• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lacks power

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed the air filter lately?

You most likely would feel a great improvement with an IP rebuild. Probably some new injectors as well.

Then, if it isn't enough, modify from there.

May as well start out in the best stock power you can get.

Barrman

That was the most informative post yet. So, 35 is not your maximum speed. It is how slow the truck gets on a specific stretch of road. Which is totally different than what you started this thread with.

Ok, there is a point when you are pushing the throttle pedal and nothing happens. When you get to that, look in the mirror and notice the black smoke coming out of both pipes. Back off the throttle until you see no more black smoke. You won't slow down any. But, you will reduce cylinder head temperatures and keep the engine from cooking. Black smoke on an Indirect Injection diesel means bad things.

When you get below 40 mph and you have no black smoke coming out the pipes and still a lot of hill in front of you. Manually downshift to 2nd gear and get back in the throttle a good bit. You should now be able to hold 40-45 without any black smoke. Adjust the throttle by the smoke in the mirror still.

Picking up the engine rpm does two things. It gets the engine above its max power band where the water pump is turning fast enough to keep coolant flow up. Compared to below the 1,800-2,200 rpm max torque range of the engine with a lot of heat being built and not much cooling action going on.

It also gets the transmission pump going faster so transmission fluid is sent to and from the radiator to keep it as cool as possible while it is really being stressed.

Dropping to second gear should let you make the climb in the 40-45 mph range. Then, you just need to be patient. If that isn't your idea of fun. You have 3 options:

Banks Turbo kit. High priced but it includes everything you will need to keep 70 mph for that climb or until your EGT's get to 1,100° whichever comes first.

GM factory 6.5 turbo set up. You will be the designer of how it should fit together and supplier of the multitude of odds and ends that are needed for a complete air intake to tail pipe install. GM had several different versions of the 6.5 turbo. All seem to choke themselves out at about 2,300 rpm. It is cheaper than the Banks kit though.

Leave the M1009 at home and drive your Cummins on those drives.

Michael

Thanks, I will do a run thru of the fuel system. And yes she has all ways run this way. I can do 70 mph easy on flat freeway, it's the long inclines, say going to Reno from San jose, that once I start loosing momentum, I'm down to 35 mph top speed the rest of the way.
]
Since the highest point in Mississippi is 800 feet, I will defer to others as far as that one stretch of road but it still sounds too sluggish to me. There are several good threads about fuel lines here. I seem to remember one about the external appearance looking good but the inside being collapsed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In-tank fuel sock clean?

cucvrus

In-tank fuel sock clean?
Golly gee wilikers why didn't I think of all this back at post 18. Must be my first trip around the block in an M1009. It is definitely fuel restriction issues. Even with a trailer load of wood I can navigate the mountains of Pennsylvania at 45 on a bad day in a stock M1009. But lets keep up guessing. We are bound to come up with something different. https://youtu.be/mk7VWcuVOf0

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cucvrus has spoken, no need for anyone else to post. :deadhorse:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wish, I can lock this thread and you can take your advice to PM(so nobody can learn from it)and the OP can keep it all to himself after his issue is resolved(defeating the purpose of this forum).

Let me know

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I think a precedent was set in this thread pretty quickly based upon poor choice of words, spelling and perhaps dis-information by the OP. I don't know anything about the guy but it started out rather confusing as to what the issue was other than the truck struggles in hills.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gutless no power, I always thought that was normal for them, I never drove one that wasn't like that?
Karl

90Jimmy

gutless no power, I always thought that was normal for them, I never drove one that wasn't like that?
Karl
Gutless and No Power, That settles it then. OP has no issues, the Kernels M1009 is functioning as designed.... I like mine even more now, neither of them seem down on the power or guts I would expect a NA 6.2 to produce....resale value increased!!!!! I can’t believe GM/Dertroit Diesel couldn’t or wouldn’t design and produce and power plant that mirrors the performance of a modern day Diesel Engine and install them in vehicles produced in the mid 80’s.

I suspect my current Duramax will be Gutlesss and Down on Power within 30 years.....rip off

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gutless and No Power, That settles it then. OP has no issues, the Kernels M1009 is functioning as designed.... I like mine even more now, neither of them seem down on the power or guts I would expect a NA 6.2 to produce....resale value increased!!!!! I can’t believe GM/Dertroit Diesel couldn’t or wouldn’t design and produce and power plant that mirrors the performance of a modern day Diesel Engine and install them in vehicles produced in the mid 80’s.

I suspect my current Duramax will be Gutlesss and Down on Power within 30 years.....rip off
Yeah whopping 135hp should be snapping your neck when you drop it in gear.:rolleyes:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Now I may be a little off on rodoggs assessment of the condition of the condition, but he dose hav the Dodge and may be makin fun of the powerhouse 6.2.

Maybe

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Antennaclimber had already made the request that people act a little better in this thread. It's no longer a request. Next childish posting will earn points for the poster.

roddog

Hi guys, all the suggestions really got me thinking about fuel issues. So I was poking around and noticed the fuel line had been replaced with rubber hose. And I will be a monkeys uncle. I found a poorly run section that was compressed almost flat. Secondly I found that the throttle cable was Jerry rigged near the IP AND WASNT OPENING FULLY, WITH THE PEDAL MASHED DOWN. It had another 1 inch of travel to go. Last but not least, the clutch on the fan was Soo sticky I could barely turn it Now it all makes sense why only long freeway climbs were an issue. I took photos but I'm not sure how to upload.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those items when fixed should definitely make a difference.

I still recommend using a fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam.
Will keep your entire fuel system happy.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading this fiasco, I was going to ask the OP if he had installed a floor mat. A thick floor mat can make it so the pedal won't get to full throttle....but it seems he found some issues. Good job!

roddog

Wow. The gas pedal cable was a total mess. Bought the ca-8503 cable and super carefully took off the second crimp. Now? Never seen so much pedal travel. I can't test her out yet, I have two coolers arriving tomorrow for the trans and oil. Never liked the whole all in 1 cooling rad idea. Gotta keep it separated. Lol I think that's a song.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks