• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803A high price

DBerlin

Hey guys, I’ve had my eye on some really nice, low hour 803a’s on the auction sites and their winning bid prices have been alarmingly high to me (some north of $5k). Any thoughts or ideas if I hold out the prices may begin to decline? Just curious if the pros on the forum foresee it getting more expensive and I should just go for it now before it gets worse. Thanks

69birdman

Hey guys, I’ve had my eye on some really nice, low hour 803a’s on the auction sites and their winning bid prices have been alarmingly high to me (some north of $5k). Any thoughts or ideas if I hold out the prices may begin to decline? Just curious if the pros on the forum foresee it getting more expensive and I should just go for it now before it gets worse. Thanks
I think you placed your query in the wrong thread to get much response. This thread was about replacement engine's. Otherwise , yes 803s are going for ridiculous prices for low hour , in my opinion, unproven units.
You can search around and find a few hundred to few thousand hour gen sets for 3 to 4 k.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I feel your pain but I was lucky in getting a GETT trailer last year. And it's not just generators. Trailer prices suck also. All prices on everything are going high. Another reason why I am moving on with my life.

smokem joe

Ever since Ritchie Bothers took over things have been to high. There was an 813a 400hz unit that sold out of Georgia a year ago for almost 10K!!

Bmxenbrett

At $5k your near the price of a new civilization unit.

A few years ago you could buy a 2hr 803 for just under 2k.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few SS users who offer machines for sale, that have been fully gone through. Are you certain you need/want a low hour machine? The 1-2500hr range does have good values in them, considering todays running average prices. And are you SURE you need the amperage that an 803 puts out? Thats always the question I ask potential folks looking at machines. You need to size a machine to its REALISTIC use. Generac and all the others have done a great job convincing people that bigger is better. Its just not true when it comes to diesel gensets.

Chainbreaker

...And are you SURE you need the amperage that an 803 puts out? Thats always the question I ask potential folks looking at machines. You need to size a machine to its REALISTIC use. Generac and all the others have done a great job convincing people that bigger is better. Its just not true when it comes to diesel gensets.
Exactly! One's own intended usage is what is relevant. Are you single, a couple, or a family of eight? Is it just for emergency power outage backup in order to just get by? Scenario #1: Running refrigerators/freezers, well pump, sewage pump, lights, small appliances, blower motors, with some gas appliances? Or are you "all electric" and are needing to run a full electric house load? Scenario #2: HVAC, electric hot water, electric cook top, plus typical electrical appliances, etc?

Before deciding on what size genset to buy one needs to do a home energy audit. Most appliances have electrical stickers/placards stating their electrical consumption. Make a list and add it all up, factoring in that most of them will not be used simultaneously at the same time. However, if you want to allow for that (large family scenario) you can. Remember, that most military gensets are rated to run at ~125% output for an hour (with altitude factors).

If you size your genset appropriately you will thank yourself when your faced with an extended multiple day outage and fuel reserves become a factor.

Bmxenbrett

My house is mostly all electric becids the heat. I do just fine with a 802a. Can run the electric stove and take a hot shower while lights are on like normal. I have a heat pump water heater and 1/2hp 240v well pump.

What i cant do is use the 3ton central air and i dont use the electric dryer. It runs the dryer but is about 2-3amps from overload. At half the fuel burn rate i stuck with a 802a. I hang dry my clothes if need be and have a cheap window AC unit.

Chainbreaker

At $5k your near the price of a new civilization unit.

A few years ago you could buy a 2hr 803 for just under 2k.
Yeah, if approaching the $5k threshold I'm then considering a new Perkin's diesel genset with a warranty. I'll build a nice sound deadened genset enclosure, probably on the order of a Tough Shed sized customized purpose built generator shed with storage for maintenance items, etc. It would be the envy of my rural neighborhood...lol :-D

jamawieb

I'll have a 803a with 25 hours ready in the next couple of weeks, with brand new optima red tops. I have a couple with 1500-2000hrs, also.

Last edited by a moderator:

justicelee26

Everyone started to see how good they really are and now everyone wants them, thus bringing up the price. I had to look for almost a year before I found a good deal on one and it was with the help of someone on this site. That being said, prices may go down a bit when the military starts surplussing more AMMPS generators.

If you do want to pick up a new civilian generator, Hardy Diesel has a 7kw 1800 rpm with a 3 cylinder Kabota engine. It comes with an enclosure and seems pretty comparable to the MEP 802 and 803. Just something to consider.

csheath

Seems I've read as many or more horror stories on the low hour units. I think a 2000 hour unit is more likely to be a good investment. Mine had 2600 hours on the clock and took very little to get sorted out.

BUT I have said many times that I would go to Hardy and look before I would pay over half the price of a modern new unit. Their Perkins powered units are pretty attractive. You may have to build your own enclosure and do some exhaust work to save a buck but at least the generator and engine would be brand new with a modern controller. Just doesn't make good sense to buy and unknown used MIL unit for the prices they are getting.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were buying today personally, I am not sure what I would do. The market is definitely softening on prices, but its still rather high. I'd probably be doing some sort of cogen system, but the MEP works well for now :)

tktsales

I bought one about 3 years ago with 6 hrs on it for under $2000, a new set of batteries and a minor fuel leak and its been a great unit. I just bought 2 more earlier this week (Sorry if I outbid anyone here). It was too convenient of a location for me in South Boston VA about 30 min from me.. I am building a pole barn on the far side of my property where I will need occasional power. Of the 2 I bought one had about 150 hrs and was already cannibalized a little. Injector missing, timing gearing is apart and its missing the fault indicator panel. The 2nd unit had 240 hours and is a running unit. I figured it would be a good idea to have a parts unit since I will be running 2 units on my property.. I just picked them up yesterday so other then getting them unloaded I have not had time to really check them over. I was just shy of $5000 for the pair with tax and all fees.. While it was a bit more than I wanted to pay I am still happy with the buy. I did see a few others at the location when I picked these up.. I think there was at least one 803 with 1500ish hours and an 802 that I did not check hours on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks