• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bonehead mistake

n8roro

Anyone see a reason why this would not work?
15534620817817559746273049022292.jpg

It's a stainless steel bolt with a brass sleeve. No one local has the part and I would like to get it buttoned up today if possible.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will probably work fine.

Mackattack

From the picture it appears that the broken bolt is recessed a bit so I don't think a chisel and hammer will work. I have used that method many times in the past with sucess if it is flush with the surface. I have had some sucess using a small sharp chisel to make a slot in the broken bolt and use a flat tip screwdriver to remove the bolt but not sure if you have enough room for that method. Removing the valve body may be your best option along with trying the easyout. Once I broke off an easyout in a broken bolt and had to weld a nut on it then used a boxed end wrench to remove the mess I created. If the bolt is tight against a flat bottom hole then it may still have a lot of torque holding it in place if that is not the case you might get lucky tapping a small flat tip screw driver in the hole that you have started and see if you can twist it out by hand. I would not go taping very hard on a valve body in any case. Good luck and I hope you get it out without spending too much money!

TheMod

For bolts broken by overtightening I've had good luck with useing a sharp center punch and a hammer, place punch near threads and tap at an angle in a counter clock wise direction. I've also had good luck useing a LEFT hand drill bit, it will usaully grab the bolt and unscrew it.
Can confirm center punch method. Much faster and easier than other methods if done correctly. We bent one a 1/4 from the end of the punch and the curve leverages the threads to force the tip to turn the broken bolt. Just be sure you are hammering in the proper direction.

EDIT: On phone and missed this being solved but still recommend trying to bend and sharpen a chisel or punch. Have had success with with bolts buried in threads.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks