• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 starter headache

badtruck

Hey guys, didn’t think this was gonna come down to asking here, but it has.

12v starter.

Drove the CUCV through some water halfway up 37” tires. Kept driving it that day, got home, parked it. Next morning, no start.

It would crank the starter and basically sound like it was grinding the teeth. I eventually came to the idea of replacing the starter thinking it wasn’t plundging properly or something.

New starter installed, go to connect batteries. Both positives on, go to connect first negative, and it begins to try to start the truck. This becomes problem number two.

Find out my positive wire might be connected to the R terminal that would be causing this. So I switched it to the other positive terminal. Go to connect batteries, again first negative attempts to start the truck, though this time the original teeth grinding sound is now a starter bench test type of sound.

So I have two issues here:

Why can’t I connect the batteries?
Why doesn’t the truck start?

Currently investigating the starter relay, which maybe I should have done first.

Thank you.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, didn’t think this was gonna come down to asking here, but it has.

12v starter.

Drove the CUCV through some water halfway up 37” tires. Kept driving it that day, got home, parked it. Next morning, no start.

It would crank the starter and basically sound like it was grinding the teeth. I eventually came to the idea of replacing the starter thinking it wasn’t plundging properly or something.

New starter installed, go to connect batteries. Both positives on, go to connect first negative, and it begins to try to start the truck. This becomes problem number two.

Find out my positive wire might be connected to the R terminal that would be causing this. So I switched it to the other positive terminal. Go to connect batteries, again first negative attempts to start the truck, though this time the original teeth grinding sound is now a starter bench test type of sound.

So I have two issues here:

Why can’t I connect the batteries?
Why doesn’t the truck start?

Currently investigating the starter relay, which maybe I should have done first.

Thank you.

On a stock CUCV the starter is 24v has your been converted to 12V ? Probably be a good idea to post some pictures of your battery wiring.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what I’m saying is I don’t -yet- believe this has to do with the 12v conversion itself.
12v starter should have a large lug for the battery cable and small lugs one for engagfing the solenoid anf the other for accessory feed . It sounds like you have a bad relay that is sticking .

badtruck

12v starter should have a large lug for the battery cable and small lugs one for engagfing the solenoid anf the other for accessory feed . It sounds like you have a bad relay that is sticking .
That’s what I’m thinking now.

And for the starter, does the positive cable go on the larger lug or the other one that has the diode attached to it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks