• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 803a flywheel

wain

I have a mep 803a that seems to have a flywheel problem .
When you try to start the generator the flywheel turns but the engine does not.
Does anyone know if the flywheel bolts to the crank or is it a taper and key ? Also is this a problem anyone has seen on this model?
Any info would be helpfull
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

mcii

How are you sure the actual FLYWHEEL is turning V. just the starter pinion gear perhaps yes engaging to the flywheel but most simply spinning inside the pinion and staying fixed. Or does the set show wrench or tool marks wherein the generator has been separated from the engine bell housing, tell tell marks must exist if this situation is actual. To your last question review the parts section of the TM and it will reflect bolts or keyway for flywheel mate up to crankshaft, my recollection is bolts, but it's not easy at this time for me to recover my TM and confirm. Following with interest. mac/mc

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please include a state in your location, as the rules require.

wain

I can see the generator turn but the engine does not.
I pulled the starter of and the flywheel seems to not be connected to the engine.

Guyfang

Staff member
Then you need to remove the main gen and see why. The probability of the five mounting bolts all breaking at the same time is small. The probability of all five bolts falling out at once is small. So, since you haven't told us if the set is new to you, or that you have seen it work right at some time, I can only assume, (guess) that you just bought it. In all probability, some one slapped it back together, just enough that it looks good, but isn't. Could be a broken crank, but that's one of the few failures I have never seen on this set. Get the TM's, read up on main gen removal. It's not hard.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please include a state in your location, as the rules require.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then you need to remove the main gen and see why. The probability of the five mounting bolts all breaking at the same time is small. The probability of all five bolts falling out at once is small. So, since you haven't told us if the set is new to you, or that you have seen it work right at some time, I can only assume, (guess) that you just bought it. In all probability, some one slapped it back together, just enough that it looks good, but isn't. Could be a broken crank, but that's one of the few failures I have never seen on this set. Get the TM's, read up on main gen removal. It's not hard.
Guy, I thought the same thing.....five bolts are highly unlikely to fall out or fail at the same time and I think a broken crank is even less likely.

If you haven't seen one in all your years working on these sets, then I think its safe to assume( I know never assume) that its not the problem here.

OP, I would not be cranking the set until you know what the story is with the mating of flywheel to engine.

There are a couple of threads with pictures posted of sets that members have removed the main stator. Check them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks