Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 803A high price

Private
    Thanks

Default 803A high price

Hey guys, Ive had my eye on some really nice, low hour 803as on the auction sites and their winning bid prices have been alarmingly high to me (some north of $5k). Any thoughts or ideas if I hold out the prices may begin to decline? Just curious if the pros on the forum foresee it getting more expensive and I should just go for it now before it gets worse. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DBerlin View Post
    Hey guys, I’ve had my eye on some really nice, low hour 803a’s on the auction sites and their winning bid prices have been alarmingly high to me (some north of $5k). Any thoughts or ideas if I hold out the prices may begin to decline? Just curious if the pros on the forum foresee it getting more expensive and I should just go for it now before it gets worse. Thanks
    I think you placed your query in the wrong thread to get much response. This thread was about replacement engine's. Otherwise , yes 803s are going for ridiculous prices for low hour , in my opinion, unproven units.
    You can search around and find a few hundred to few thousand hour gen sets for 3 to 4 k.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69birdman For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (03-21-2019), Zed254 (03-21-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,342 Posts

Moved to a new thread.
    HMIC of BEEFCO Industries world wide.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MWMULES For This Useful Post:

69birdman (03-20-2019), Guyfang (03-21-2019)

The Envelope Please. Steel Soldiers Vendor CARNAC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 Times in 1,805 Posts

I feel your pain but I was lucky in getting a GETT trailer last year. And it's not just generators. Trailer prices suck also. All prices on everything are going high. Another reason why I am moving on with my life.
    No longer the Common Man
    --
    'But I have dreamed a dreary dream, Beyond the Isle of Skye;
    I saw a dead man win a fight, And I think that man was I.'
    --
    Hereby declaring open season on good idea fairies and there is no bag limit!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CARNAC For This Useful Post:

98G (03-21-2019), FloridaAKM (03-21-2019), Guyfang (03-21-2019)

General
    Thanks

Ever since Ritchie Bothers took over things have been to high. There was an 813a 400hz unit that sold out of Georgia a year ago for almost 10K!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smokem joe For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (03-21-2019)

Private
    Thanks

I have 4 of these, I can deal if you wanna talk.. thanx mac/mc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcii For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (03-21-2019)

General
    Thanks

At $5k your near the price of a new civilization unit.

A few years ago you could buy a 2hr 803 for just under 2k.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

There are a few SS users who offer machines for sale, that have been fully gone through. Are you certain you need/want a low hour machine? The 1-2500hr range does have good values in them, considering todays running average prices. And are you SURE you need the amperage that an 803 puts out? Thats always the question I ask potential folks looking at machines. You need to size a machine to its REALISTIC use. Generac and all the others have done a great job convincing people that bigger is better. Its just not true when it comes to diesel gensets.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (03-21-2019)

2 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    ...And are you SURE you need the amperage that an 803 puts out? Thats always the question I ask potential folks looking at machines. You need to size a machine to its REALISTIC use. Generac and all the others have done a great job convincing people that bigger is better. Its just not true when it comes to diesel gensets.
    Exactly! One's own intended usage is what is relevant. Are you single, a couple, or a family of eight? Is it just for emergency power outage backup in order to just get by? Scenario #1: Running refrigerators/freezers, well pump, sewage pump, lights, small appliances, blower motors, with some gas appliances? Or are you "all electric" and are needing to run a full electric house load? Scenario #2: HVAC, electric hot water, electric cook top, plus typical electrical appliances, etc?

Before deciding on what size genset to buy one needs to do a home energy audit. Most appliances have electrical stickers/placards stating their electrical consumption. Make a list and add it all up, factoring in that most of them will not be used simultaneously at the same time. However, if you want to allow for that (large family scenario) you can. Remember, that most military gensets are rated to run at ~125% output for an hour (with altitude factors).

If you size your genset appropriately you will thank yourself when your faced with an extended multiple day outage and fuel reserves become a factor.
    #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #3 Shop Gen NF-2 Enclosure: MEP-002a w/Aux Tank

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. Any information or suggestions I share could sometimes be inaccurate or misinterpreted. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

General
    Thanks

My house is mostly all electric becids the heat. I do just fine with a 802a. Can run the electric stove and take a hot shower while lights are on like normal. I have a heat pump water heater and 1/2hp 240v well pump.

What i cant do is use the 3ton central air and i dont use the electric dryer. It runs the dryer but is about 2-3amps from overload. At half the fuel burn rate i stuck with a 802a. I hang dry my clothes if need be and have a cheap window AC unit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast