• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Transfer Case Lube Tube View

wsucougarx

Hey guys, what have you done to make viewing your transfer case lube tube easier? Taking that doghouse off to make sure your lube pump is still primed is a pain. I did the Lucas Oil Stabilizer trick to help prevent the pump from losing prime. However, while trying to troubleshoot, I found my transfer case had lost it's prime. It resulted in a clunking sound after she was warmed up. Luckily, the damage was not permanent. After this experience, I will be on edge to make sure the transfer case is still getting lubed.
So, what have you done? I recall seeing a thread where someone extended a clear hose up through the doghouse.

Aussiecowboy

That was me, see attached video. If it hasn't primed in the first 50' of driving then I'll pop the transfer into neutral and idle it in first until it does. It pumps more oil idling in first than it does in higher gears or at higher revs.

Attachments

BillIdaho

When it started to make that "clunking noise", what exactly was the noise attributed to, and what was done to fix it?
Who in the world will work on a Goat transfer case?! AAMCO sure won't!!

Aussiecowboy

There are still army reconditioned transfer cases available. When I got my goat it had less than 2000 miles on it and the transfer was junk due to lack of oil, it was cheaper to replace it than work on it.

wsucougarx

I''ve got 4 transfer cases on standby should this one go south on me. Just will need to figure out how to get it out of there. May just need to muscle it out.

m38inmaine

It doesn't pump oil if your transmission is in neutral, to test it in a "static" mode you need to put your transfer case in neutral and your transmission in gear then it will pump. If it has sat for a while this is a good way to prime it before hitting the open road.

wsucougarx

Maybe it’s my oil pump, but she pumps with the transfer case and tranny are in neural (video shows she’s pumping). Albeit slower than if she was in 1st gear. Quirky vehicles they are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks