• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lacks power

Barrman

It is like there are two different threads going on at the same time here.

One part of the thread has a totally stock M1009 with 85,000 miles, 4 radios and can't go over 35 mph. If everything is stock as in tires, axles with the 3.08:1 ratio and transmission. 35 mph at sea level when holding it on the floor in 3rd gear sounds like it is stuck in low range on the transfer case or maybe first gear on the transmission.

So, can you feel the transmission shift from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd? If not, check the vacuum pump, vacuum control on the passenger side of the IP, vacuum lines from the pump to the controller and then the vacuum line to the transmission vacuum modulator. Then, check the modulator itself.

If the truck is truly stock, it sounds like you are stuck in 1st gear or low range. You write that all the fuel and air filters are new. Nothing is mentioned about bad running engine or starting issues. I haven't had any of my M1009 trucks above 4,000 feet, but they could hold 60-70 at that altitude without issue or black smoke except for actual grades up.

Then there is the other part of the thread where the totally stock truck has a 14 bolt rear axle with 3.73:1 gears. If it is a full float 14 bolt out of a CUCV truck. Then that means you actually have 4.56:1 gears and 55 or so is as fast as that set up can go. The engine is out of rpm to climb. It must really be screaming too!

Then there is a third part of the thread where a Banks turbo set up is contemplated. I have such a set up and love it. However, I can be going 70 mph down the interstate and the turbo isn't doing a thing. Only on hills and long drawn out acceleration use is the turbo really needed with just the truck going along. Attach a trailer and then the turbo is helping all the time with a psi or two of boost even on flat ground.

Since you are former military. Thank you for your service. You probably know all about Technical Manuals. The ones for the CUCV trucks are some of the best and most informative TM's you can ever find. There is a tab at the top of the page to access and download them. The -20 has a great 75 or so page troubleshooting section. That section should be your first step anytime something on the truck isn't right.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVs are slow under the best conditions. 8000 feet elevation is not the best condition. Having driven a 1984 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with the 6.2 all over the pacific north west in 1989, I can tell you for a fact at high elevation you are going to see a lot of smoke and not much go. The truck is what it is, get used to it or buy something else.

dougco1

CUCVs are slow under the best conditions. 8000 feet elevation is not the best condition. Having driven a 1984 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with the 6.2 all over the pacific north west in 1989, I can tell you for a fact at high elevation you are going to see a lot of smoke and not much go. The truck is what it is, get used to it or buy something else.
I think it has allot to do with the 8,000 feet elevation also.

roddog

Ok guys, let's read thouroughly, the commander, got His command vehicle thru the MILITARY AUCTION SITE. He was informed it was being plused out, he was lucky enough to bid properly, to get it. NO LAWS BROKEN. He developed palsy sindrom. Wanted a Cadillac. Asked 4 k. That's how it went down. Moving forward.. She was bone stock, ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION. FROM DAY,1 ..1985 until I bought it 5 years ago. Been running it for 5 years in Sunnyvale , CA. SOO... Moving forward.. she runs like a Swiss watch, kicks ass, the only complaint I have is long hi way , climbs. She won't go over 35 mph. Sea level to 8000 feet and between. So picture this ? She is getting 33 inch tires, a 14 bolt rear with a locker. Keeping the 10 bolt front with 30 spline upgrade and a locker. Both upgrades cost me 2 k. . My radiator took a crap. So. I purchased a aluminum replacement. I don't like mixing trans fluid, oil, and water. So ..I'm adding separate oil, and trans coolers.and electric fans.

roddog

BTW, TELLING ME TO BUY another vehicle, is rude. Let's pound info on me? My name is rod, I'm 50 years old, ASE certified MASTER Mechanic, 4 year army sniper 101 St ground control.. Retired. OWNER OF RJ CONSTRUCTION, AND A&J LIGHTING. I own a 2005 Cummins turbo diesel, 5.9 2500 hd. I don't want or need, my 1009 to be it. Just want to go up long, uphill freways, at more than 35 mph.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Well I im harvin problem with kernel sellin truck for so notenouff. Why? You may hav to put the 6.2 in the Dodge to make it go to the place you work

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, chime in?
At 8000 ft your probably going to need a turbo , I know years ago burying phone lines in the Rockies at 7500ft the non-tubo Cunnins 4TB's in the backhoe's wouldn't move out of their own tracks . The turbo'ed backhoes didn't seems to have many issues . Finding a fuel setting where it is happy on both ends might be a issue.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elevation isn’t the only factor.
Density Altitude makes a huge difference on how a vehicle (or aircraft) performs.

You can have an elevation of 8000 feet and a density altitude of 9700 feet.
It varies up or down depending on temperature at that 8000,(or whatever) elevation.
The colder it is, the lower the DA, the hotter it is, the higher.

Clearly he has other issues with his truck.

90Jimmy

Ok guys, let's read thouroughly, the commander, got His command vehicle thru the MILITARY AUCTION SITE. He was informed it was being plused out, he was lucky enough to bid properly, to get it. NO LAWS BROKEN. He developed palsy sindrom. Wanted a Cadillac. Asked 4 k. That's how it went down. Moving forward.. She was bone stock, ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION. FROM DAY,1 ..1985 until I bought it 5 years ago. Been running it for 5 years in Sunnyvale , CA. SOO... Moving forward.. she runs like a Swiss watch, kicks ass, the only complaint I have is long hi way , climbs. She won't go over 35 mph. Sea level to 8000 feet and between. So picture this ? She is getting 33 inch tires, a 14 bolt rear with a locker. Keeping the 10 bolt front with 30 spline upgrade and a locker. Both upgrades cost me 2 k. . My radiator took a crap. So. I purchased a aluminum replacement. I don't like mixing trans fluid, oil, and water. So ..I'm adding separate oil, and trans coolers.and electric fans.
You do understand that the engine oil, transmission fluid and engine coolant do not mix together in a stock radiator? They each have a separate cooler....trans cooler is integrated into the radiator. I’m certain an ASE Certified, Retired Army E-7 would have a grasp of these simple mechanical components, so forgive me if I’m being remedial....

You Sir, should proceed with the modifications you have detailed...get a low gear out back, go way bigger than 33 inch tires, keeping it all cool with the aluminum radiator with separate coolers for all fluids. Electric fans would be a huge update, to include running a separate smaller fan on each new cooler you install. I predict optimal operating temps and smooth cruising with the KERNEL. I wouldn’t hesitate to take her well above 10,000 feet.

Keep members informed of this build, Pics of the progress please.

Last edited:

Abbylind

I run 7200'-6500' ASL all day long with my 08 on 37" tires. No turbo. Its no barn burner off the line but I keep up with traffic OK. Starting up a steep incline takes a little longer than others but I get up there eventually. I normally dont go any faster than 65 mph. 98000 on the ODO. Sounds like theres something else going on with yours. Clogged intake sock in the tank? Mebbe IP?

dougco1

So how long has this slow speed issue on hills been going on? Ever since you owned it or did it just start the other day? You mentioned it runs like a Swiss watch and kicks ass. I'm confused. Apparently the elevation doesn't make a difference either. Just trying to help

90Jimmy

Must have missed the day at ASC Certified school when they discussed automatic transmissions....not knowing what differences are between the 350 and 400....I don’t think the truck is a POS, I think the operator is FOS. This entire thread is a rabbit hole.

sandcobra164

Maybe a picture of the oil pan of the transmission would clear that up. The TH-400 in these trucks doesn't have a locking converter so it'd still be 1 to 1 output minus converter loss either way. I agree that once the 14 bolt goes in, 55 mph. would be the top speed for all practical purposes. Mine has those gears but can pull hills loaded and pulling a trailer with no issues.

Matt5

Banned
Idk how you guys are pulling hills no problem with like 100 horse... I hit a hill, plow, cement block, about 9klb gvw RIP... I might. MIGHT pull it okay if I hit them around 60... I have some here... and they are decent (but short thank god) no running start... I just keep her in second, she will go into 3ed but lug right down... I've been passed (no passing but I'm going so slow lol) by a 1500, plow + tail gate sander... rofl... like I was hardly moving...

So "no problem" I think is a little... iffy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks