• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 Not rolling after sitting???

Thumper14

So, mine jeep sat for 10 years without moving and seems to be having some kind of transmission issue. With it in 2wd or 4wd, it wont roll as if it were left in gear (rolls an inch in either direction and stops). I removed the rear driveshaft to load it up and it rolls fine in 2wd. Engage 4wd and it does the same thing. I obviously make sure its not in gear and bounced it in gear and out of gear just to see if I could free a frozen part, but nothing.

Anyone have this problem before and able to help figure out whats going on?

Thumper14

I'll have to see how much is in it. I'm planning on swapping all fluids this week, but its never had a serious leak (bottom is wet) and it was full when it was parked.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to see how much is in it. I'm planning on swapping all fluids this week, but its never had a serious leak (bottom is wet) and it was full when it was parked.
Even if it was full it is likely all the lube drained off the bearings after 10 years , so it could likely be seized bearings .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try that! So frustrating that rust can still effect a sealed system like that. My father in law had it sitting on rollers instead of rolling the actual jeep so the transmission never budged for all that time. :evil:
It not really a sealed system the transmission is vented through the air intake most likely ( not real familiar with the venting on m151's) . But It vents some where or it would blow seals . So in a humid climate moisture can get in through the vent.

papakb

Elkhtr hit the nail on the head. The parking brake on the 151 is an external band that wraps around a drum mounted on the backside of the transmission. They have a tendency to freeze together when the vehicles sit for long period. Remove the transmission cover and see if it isn't your problem.

151 Ebrake.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Thumper14

I could have swore that parking brake liner was moving just fine...but yesterday I backed it waaaaaaaay out and WD40'd the heck out of it so I could rule it out and sure enough, that was the issue! lol

I think once you know how a system works, you over think what the possible issue is. The solution is normally the simple one... Thanks for the help all. She rolls smooth.

EDIT: Originally, I could see a gap over about 2/3rd's of the length of the band and figured that wouldn't be enough to stop it... I was wrong :mrgreen:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks