• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helmet top install question

Lazboytt

Does anyone know what is needed to do a helmet top install? I’m thinking of switching from a soft top to a helmet top.

Wondering any seals or mounts needed or modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desmodromic

There are specific mounts for the windshield and rear fenders that are crazy expensive from the manufacturer. Make sure you buy a top with mounts or fab your own. There are factory seals, but any standard seal will work. The fit is far from perfect, so a tube or two of silicone will be required.

cwajciec

My helmet top was installed with lots of sealant on the windshield. See pic. Other than that, there are angle brackets on the rear corners that could be fabricated. Otherwise just bolt it on. I remove mine in the summer and add troop seats.

6DAAB975-40A0-4662-BA26-BCA501CBC536.jpg6DAAB975-40A0-4662-BA26-BCA501CBC536.jpg

Lazboytt

Do you like the top? What’s a good price for one that’s in good condition maybe a few chips but no cracks or hardware? I have a chance to purchase one locally for 1,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwajciec

I like the helmet top, especially the tool boxes for camping. It is more waterproof than the soft top. One strange thing is the rear doors don’t fit the openings well at all. The top rear corner of my soft doors are a different shape than the openings. No idea about price since I got the helmet top with my hmmwv.

Humveeholic

$1500 is a fair price. Most below $1000 are beat up, cracked or missing the storage boxes. The only area where I get leaks is the rear cargo door but I think a lot of that has to do with the seal between the top and hinge is 20 yrs old!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$1500 is a fair price. Most below $1000 are beat up, cracked or missing the storage boxes. The only area where I get leaks is the rear cargo door but I think a lot of that has to do with the seal between the top and hinge is 20 yrs old!
Try spraying the seal with Silicon spray, and try adjusting hinge screws

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks