• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how much zddp additive?

Katavic918

Hey all, I looked around and can't really find a specific answer to how much zddp I should add to my ldt465. I am using conventional rotella 1540 and zddplus brand additive in 4oz bottles. I am the type of person who tends to over do things. So far I have added 2 4oz bottles to a fresh oil change. I decided on 2 because of a post by Rustystud but he was using synthetic rotella. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

rustystud

Hey all, I looked around and can't really find a specific answer to how much zddp I should add to my ldt465. I am using conventional rotella 1540 and zddplus brand additive in 4oz bottles. I am the type of person who tends to over do things. So far I have added 2 4oz bottles to a fresh oil change. I decided on 2 because of a post by Rustystud but he was using synthetic rotella. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
I would stay with just the two bottles even for the conventional oil. Both have about the same amount of ZDDP in their oil so two 4oz bottles is fine. Since I wrote that I have found you can over do it on the ZDDP additive. So stick to the two bottles.

davidb56

I tried to post a study on ZDDP...I failed. the condensed version is 1200ppm-1800 is good, over 1800 is not. most oils have around 800-900 because the goober mint says it pollutes. Diesels and race cars need more, especially during break-in. We ran Delo in our diesel and natural gas engines.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to post a study on ZDDP...I failed. the condensed version is 1200ppm-1800 is good, over 1800 is not. most oils have around 800-900 because the goober mint says it pollutes. Diesels and race cars need more, especially during break-in. We ran Delo in our diesel and natural gas engines.
Yep my last Blackstone came back at 1242 and Rotella no additives. I don't ever add any but as said Rotella or Delo and no worries and always good reports. Always best to have it tested if you think your oil can not match up to these. Lets see some more Blackstone reports from other OP's if you got them.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

That pretty much matches up with what I've been reading. Though the reports I've read say 2000 PPM is the max for ZDDP for a well broken in engine. Now if your breaking in a "rebuilt" engine they say to use up to 5000 PPM for the first 2000 miles. Cam and tappet wear is the biggest issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks