• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lacks power

Matt5

Banned
Ok guys, let's read thouroughly, the commander, got His command vehicle thru the MILITARY AUCTION SITE. He was informed it was being plused out, he was lucky enough to bid properly, to get it. NO LAWS BROKEN. He developed palsy sindrom. Wanted a Cadillac. Asked 4 k. That's how it went down. Moving forward.. She was bone stock, ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION. FROM DAY,1 ..1985 until I bought it 5 years ago. Been running it for 5 years in Sunnyvale , CA. SOO... Moving forward.. she runs like a Swiss watch, kicks ass, the only complaint I have is long hi way , climbs. She won't go over 35 mph. Sea level to 8000 feet and between. So picture this ? She is getting 33 inch tires, a 14 bolt rear with a locker. Keeping the 10 bolt front with 30 spline upgrade and a locker. Both upgrades cost me 2 k. . My radiator took a crap. So. I purchased a aluminum replacement. I don't like mixing trans fluid, oil, and water. So ..I'm adding separate oil, and trans coolers.and electric fans.
Um, its thoroughly, phased? I think idk wtf "plused" is..., syndrome, HIGHWAY...
Can't run like a Swiss watch and have an issue but... I will say I understand your point...
Please use way less periods...

I mean if you are going to say "okay guys let's read thouroughly" the LEAST you can do is get a basic word like highway right...

Is it down shifting? what are the revs doing?
How does it shift
Can you pull it into first and wind it up (half ass checking filters for plugging)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um, its thoroughly, phased? I think idk wtf "plused" is..., syndrome, HIGHWAY...
Can't run like a Swiss watch and have an issue but... I will say I understand your point...
Please use way less periods...

I mean if you are going to say "okay guys let's read thouroughly" the LEAST you can do is get a basic word like highway right...
thoroughly

Is it down shifting? what are the revs doing?
How does it shift
Can you pull it into first and wind it up (half ass checking filters for plugging)
Pot calling the kettle black.

And you posting like your texting is any better than his post ?

roddog

Wow, what a group. I'm sorry if my spell check changed spelling. And I'm Soo sorry, I paid only 4 k for the truck. And I'm Soo sorry a member pointed out that the m1009 doesn't mix oil , water, and trans fluid.... Here's some extra periods for you ....The Chevy Blazer uses a all encompassing rad. MEANING.... OIL COOLING, TRANS COOLING, AND WATER. What happens when it fails? OOPS, OIL MIXES WITH WATER, TRANS FLUID, MIXES with water AND ALL MOVING PARTS, are screwed. I just separated all 3 systems. When 1 fails, i replace, 1 item. Trans fails? Trans replace. Cooling system fails, no trans damage, nor tranny.

roddog

Thank you for your help. So this is how it's gonna go. 33s 14 bolt rear axle, with Detroit locker, 10 bolt front, upgraded to 30 spline, and a Detroit locker. Brand new aluminum rad. Two 16 inch fans, separate oil and trans coolers. Rated at 40 thousand gvw each. Meaning it's for semi trucks. Over cooling ? I know. But. When zombies or gov comes?

90Jimmy

Wow, what a group. I'm sorry if my spell check changed spelling. And I'm Soo sorry, I paid only 4 k for the truck. And I'm Soo sorry a member pointed out that the m1009 doesn't mix oil , water, and trans fluid.... Here's some extra periods for you ....The Chevy Blazer uses a all encompassing rad. MEANING.... OIL COOLING, TRANS COOLING, AND WATER. What happens when it fails? OOPS, OIL MIXES WITH WATER, TRANS FLUID, MIXES with water AND ALL MOVING PARTS, are screwed. I just separated all 3 systems. When 1 fails, i replace, 1 item. Trans fails? Trans replace. Cooling system fails, no trans damage, nor tranny.
Your lack of the basic understanding how the radiator functions in your M1009 is causing concern about your claim of being an ASE certified mechanic. The risk of transmission fluid contaminating coolant is a non issue. If a radiator sustained enough damage to allow these fluids to exist in the same space said radiator would be leaking profusely and no longer be serviceable. Your non existing M1009 would be so badly damaged you wouldn’t be able to pretend own it anymore

Secondly, you seem to have a lack of written communications skills, again causing doubts that you are a retired E-7 in my United States Army. Certainly not a Sniper.... You can’t even spell Colonel!!!

Enough of of this nonsense, people who contribute to this site and have attempted to help you with these made up problems deserve better....and now should know better than to placate to your nonsense.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your help. So this is how it's gonna go. 33s 14 bolt rear axle, with Detroit locker, 10 bolt front, upgraded to 30 spline, and a Detroit locker. Brand new aluminum rad. Two 16 inch fans, separate oil and trans coolers. Rated at 40 thousand gvw each. Meaning it's for semi trucks. Over cooling ? I know. But. When zombies or gov comes?
That's more like for a U-Haul than a "semi". 80K is normal for a semi , normal here is 160K.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still think his problem is a stopped-up turbo encabulator. I had a similar power issue until I cleaned mine out. Now my truck runs like a scalded dog.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She runs like a raped ape, it's just long inclines, that's my only issue........JEEZE EXTRA PERIODS , JUST CAUSE.
Curb weight of 5200 lbs and a whopping 135 HP and it runs like a "raped ape" , this thread just keeps getting more like something that should be on comedy central .

nyoffroad

I too am ASC certified and ICAR trained, I spent over 20 years in collision shops and I have never seen a oil cooler leak into the rad UNLESS it was damaged in an accident.
So we can put that to rest, now if you want to separate them for cooling purposes then that's a different story!
You lose speed /power on long hills and your making it worse by adding extra weight (14 bolt and bigger tires) that's going to slow you down even more add in taller tires and your compounding the problem. Somewhere you have a mechanical problem like fuel or air restriction(ever consider a fresh air intake?) or low compression. Miles mean a lot but so does ENGINE HOURS! 4 radios means lots and LOTS of engine idling. Find and fix ONE problem at a time don't just keep throwing stuff like axles, tires and turd blowers at it trying mask the real problem it's a low horse power 6.2L operating at high altitude.

nyoffroad

She runs like a raped ape, it's just long inclines, that's my only issue........JEEZE EXTRA PERIODS , JUST CAUSE.
Umm, fuel pump not maintaining pressure? Fuel filter plugged, fuel line crushed? Any or all would cause it to run fine for a bit then on long pulls lose power.

nyoffroad

Curb weight of 5200 lbs and a whopping 135 HP and it runs like a "raped ape" , this thread just keeps getting more like something that should be on comedy central .
My 1008 runs like a raped ape too. I know if I was raped I might want to run fast but doubt I could! I'd probably run like and old heavy under powered M1008!

Michael

From reading the whole thread I can reassure you that there is something wrong with your truck. It sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel. Unless you stay on topic and answer pertinent questions we won't be able to help. The most glaring one is, is this a new problem or has it always run like this?

90Jimmy

From reading the whole thread I can reassure you that there is something wrong with your truck. It sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel. Unless you stay on topic and answer pertinent questions we won't be able to help. The most glaring one is, is this a new problem or has it always run like this?
Can you be certain there is a truck?.....after reading the entire thread.

roddog

Thanks, I will do a run thru of the fuel system. And yes she has all ways run this way. I can do 70 mph easy on flat freeway, it's the long inclines, say going to Reno from San jose, that once I start loosing momentum, I'm down to 35 mph top speed the rest of the way.
]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks