have tried other materials and I'm curious what the long term reports are.
pretty sure there is a thread on this...... least similar. Seem to recall someone saying the've been running them. I'll try to round it up... though you might find it first with a search for ... beads ctis large....

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read those (I have the links saved), but there no threads that I've seen that talk about it later. I'm curious if the airsoft pellets break down, or the ball bearings make metal dust, etc.

tourus

why can't you use Equal ??? lots of over the road truck have air systems on the tires and have Equal .. I use Equal in all my tires from my pick up to jeeps to car trailers .. when I owned tractor trailers I used it in all 10 tires. I felt it helped with wear and I know it helped with balance. on the drives I put a bag the steers a bag an half. so again why cant use Equal.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why can't you use Equal ??? lots of over the road truck have air systems on the tires and have Equal .. I use Equal in all my tires from my pick up to jeeps to car trailers .. when I owned tractor trailers I used it in all 10 tires. I felt it helped with wear and I know it helped with balance. on the drives I put a bag the steers a bag an half. so again why cant use Equal.
If some people are running them in their LMTVs, I'll be happy to consider it. I'm purposely trying to move beyond the theoretical "I think this should work", and find some things that "This worked in my LMTV" or "This didn't work in my LMTV". Lots of people have talked about the theoretical, but I haven't seen any posts that say someone has opened up FMTV tires that have been running stuff for a while, etc.

coachgeo

May be wrong but think equal beads were mentioned in other threads to be oto small .... they could get into the CTIS hoses.

coachgeo

If some people are running them in their LMTVs, .....
since you have the links saved..... wasn't there one person who said they run them in their tires??? if so maybe PM them with a link to this thread to encourage them to add their .02? If it is whom I'm thinking it is..... they are not on here often.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wrote up a thread on this subject a few years ago on MY M920 running 1600s on HEMTT rims, I ended up putting in 64 oz. of the beads in each tire and it honestly went from 30 mph top speed to 16 gear at 1900 RPM 55 mph smooth as silk! Thats my only experience with them but they sure worked well for me!

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running airsoft pellets for 2 years. I've swapped in tires without them and can tell a difference. Currently have them back on the truck. Only have about 400 mile on them. When the tires were last rotated you could still hear them rolling around in there. So they haven't turned to dust yet. No issues with ctis other than the system randomly deflating tires. I think my total cost was $40 to do 4 tires. I haven't done a lot of highway miles on them. But a lot of cruising at 50. Hope this helps

Ryan31783

I have been running airsoft pellets for 2 years. I've swapped in tires without them and can tell a difference. Currently have them back on the truck. Only have about 400 mile on them. When the tires were last rotated you could still hear them rolling around in there. So they haven't turned to dust yet. No issues with ctis other than the system randomly deflating tires. I think my total cost was $40 to do 4 tires. I haven't done a lot of highway miles on them. But a lot of cruising at 50. Hope this helps
Do you remember how many ounces you put in per tire? I've been looking into this and from various balancing media companies for the 395/85, is 16-24 oz

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The formula is in the doc here in my signature. I think I actually pulled it from the thread you wrote up Darrell.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad someone has a memory that works. I have had great luck with media in my motorcycle tires, and have run them at high speeds with great success. I noticed an improvement at highway speeds in my lmtv , compared to tires with no beads. Best part about the airsoft pellets is that they are cheap. If they work for them, one could always upgrade to better media.

Reworked LMTV

Just curious what source people used for the pellets for best price. Most charge by ball count, not ounces.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The formula is in the doc here in my signature. I think I actually pulled it from the thread you wrote up Darrell.

From the linked doc:

"If using dynamic balancing (e.g. ball bearings - be sure to use something that won’t clog the CTIS), a ratio of 1oz to every 13lb of tire works well."

So with ~350 pounds of wheel and tire, 350/13*1 yields ~27 ounces or ~1.68 pounds of media.

Does that sound about correct?

Reworked LMTV

From the linked doc:

"If using dynamic balancing (e.g. ball bearings - be sure to use something that won’t clog the CTIS), a ratio of 1oz to every 13lb of tire works well."

So with ~350 pounds of wheel and tire, 350/13*1 yields ~27 ounces or ~1.68 pounds of media.

I was looking for a reliable purchase source. I know how to calculate the ounces.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, like you, I was asking a question for someone to confirm.

I have seen inoffensive prices on Amazon for .43 gram beads in the 3k and 5k(?) packs. ~$14 or so with free shipping I think. Seemed reasonable on first glance. I imagine Cabella's or Bass Pro or other hunting places would have them as well, but I'm not a hunter.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the linked doc:

Sounds about right. I haven't tried it myself, but I did use some off-the-shelf balancing compound in some large ~180lb off road tires on another truck, and I think it took 14-16oz. So it seems reasonable a tire about 2x as heavy would require about 2x as much.

I was looking for a reliable purchase source. I know how to calculate the ounces.
They're available pretty much anywhere. After years of these topics going round-and-round, nobody has clearly detailed using them, or what they used, or how much they used, etc. So you're probably just going to have to test it out, and write that guide yourself, for others to follow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks