• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Pedal Travel

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

What should the brake pedal travel be on a m35a2 with new brake pads. The brake pedal travel about 3" to (Max Brakes Lock Up All 6).When pressed all the way down the pedal is even high to the accelerator pedal. If I measure from the floor to the top of the pedal when not pressed I get (+/- 8-1/8") And when the pedal is pressed all the way I get (+/- 4-7/8"). (8-1/8" - 4-7/8" = 3-1/4"). The Free Play is adjusted right and I think the rear pads are all adjusted right too.

Brake Pedal.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So your pedal is firm and has about 3 1/4 in of travel, stopping well above the floor? I'd say that is good and in line with tightly adjusted brakes. Is your complaint that the pedal sits high off the floor to start with?
Have you oiled your air pack lately? A bit of air tool oil through the hex plug or into the J-pipe? Helps with the pedal sitting right and the overall pedal travel.
You said that free play was checked? Like so:

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2
13-19.
SERVICE BRAKE PEDAL ADJUSTMENT.
TOOLS: 6-inch ruler, 7/8-inch wrench, Pliers, l-inch wrench
SUPPLIES:Marking chalk, SS-C-266FRagSolvent, dry cleaning, type II (SD-2), Fed. Spec P-D-680
PERSONNEL: One
EQUIPMENT CONDITION:Truck parked, engine off, handbrake set.

FRAME 1
1.2.3.4.Using chalk, mark brake pedal (1) at floorboard (2). Using hand, push brake pedal pad (3) down easily until free play is used up. Using chalk, mark brake pedal (1) at floorboard (2). Take hand away from brake pedal pad.Using 6-inch ruler, measure between chalk marks. If measure is less than 1/4-inch, or more than 1/2-inch, free play is bad.
WARNING
Dry cleaning solvent is flammable. Do not use near an open flame. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby when solvent is used. Use only in well-ventilated places.Failure to do this may result in injury to personnel anddamage to equipment.Using rag and dry cleaning solvent, clean chalk marks off brake pedal (1).IF FREE PLAY IS BAD, GO TO FRAME 2.
IF FREE PLAY IS GOOD, END OF TASK

Last edited:

WhoMe08721

Pedal is firm in my truck and stops good for a big truck. It has about 3-1/4" of travel. Oiled the air pack last week. Was just wondering how far of travel the brake pedal should have, Only have driven two M35A2 in my life time and the other truck had bad brakes. Been driving my M998 a lot lately and the pedal only travel about a 1/2" to 3/4". I know there not the same, it's like comparing apples to bananas.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Them TMs have lots of good info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks