• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello Everyone

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I was already in contact with Dennis but he said they still have a bit of snow cover up there and it is a real muck-fest at the moment now in his yard with the spring thaw finally here. So I need to give it a couple of weeks for it to clear up. But I will be headed up there as soon as conditions at his place improve.
Made the mistake of mentioning my 5-ton interest to him when we talked...and of course he can help me with those as well. Hmmmm...
And here l go...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
They are out in pasture along with his buffalo , He has a second hand store in town and 3 different yards outside of town.

TheQuaker

They are out in pasture along with his buffalo , He has a second hand store in town and 3 different yards outside of town.
Nice. OK. That would explain the need for some time to let the snow melt and some of the water to drain off. Guess I need to take my hip waders with me when I head up in a couple of weeks.

TheQuaker

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, advice and support. I'll be needing the support group soon.
Stay tuned...I should have some "BIG" news to share by the end of the week.

TheQuaker

Finally got mine!
I found a 5-ton that checked all the boxes of what I wanted and I couldn't resist.
1983 M923.
Good engine - runs and sounds good and zero smoke, fires up immediately.
Trans shifts smooth.
G177's (incl. spare) with 80%+ tread.
Hard top.
Fiberglass troop seats/sides and new LED headlights (thanks Dennis!).
Heat/defrost work good and I needed them both last night on the drive.
It is in excellent mechanical and physical shape. Runs, drives and stops excellent. Only normal surface rust from sitting for 6 years. Looks to have been serviced and then surplussed without much use in between. The oil is very clean and looks almost new.
A couple of minor electrical gremlins to sort out before taking her out of the yard but that was really about it. Ended up being both a bad flasher unit and a short in the left front turn signal assembly. Took some time to work the problem with both of those intermittently going on the fritz at the same time but we got it buttoned up eventually.
Drove ~200 miles and I had zero problems on the drive...didn't need anything from the recovery tool kit and supplies I had packed in my Ram. But I'm glad I had a good kit based on the suggestions of the members here on SS even if I didn't need any of it. Just knowing I had my Soldier B (aka Dad) following the big girl in the chase truck well stocked with tools and supplies made the whole adventure much less stressful and I could actually sit back and enjoy the drive.
Pulled into home very late Thursday evening.
Overall it's a great truck. I could not be happier with her and my decision.
I only have one good picture from the drive home...I will take and post some more after the weather finally clears up around here.
Thanks to all for your advice, suggestions and encouragement!
The real adventure now begins...

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will like the 5 ton better than you would a deuce. Congratulations. I like the 250 Cummins. Have you read about Behr paint yet? Enjoy....and let the wife drive it too.

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Florida to the green iron madness, good looking truck. Are you out of the doghouse with your wife yet for buying it? I never found my 5 ton, but I did get a M1081 LMTV to quell the desire. Post up more pictures of your new girls because we love pictures. Enjoy.

Anvilface

Welcome from Southeastern NC.

I'm new to the site as well. I've been working on, driving, and generally liking MVs off and on for the last 27 years. I spent several years in CORPS as a 3521, and now as I work as a first responder my command staff realized what kind of secret skills I have and they are putting those skills back in service, LOL.

We have 2 M923s
1 RG31 MRAP
2 MEP-003a generators...

Now, I just need to find me a 923 or 925 for personal use...

TheQuaker

I think you will like the 5 ton better than you would a deuce. Congratulations. I like the 250 Cummins. Have you read about Behr paint yet? Enjoy....and let the wife drive it too.
Thanks toby.
Yes, I looked at and drove several Deuces as well during my searching. While I know I would have enjoyed a Deuce and the manual trans (I really miss having those in my DD pickups - can't get 'em anymore) the ride and manual steering effort, especially when not on paved roads was just too much. My truck will spend time doing some real farm work in addition to being my hobby "baby" so the auto trans, power steering and better ride will be much appreciated. When I was much younger a hobby Deuce would have been perfect for me but now at 50 it's a whole different game...and I love the huge noise reduction in the cab compared to a Deuce as well.
Yes. I've seen a lot here on the site about the Behr paint. It sounds like a perfect option for my shade tree painting efforts as well. I already have some visions of how I eventually want her to look, but that may change before I get the chance to paint her.
But for the moment I have 6+ years of PM's to catch up on and a lot of systems to check out thoroughly and updates to make and things to fix.
But as she sits today she is a clean, good condition, strong running and good driving truck with no large glaring problems at the moment.
Ha ha you're funny..."let the wife drive it too". While I have no worries she could handle it (she handles my 1/2 ton like a pro) and she might even actually enjoy it, she has zero interest in driving the 923. Now if I had brought home a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or something similar then that would be a different story...

TheQuaker

Welcome from Florida to the green iron madness, good looking truck. Are you out of the doghouse with your wife yet for buying it? I never found my 5 ton, but I did get a M1081 LMTV to quell the desire. Post up more pictures of your new girls because we love pictures. Enjoy.
Thanks AKM.
Yes, she is a nice looking truck as she sits lready.
To be honest my wife didn't really care what I eventually brought home. She told me to do whatever I wanted as it is is my hobby and my dime, but I think she was expecting an OD green pickup or something more Deuce-sized. Definitely not the 22,000 pound beauty I rolled home in.
I was truly surprised at how nicely preserved it really is when I first saw her. No significant body damage and just normal age and surface rust issues to address cosmetically.
I had wanted a 5 ton all along but assumed I would get a Deuce because I was only finding A1 and A2 923's. I looked for an original 0 series specifically as I prefer the look of the trucks with the traditional 10 tire setup. Just a personal preference for me.
I only have the one good picture from the drive home (the process was a little rushed in the end and l ran out of daylight) but I will take and post more as soon as it stops raining...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks toby.
Yes, I looked at and drove several Deuces as well during my searching. While I know I would have enjoyed a Deuce and the manual trans (I really miss having those in my DD pickups - can't get 'em anymore) the ride and manual steering effort, especially when not on paved roads was just too much. My truck will spend time doing some real farm work in addition to being my hobby "baby" so the auto trans, power steering and better ride will be much appreciated. When I was much younger a hobby Deuce would have been perfect for me but now at 50 it's a whole different game...and I love the huge noise reduction in the cab compared to a Deuce as well.
Yes. I've seen a lot here on the site about the Behr paint. It sounds like a perfect option for my shade tree painting efforts as well. I already have some visions of how I eventually want her to look, but that may change before I get the chance to paint her.
But for the moment I have 6+ years of PM's to catch up on and a lot of systems to check out thoroughly and updates to make and things to fix.
But as she sits today she is a clean, good condition, strong running and good driving truck with no large glaring problems at the moment.
Ha ha you're funny..."let the wife drive it too". While I have no worries she could handle it (she handles my 1/2 ton like a pro) and she might even actually enjoy it, she has zero interest in driving the 923. Now if I had brought home a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or something similar then that would be a different story...

Another option on paint is General Jim's in Clare Mi. they stock Gillipsee Mil-Spec paint for about the same price as Behr.

TheQuaker

Welcome from Southeastern NC.

I'm new to the site as well. I've been working on, driving, and generally liking MVs off and on for the last 27 years. I spent several years in CORPS as a 3521, and now as I work as a first responder my command staff realized what kind of secret skills I have and they are putting those skills back in service, LOL.

We have 2 M923s
1 RG31 MRAP
2 MEP-003a generators...

Now, I just need to find me a 923 or 925 for personal use...
Thanks Anvil. Welcome to you as well.
In my area I found a couple A1's and quite a few A2's. I even came across a couple 925's (but be prepared to ante up for the 925's however).
If you want to expand your search area up this way (MI/IN/OH area) send me a note and I can point you to a few trucks I came across over the last few weeks.
Good luck with your search.

71DeuceAK

Welcome! She's an awful good looking truck, I'm looking at one just like her near me, just need to come up with the cash. I'd frankly just make her my daily driver.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks