• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Connector Battery Charger

wbread99

So I built a small battery charger that I connected to the slave connector of my M923, It cost me less than $100, and most of that was the big ass slave connector. It trickles 5 amps to the battery bank. Nothing major but it seems to keep the truck up. We in Montana went a solid month below zero this Feb.

Last edited:

tobyS

It's rather easy to just put the wire on and make a small hole (1/2") for the plug that comes with the charger. I have one like it but no slave connector.

74M35A2

Strap the charger to the back of the slave, so it is all just a one piece deal that you run an extension cord to and not have a separate box hanging by the wires. Will make it much more convenient for you. We'll see if TMG takes this and starts selling them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ive had a few inquiries about my plugs, I use(sell) the receptacle for the vehicles to put on the charger so you can use the slave cable to connect them. I don't have any slave CABLE plugs.

wbread99

I need one that is solar powered.
Let me do some playing around. Ive got a few solar panels laying around. What I'm not sure of is how they would behave being wired in series to get the voltage over 24V. What size panels would you use? Two 10 watt panels wired in series would give you just less than an amp in a 24V system. Two 50s would give you 4 amps. But only in strong sunlight.

90Jimmy

Outstanding Sir!!!! I have seen that connector for sale by another vendor for more than double that price...searched for it and never found an alternative source. The link you provided makes modifying my current maintainers/chargers with the slave plug monetarily feasible. Got a spare solargizer I’m gonna retrofit with this plug too. Thanks again

jwboing

I have $7 Harbor Freight Solar chargers on most of my bats around here, they work real well on the 12v's.
This 24v world is new to me (a week) and was wondering what I could do. I don't guess I can just use two of these 12v chargers?!
Will be watching! Lot's to learn, I don't even know what this slave cylinder is,, yet,,, Thanks for the thread.

Choppers

I use solar to power my home entirely. I use the wattage panels listed to power different things. Trying to figure out a way to put a solar battery tender on my m1078 and m923a1.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

If you are looking for a solar panel kit which the military uses on equipment.

You can find the smaller Solargizer IS24L online out there.

Solargizer IS24L.jpg

PulseTech 24VPSC 735X640.jpg

/OR The larger PulseTech 24VPSC 735x640. (NSN 6130-1-487-0035) The solar panel is listed as 6.3 watts and is 9" x 11"

OH, the best way to use a solar panel = charge your batteries to there fullest using a charger, then use the solar charger to maintain and desulfate. Yes, the unit itself is a charger. But, to care for your batteries, have them in there best shape, and they will be maintained better.
:)

Last edited:

aziator

I have the solargizer, mounted the panel on the shelf in front of the passenger side windshield. Keeps everything topped up perfectly. I’m gone for 2-3 months at a time and the 5 ton always cranks right up for me when I get home.

tobyS

My fear is having one plugged in and trying to drive away... with it attached, at least with big cables. One of the nicer 5 ton trucks I had had someone take off wile the slave cable was attached. Not good.

Wondering what to do . Maybe I'll put a plug at the front and rear to feed line power that would pull away, "unplugging" it. With stress relief and a straight pull, a 120v or 240v could dis-connect.

Thinking about having AC is making me consider having an on-board buzz box welder and distribution for grinders and such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks