• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rookie Diesel Operator, CUCVII ran out of fuel

Scott67

Good evening. As a novice to the diesel world I ran my cucv2 bone dry and couldn't get the truck started. I had the truck flat bedded to a shop that charged me $130 to get it started. I've learned since then that running a motor dry is opening up a can of worms. Im trying to diagnose a residual problem I have since running out of fuel. At higher speeds the truck now hesitates and sounds like I loose power. I take my foot off the accelerator apply pressure and truck continues down the road. I purchased Hot Shot diesel extreme hoping it would clear any potential clog. It hasn't helped. Im hoping some members may had some insight for this issue! Thanks Scott

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the shop replace the fuel filters ?
If so it could be a plugged sock on the fuel pick-up in the tank .
This would be a place to start.

Scott67

No they just just primed the system and charged the battery since I ran it down to zero trying to over start it. Makes sense about the filter. Higher speeds need more fuel. Lower speeds the clog isn't bad enough to notice.

fasttruck

See if the -10 manual has any instructions on restarting the vehicle when out of fuel. With a 1009 you put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, remove the pink wire to the injector pump so the fuel on off valve will remain closed, open the bleeder on the fuel filter and crank the engine over until it (the bleeder) stops spitting air. Then reinstall the pink wire and start the engine. Never had a hummer but I would imagine the procedure is similar.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if the -10 manual has any instructions on restarting the vehicle when out of fuel. With a 1009 you put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, remove the pink wire to the injector pump so the fuel on off valve will remain closed, open the bleeder on the fuel filter and crank the engine over until it (the bleeder) stops spitting air. Then reinstall the pink wire and start the engine. Never had a hummer but I would imagine the procedure is similar.
It's a CUCV II . Found these TM's
[h=1]Cucv ii/iii lssv[/h]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV2 is 6.5 turbocharged with electronic engine controls. Do you have check engine light, if so pull codes. Is your electric lift pump running, on mine you can hear it when you turn the key and wait to start.

Scott67

Thanks for all the input. This morning I started the truck and the rpm's jumped all over the place. I tapped the accelerator and the truck had a mind of its own. It would fluctuate from 600 to 4000rpms. Did some search on it and it all sounds like a bad PMD controller. Ends up GM mounted it in the hottest area of the engine causing failure. Common problem with the 6.5L. Aftermarket has a relocation kit that will keep a new one cool. I'll give you an update when I replace the PMD! Thanks, Scott

Scott67

A local town had the cucv2 sitting in there garage for a couple years. They never used it and didn't want to continue paying insurance on it. I was high bid. Rock solid work horse...blessed to be so lucky!

Scott67

Thanks for the TMs...loads of solid information. My cucvee is a 1999 but looks like these manuals are the same. These are going to be very helpful! The manuals even show how to mount a front winch that I've been searching for. Been trying to figure out how to mount the bracket around the brush guard. It's all spelled out!

319cssb

A local town had the cucv2 sitting in there garage for a couple years. They never used it and didn't want to continue paying insurance on it. I was high bid. Rock solid work horse...blessed to be so lucky!
Very cool Scott. I always wanted a CUCVII :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone told me the diesel pickups had an issue with some kind of fuel tank lining coming unattached and plugging the pickup tube. My truck has a new tank, so maybe there is validity to the story. Something to keep in mind.
On the PMD, the diesel fuel running through the injection pump is supposed to cool the electronics, maybe running out of diesel is what cooked the PMD, if that truly ends up being the issue.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Use a quality PMD relocation kit, not the cheapest you can find. I used the cable from Leroy diesel and heatsink from Heath. It is mounted on the front skid guard.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ill post some pics when I get a chance.

If you run it out of fuel again, just pull the glow plugs and crank the motor till fuel mists out the holes. Put the the GP back in and fire her up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks