• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bonehead mistake

n8roro

Hey guys. I was having a nice morning working on the truck replacing the transmission filter which seemed simple enough. All was going well until I misread the TM torque for the bolt that holds the filter as ft/lbs instead of in/lbs and sheared off the bolt. I tried a reverse twist bit to get it out, but had no luck. I did not drill all the way through the bolt or with a big enough bit to hit the threads because I did not want to totally screw myself. I feeling pissed off and like a total idiot, I decided to stop and see if any of you had any advice for me before make things worse. Any advice is appreciated.

nyoffroad

For bolts broken by overtightening I've had good luck with useing a sharp center punch and a hammer, place punch near threads and tap at an angle in a counter clock wise direction. I've also had good luck useing a LEFT hand drill bit, it will usaully grab the bolt and unscrew it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. I was having a nice morning working on the truck replacing the transmission filter which seemed simple enough. All was going well until I misread the TM torque for the bolt that holds the filter as ft/lbs instead of in/lbs and sheared off the bolt. I tried a reverse twist bit to get it out, but had no luck. I did not drill all the way through the bolt or with a big enough bit to hit the threads because I did not want to totally screw myself. I feeling pissed off and like a total idiot, I decided to stop and see if any of you had any advice for me before make things worse. Any advice is appreciated.
For bolts broken by overtightening I've had good luck with useing a sharp center punch and a hammer, place punch near threads and tap at an angle in a counter clock wise direction. I've also had good luck useing a LEFT hand drill bit, it will usaully grab the bolt and unscrew it.
He tried that.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Grind up a 4 square machinist tool bit with one cuttin edge
Does Not have be big

................even 1/4" will do.
Drill hole in middle of the bolt IN THE MIDDLE OF IT, and slam in your new "toolbit"
and the square drive will give good wrench hold.
Use a square drive socket on ratchet , torque unlimited.
Screw extractors are for little kids screws. You need the torque.

Chaski

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 12.51.27 PM.png

This is a horrible picture of a commercially available extractor tool. Try to copy this, taper it like the tool. Also, don't get too greedy when grinding it, you want to cool it often and not destroy the original heat treating.

I would make the tip whatever size the drill was that you used divided by 1.414 (sqrt of 2), and taper up from there. Drive it in and give it a twist...

EDIT- 1 minute too late! Glad you got it out!

n8roro

I got it out with the home made version!

I have a couple more questions:

Is the bolt supposed to be long enough so that the filter is loose?

Any one know the part # of that bolt?

I'm going to try to match it at the hardware store now and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks