• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold starting help M-817

PeteNora

I was going over the wiring diagrams and have a question. Circuit 569 looks to be direct battery to the cold start switch. As I read it that circuit is 12 volts not 24 am I correct? If I am correct the way I installed the batteries I did not include that wire. So that should mean that my cold start assistance would be inop. It says it goes to a glow plug singular. Am I correct that this is a fuel heater not an actual glow plug in the combustion chamber? Just trying to get my ducks in a row for my trip up there next weekend.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going over the wiring diagrams and have a question. Circuit 569 looks to be direct battery to the cold start switch. As I read it that circuit is 12 volts not 24 am I correct? If I am correct the way I installed the batteries I did not include that wire. So that should mean that my cold start assistance would be inop. It says it goes to a glow plug singular. Am I correct that this is a fuel heater not an actual glow plug in the combustion chamber? Just trying to get my ducks in a row for my trip up there next weekend.
Yeah , no glow plugs in the cylinders . It is warm enough the cold start shouldn't be needed . a very light shot of ether will probably do the trick .
It may be a good Idea to have soldier B with you and take the air intake off so you can cover it with a board , for if it starts to runaway on start-up.

fasttruck

It is a 12 volt circuit and the "glow plug" is on the intake manifold. Used in con junction with the hand fuel pump by the steering column it burns fuel in the manifold to heat the top of the engine. If you can get it spinning and everything works the truck will start in 10 degree weather There should be a data plate on the dashboard that explains how it works or check the -10 manual. This is the only circuit on the truck that does not go through the battery switch so if you do not turn it off it will kill the battery.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah , no glow plugs in the cylinders . It is warm enough the cold start shouldn't be needed . a very light shot of ether will probably do the trick .
It may be a good Idea to have soldier B with you and take the air intake off so you can cover it with a board , for if it starts to runaway on start-up.
Good thought but we have the emergency shut of if a PT ever ran away. In most cases the Deuce is the is the one that has the fuel control that sticks at WOT in less he has a multi fuel in has 5 ton. Do believe he has the Cummins 250 because of the thread where the OP asked about the emergency shutoff and being reset.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thought but we have the emergency shut of if a PT ever ran away. In most cases the Deuce is the is the one that has the fuel control that sticks at WOT in less he has a multi fuel in has 5 ton. Do believe he has the Cummins 250.
It's kind of a habit on all old diesels for me , work mostly with Detroits and they can take off when the rack sticks.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kind of a habit on all old diesels for me , work mostly with Detroits and they can take off when the rack sticks.
Must be cold up there and your inside. I should be outside as it is pretty nice down here and off the dang computer. Yep DD's bad for that for sure.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be cold up there and your inside. I should be outside as it is pretty nice down here and off the dang computer. Yep DD's bad for that for sure.
Low 50's with plenty of mud , I would rather work on stuff outside when it's froze than in the mud.

fasttruck

One cautionary point: Ether can be used to assist a cold weather start or you can use the built in manifold heater. HOWEVER do not use both AT THE SAME TIME! THE ETHER WILL IGNITE IN THE INTAKE AND DAMAGE THE MANIFOLD. The Army has a number of trucks that come with ether kits from the factory ( M915, 916, 917, 920, 923) or were converted to ether (M35). In the case of a M35 the original manifold heater was removed.

fasttruck

Reference 809 series batteries: There is a diagram or picture on the underside of the battery cover that illustrates how they hook up and where the wire for the manifold heater goes.

snowtrac nome

I made that mistake once, I thought the flame heater wasn't working in my old ford diesel, gave it a squirt of starting fluid and before I got back in to crank , it blew my air cleaner up I also must admit I almost had to change my pants to

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks