• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Towing M105A2 Trailer

jshummer

I didn't realize I was buying a huge M105 trailer when I impulse bought it on fleabay, until I arrived to pick it up and saw it was taller than the HMMWV. I drove 3 hours north to Titusville and bought it and moved the ATV from the truck bed to the trailer and the bike. Towed it 2 hours southwest to Highlands Hammock State Park where I went camping for the night. Then another 1.5 hours southwest the next morning to Punta Gorda and Florida Track and Trails where I let the ATV rip for the day. Packed it up and drove back to Miami. 583 miles round trip, 383 miles pulling the trailer.

The trailer wasn't bad and I could still maintain 50+. Of course, if it was fully loaded like it should be the HMMWV would suffer. I bought it for yard storage so how it drives very long doesn't matter. The HMMWV is barely usable on the highway as is. Going up the slight grades we have here in FL the fan would come up and I would drop to 40mph but then back up to 60mph going down here. I will use it until it sells. Check out these pictures from the trip.

IMG_6595.jpgIMG_6776.jpgIMG_6777.jpgM105A2 Trip.JPG

Last edited:

Duff ace

Wow that thing is huge. Is the m1101 the same size? As I'm looking to get one for my m998

Also live in Florida

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigbe5678

I think you would like the M101a1 or a2 or a3 Much better. I had the reverse problem I first saw an M105 and thought it was too big for my FJ so when the M101 were on sale for a steal I turned them all down thinking they were the same size as the m105 aua

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that thing is huge. Is the m1101 the same size? As I'm looking to get one for my m998

Also live in Florida

The M1101's were built for the HMMWV's somewhat smaller and a lot lighter , the M105's were pulled with M35's and have air over hydraulic brakes .

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 105 is an extremely good trailer but everybody forgets that it was matched to the Deuce and everybody knows how high a Deuce is! 105 can be pulled pretty good with any of the 3/4 ton pickups today BUT stopping is a whole different matter su unless your pickup has air brakes dont get to crazy on the 105

Duff ace

So the m1101 matches the height and width of the M998's right?

tobyS

TOBASH....you are going to have to break down and buy a can of green paint.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TOBASH....you are going to have to break down and buy a can of green paint.
Or a lotta' tan. LOL

Yeah, just purchased and waiting for consistent warm and dry weather to paint camo colors to the trailer outdoors.

Gonna' go with Behr paint per the 'Paint and Resto' forum suggestions.

Wouldn't do to let the camouflaged HMMWV be discovered due to a tan trailer, would it? :mrgreen: (Don't wanna let the highway cops see me while I'm speeding down the freeway at 45MPH.)

Last edited:

tobyS

I'm going for extra lights on the rear, (maybe flashers) being one of the slowest vehicles on the road.

If you use a bit of Flotrol the brush and roller works really well. With the 1101/2 there are a LOT of corners and hard to get places that spray can reach, where a brush and roller can't. Have fun

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going for extra lights on the rear, (maybe flashers) being one of the slowest vehicles on the road.

If you use a bit of Flotrol the brush and roller works really well. With the 1101/2 there are a LOT of corners and hard to get places that spray can reach, where a brush and roller can't. Have fun
Having flashers or strobes on while traveling varies by state whether it is legal. It's illegal here in michigan .

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just towed my M105 225 miles (about 70 miles were hilly with 3 longer upgrades - the rest reasonably flat or mildly hilly) with my standard (non-turbo) V6, FLEX. I kept the RPMs about 2800 (45 mph with transmission kept in 4th gear) and got 17. 4 mpg. Even with the tailgate up and the roof bows, sideboards, and front and rear boards mounted, it pulled so effortlessly that I had to keep looking to see if it was still there. I had a strong tailwind for 95% of the trip. The traffic was so light that I impeded no one and would travel 10 to 20 miles at a time and not have another vehicle overtake me. Ah, Sunday afternoon in NW Oklahoma :).

As a new member, I likely cannot post a photo, but I included 2 links below. One or the other might lead to the photo.

https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/350v8s10/DSCF2102_zpsxmz2ubow.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks