• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m-817 First start a no go.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember that truck, you got a great deal! I drove it ~250 miles from Ft McCoy to Spread Eagle last summer across the back roads of WI, and really enjoyed driving it. If I didn't have to ship it 1200 miles to LA, (and if I wasn't broke at the time) I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

The truck engine and dump started quickly and work well, and the batteries were real strong last summer (I took them out of my M931A2 that I use constantly) - don't how they held up with no attention after a long winter. Try to charge them, and they may still be good. The black box came off my running M925, so it should be fine. The brakes worked OK, but we had to add fluid and bleed them when we picked it up to get them to work. I'd recommend flushing the lines, put in new fluid and have someone knowledgeable go over the entire system before getting in traffic. Like any 40-50 year old surplus army truck, it will need some maintenance, but the truck has great bones. I'm envious cause I really liked that truck!

PeteNora

I remember that truck, you got a great deal! I drove it ~250 miles from Ft McCoy to Spread Eagle last summer across the back roads of WI, and really enjoyed driving it. If I didn't have to ship it 1200 miles to LA, (and if I wasn't broke at the time) I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

The truck engine and dump started quickly and work well, and the batteries were real strong last summer (I took them out of my M931A2 that I use constantly) - don't how they held up with no attention after a long winter. Try to charge them, and they may still be good. The black box came off my running M925, so it should be fine. The brakes worked OK, but we had to add fluid and bleed them when we picked it up to get them to work. I'd recommend flushing the lines, put in new fluid and have someone knowledgeable go over the entire system before getting in traffic. Like any 40-50 year old surplus army truck, it will need some maintenance, but the truck has great bones. I'm envious cause I really liked that truck!
I am not familiar with these trucks and it is nice to hear what people know about them. When I bought it there were no batteries. I just got it to run. What is the black box? Did it blow off a lot of air when the brakes were applied? I was alone so I could not crawl underneath and apply the brakes at the same time to find where the air is escaping. Plus there still is snow and now mud around it. Its about 65 miles from me so it is hard to go there and get anything done. I just want to get it to my camp. It only has to stop maybe 6 or 7 times on the trip and we will be mostly on back roads. Thanks.

tobyS

I had one like it...they are great trucks. I'd buy another in a heartbeat (if I had the money)

I hope you have a building to put it in and an electric block heater installed.
If your into making them look nice too, look at the threads about Behr house paint.

Here is what I did for a stick guard which I strongly suggest you do to cover that radiator. It's not something you will want to have to buy (usually).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks