• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Swimming or Skinny Dipping

Terra1936

I am curious what is needed to swim a goat? I have read that the winch and other accessories may not let it swim? I also saw somewhere that a surf kit need to be installed for non still water, like beach landing? Anyone with real experience? There are a couple of videos on you tube but no details?
Thanks!

diesel583

Don't forget to put the hull plugs in. Local LEO's found out the hard way, it was kind of funny. Nothing but the headlights showing when we got there with the wrecker

Aussiecowboy

I've only swum mine once but I certainly wouldn't have wanted a winch on the front or any sort of waves, that water is awful close. It's a very bizarre feeling. There are pecial maintenance tasks to be done after a swim too, if you skip them you'll likely end up rebuilding all your hubs.

dmetalmiki

I am curious what is needed to swim a goat?,
Hmmm, Well some water!, (and not like 10,000 fathoms deep.)
Some 'courage'.
A Long rope (Leash!) And a capable 'something' to pull it back to shore if it goes awry.
And as said previously make sure the two underbelly plugs are inserted and tight.
Make sure the bilge pump works.
The M561 only traverses water that has a very moderate swell and little current.
The T.M. has the complete water crossing preparation data.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You only have a couple of inches of freeboard on the Goat so any swells can easily swamp it. The winch will make it nose heavy which is why they advise against swimming with one but it's handy if you want to "pre-connect" to something and back down a boat ramp. In the event of sinkage you know where to find the Goat :)

Jericho

Marines strapped empty 55 gallon sealed drums on them if they had a winch installed, Don't need surf kit. Just enter easy and gradual. Follow instructions . attach a cable to rear pintle hook. CHECK STATE LAWS!!!! In NH its illegal to enter a stream .river pond lake ect with a motor vehicle BUT get a hull number and register as a boat and your good to go GET INSURENCE , you sink it your paying!

Terra1936

I am curious what is needed to swim a goat?,
Hmmm, Well some water!, (and not like 10,000 fathoms deep.)
Some 'courage'.
A Long rope (Leash!) And a capable 'something' to pull it back to shore if it goes awry.
And as said previously make sure the two underbelly plugs are inserted and tight.
Make sure the bilge pump works.
The M561 only traverses water that has a very moderate swell and little current.
The T.M. has the complete water crossing preparation data.
Water? Gama Water?
Courage? Do you have the Wizards address?
Leash? If I am on shore who would be sailing? :)
I did not see the info in tech manual? I will look again. I thought there were three plugs?
Thanks for the info!

CombatJack

Hahaha those ole plugs..... If anyone has any of those plugs, my Goat is missing the front big plug on the tractor. I'll buy it off of someone who has one, or if you have one I can borrow to machine a new one, let me know!

SgtMajHarper

Best of luck with your endeavors and please get us a video of the launching and hopefully very successful swim. Somewhere buried in the archives in here is a funny little tale of a guy floating his Goat for the first time with a buddy on shore giving him guidance....it's a real hoot.

You are a braver man than me, as much as I would really like to try it, I'm going to have to keep mine ashore. It's a Marine Goat and I have the issue surf kit for it; my issues are no drain plugs, a big heavy winch on the front (I worry about weight distribution and water leakage where the shaft enters the cab) and the biggest problem is that sometime in my Goats past it was driven over a very angry big rock which chewed up the bottom of the tractor under the engine and left an @ 2' square ragged hole. Plus I'm 6-5, 250 with a gubmint installed knee and it's an event in itself just to cork screw myself in and out of the driver's seat. I envision myself trying to dog paddle and keep the Goat afloat by willpower alone in case of a submarine situation and have chosen to sit out on this type of adventure.

I have two issue personal floatation devices for the crew which will never be used because of this but that's ok because the M-60 machine gun is just for display also.

Honestly tho.....wish you the best and would like to see it happen....... get lots of pictures!!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been told by Goat owners to swim one, one should put fitted 2 x 10s along the sides of the driving compartment to add some badly needed freeboard, insert all plugs, turn on the bilge pump on high, and ease into the water only if there are no waves or wind. A long rope on the pintle is advisable until you get the hang of things.

LanceRobson

I was a light infantry mortar section fire direction computer in both the 9th Infantry Division and the Berlin Brigade in the 1970s and early 1980s. We used Goats as mortar carriers and as one of only two sergeants in the company with no troops assigned I was the (additional duty) Motor Sergeant in both units. As it's been since about 1980 in West Berlin since I floated a Goat my memory is a bit fuzzy but the TM is a pretty good starting point for you.

If memory serves (but the TM will confirm or deny) you can float with any two of the standard accessory kits (IE winch, MG etc) but be cognizant of balance. A winch and MG add a fair bit of nose end weight and the low free-board is already kind of strong pucker factor without them. Nearly empty fuel tanks can add some flotation but may effect balance.

Make sure that you don't have the cab on it. You would be far from the first drowning victim trapped by one. If you MUST swim with the cab be sure and strap and not bungee cord the door open or remove the door. A bungee cord won't hold up to the water trying to push the door closed.

In addition to all the other things covered I'd advise that you don't wear heavy boots. They can get hung up in the pedals while you are trying to bail out. We also used to ditch the seat cushion to make rolling out of the cab easier.

Run it into shallow water first to check all the lower hull openings like axle and drive line seals before swimming it. The first time you float it on any given swim attempt I'd advise having a stout tow rope hooked to the pintle and run it slowly into a very gently sloping entry point (preferably with a stone bottom and not sticky mud....) until you are floating and staying afloat. Have the recovery vehicle on firm ground with all axles engaged and and alert operator that you trust with your life-literally trust with your life. If you get into trouble you will still have your head above water, be able to pop the gear shift into neutral, kill the engine, signal your tow vehicle and get dragged out. Remember that a Goat filled with water is a lot heavier than an empty Goat so be sure that your tow rope and recovery vehicle can handle the load.

Put enough water into the hull to test the bilge pump before swimming. And be sure that any pump hoses and seals aren't dry rotted. After all, you baby could be pushing 50 years old and those parts aren't exactly high on the routine inspection and replacement list.

And be darn sure that your tailgate is dead flat, that the seal is soft and not "dead" and that it makes a good seal all the way around. A leaking tailgate will sink you faster than no drain plugs-it's a lot bigger opening. We used to fill the carrier with water to see if the seal was OK.

Lastly, pay attention to the TM for approach and departure angles. It doesn't take much of a slope to turn a Gamma Goat into a submarine. Like an M113, a Goat has so little free-board that it is easy to drive one right to the bottom of the pond (or have one fill up on exiting) on a too steep slope.

Well, enough of my rambling....

Lance

Terra1936

I was a light infantry mortar section fire direction computer in both the 9th Infantry Division and the Berlin Brigade in the 1970s and early 1980s. We used Goats as mortar carriers and as one of only two sergeants in the company with no troops assigned I was the (additional duty) Motor Sergeant in both units. As it's been since about 1980 in West Berlin since I floated a Goat my memory is a bit fuzzy but the TM is a pretty good starting point for you.

If memory serves (but the TM will confirm or deny) you can float with any two of the standard accessory kits (IE winch, MG etc) but be cognizant of balance. A winch and MG add a fair bit of nose end weight and the low free-board is already kind of strong pucker factor without them. Nearly empty fuel tanks can add some flotation but may effect balance.

Make sure that you don't have the cab on it. You would be far from the first drowning victim trapped by one. If you MUST swim with the cab be sure and strap and not bungee cord the door open or remove the door. A bungee cord won't hold up to the water trying to push the door closed.

In addition to all the other things covered I'd advise that you don't wear heavy boots. They can get hung up in the pedals while you are trying to bail out. We also used to ditch the seat cushion to make rolling out of the cab easier.

Run it into shallow water first to check all the lower hull openings like axle and drive line seals before swimming it. The first time you float it on any given swim attempt I'd advise having a stout tow rope hooked to the pintle and run it slowly into a very gently sloping entry point (preferably with a stone bottom and not sticky mud....) until you are floating and staying afloat. Have the recovery vehicle on firm ground with all axles engaged and and alert operator that you trust with your life-literally trust with your life. If you get into trouble you will still have your head above water, be able to pop the gear shift into neutral, kill the engine, signal your tow vehicle and get dragged out. Remember that a Goat filled with water is a lot heavier than an empty Goat so be sure that your tow rope and recovery vehicle can handle the load.

Put enough water into the hull to test the bilge pump before swimming. And be sure that any pump hoses and seals aren't dry rotted. After all, you baby could be pushing 50 years old and those parts aren't exactly high on the routine inspection and replacement list.

And be darn sure that your tailgate is dead flat, that the seal is soft and not "dead" and that it makes a good seal all the way around. A leaking tailgate will sink you faster than no drain plugs-it's a lot bigger opening. We used to fill the carrier with water to see if the seal was OK.

Lastly, pay attention to the TM for approach and departure angles. It doesn't take much of a slope to turn a Gamma Goat into a submarine. Like an M113, a Goat has so little free-board that it is easy to drive one right to the bottom of the pond (or have one fill up on exiting) on a too steep slope.

Well, enough of my rambling....

Lance
Lance,
Your response is awesome! The detail and experience is exactly what I was wondering. It sounds like there were many Gama Boats that did not work as planned as opposed to Gama Goats! Thanks Again!

LanceRobson

Lance,
Your response is awesome! The detail and experience is exactly what I was wondering. It sounds like there were many Gama Boats that did not work as planned as opposed to Gama Goats! Thanks Again!
No problem. It's a good thing we live so far apart or I might be silly enough to help you try floating that dang thing.

That would be sure to peg out my wife's "Fun Meter"! It's bad enough that refuses to give back my two year old Sig P220 in .45 ACP that she took a liking to (it's become her favorite plinking pistol), she'd likely use the thing on me if she knew I was going to swim a Goat.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks