• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lacks power

roddog

Hi all.I have a 1985 m1009. 6.2,TH350, bone stock.I have been reading posts for months. And I keep noticing people with the same vehicle stating their 1009 does 70 mph up a hill. When I hit a long hi way grade, FLOORED, I can't keep it over 35 mph?? Empty, no added weight? Does somebody know something I don't?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirty Filters , tired IP , bad injectors, low compression hard to say without knowing more. And it should have a TH400 not a TH350.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all.I have a 1985 m1009. 6.2,TH350, bone stock.I have been reading posts for months. And I keep noticing people with the same vehicle stating their 1009 does 70 mph up a hill. When I hit a long hi way grade, FLOORED, I can't keep it over 35 mph?? Empty, no added weight? Does somebody know something I don't?
Hi all, new here. San Jose, ca, M1009 bone stock. Had it 5 years now. All military maintenance records came with truck. 85 thou original milage. Now has 105 thou. Starting to mess with her and got a rebuilt 14 bolt 373 gear with Detroit locker. Front is 10 bolt with upgraded axles and Detroit lockers.
I'm confused.

roddog

Thanks for responding, non of the above, I got it from the kernal, who used it in the army with only 85 original miles and all records of maintenance up to that date. I have replaced every filter it has twice. And it is a 3 speed. I was told the th400 is a 4 speed and th350 was 3 speed, am I miss informed?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for responding, non of the above, I got it from the kernal, who used it in the army with only 85 original miles and all records of maintenance up to that date. I have replaced every filter it has twice. And it is a 3 speed. I was told the th400 is a 4 speed and th350 was 3 speed, am I miss informed?
The TH400 is an automatic shift, three-speed, longitudinally positioned transmission. It is widely regarded to be a supremely durable and legendary transmission.
[h=2]CUCV Wiki[/h]

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/automatic/th400

Attachments

Last edited:

roddog

Anybody, ever installed the million dollar banks turbo? I'm told it will just blow the old cracking prone 6.2 apart, and the current compression is too high for it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep lugging it up the hills like that and it will break.
No turbo needed.

Have you used any fuel system cleaner?
Seafoam, etc?
They will make a difference in a dirty system.
Agree with the other recommendations.

The 6.2L isn’t remotely a powerhouse to start with.
Adding tall (for a CUCV) gearing isn’t helping.

Once you accept it for what it is, life will be easier.

roddog

Ok, maybe I started off on a wrong foot. Let's go this route. RETIRED ARMY E,7, 100,First infantry. Desert Storm, and desert shield. I bought this 1009 off my commander. Who got it plused out for his retirement. I bought it from him, it's a super rare M 1009. BLAZER, it was a command, vehicle with 4 , ya I said 4 radios. It's un molested. Perfect in every way. Zoro rust, 85 thou origonal miles. Documented. So let's go from here. It's the slowest piece of **** I have ever owned. Please chime in, I Hate GOING 35 MILES AN HOUR UP A SMALL INCLINE UP THE FREEWAY.

roddog

I'm not trying to make it a beast, but I am adding tons, 14 bolt ff with a Detroit locker and a Dana 60 front. 3 grand in totally new new front and rear lockers. Just to paint a picture, my new wife and two kids 8000 feet. No help of I don't get it right.

dougco1

I'm not trying to make it a beast, but I am adding tons, 14 bolt ff with a Detroit locker and a Dana 60 front. 3 grand in totally new new front and rear lockers. Just to paint a picture, my new wife and two kids 8000 feet. No help of I don't get it right.
That could be your problem, no air at 8,000 feet.

90Jimmy

Ok, maybe I started off on a wrong foot. Let's go this route. RETIRED ARMY E,7, 100,First infantry. Desert Storm, and desert shield. I bought this 1009 off my commander. Who got it plused out for his retirement. I bought it from him, it's a super rare M 1009. BLAZER, it was a command, vehicle with 4 , ya I said 4 radios. It's un molested. Perfect in every way. Zoro rust, 85 thou origonal miles. Documented. So let's go from here. It's the slowest piece of **** I have ever owned. Please chime in, I Hate GOING 35 MILES AN HOUR UP A SMALL INCLINE UP THE FREEWAY.
Your commander got a retirement gift from the US Army?…they gave him an M1009? You are correct sir, this is a super rare vehicle, hard to believe a guy would part with something of such military significance. It being a POS you should see if your commander would buy it back. If not I’m thinking, new axles, lift kit, turbo, possibly twins on no smaller than 35’s should give you the desired results.... IMHO

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your commander got a retirement gift from the US Army?…they gave him an M1009? You are correct sir, this is a super rare vehicle, hard to believe a guy would part with something of such military significance. It being a POS you should see if your commander would buy it back. If not I’m thinking, new axles, lift kit, turbo, possibly twins on no smaller than 35’s should give you the desired results.... IMHO
The bigger the tires the less power it will have.

cucvrus

If it were mine I would go over the entire fuel system. From the pick up tub in the fuel tank to the delivery nozzles. Cost you less than a $1K to do the labor and all. I think you have delivery issues in the fuel system. I used an M1009 for 20 years as a wood hauler and I loaded a 10ft x 6ft trailer of wood off road and on the highway. Not a rocket but got the job done every time. Good Luck. Sounds like a simple fix. I am glad to hear it is stock. It will last and retain it's value.

90Jimmy

The bigger the tires the less power it will have.
No way...not on this M1009, it’s gonna run like a champ. Twin Turbos...37’s and I predict problem solved, interstate cruising at a smooth 85mph. I’m confident the Commander would only sell the most capable M1009 to his favorite SFC. Maybe if we had a pic or two of this truck and some of this service documentation it would help with problem solving. I’m a visual learner.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way...not on this M1009, it’s gonna run like a champ. Twin Turbos...37’s and I predict problem solved, interstate cruising at a smooth 85mph. I’m confident the Commander would only sell the most capable M1009 to his favorite SFC. Maybe if we had a pic or two of this truck and some of this service documentation it would help with problem solving. I’m a visual learner.
It is a fact by the numbers bigger tires rob power .

[h=1]Rpm/mph calculator[/h]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks