• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PHI Symbol Spray Paint Marking

JKDAY

Does anyone know the meaning of the "PHI" symbol painted on the driver's side of some HMMWV's? Is this added when the vehicles are removed from service?

IMG_8219.jpg

JKDAY

Is it phi, or is it zero? In electronics and computer programming we usually add the slash to make it clear that it's a zero and not an "o".

Mike
It could be a zero. I've seen variations with the slash right to left, left to right, and vertical. Most of the time the slash starts at the upper right quadrant and extends to the lower left quadrant. I was thinking that maybe the symbol is an easy way to visually verify that the vehicle is to be surplussed? My vehicle has the circle with slash spray painted on the side, and an "X" spray painted on the driver's side of the hood.

warcow105

Hmm, well until someone who knows for sure replies I'm going to say it probably means that it had been checked and verified to have 0 items left in the demil process... But I'm just guessing here lol

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks