• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint scheme for my M1028a2

319cssb

My cucv was painted by thr PO in flat black or gray. Before that she was owned by a fire dept. before that she was painted in CARC 'desert tan' or 'Sand' but also something else, like a brownish sand. I want to recreate that look , if possible. Do you guys have any thoughts what the pattern may have been?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like sorta a dark yellow done by the fire dept. I would look at the color chips on the RAPCO website for some of the older desert camo colors.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The colors look like these trucks and that tank
The camo on these vehicles is known as MERDC, it was first used in the 1970s. From info in TC 5-200 I believe the color scheme is "gray desert" and the 4 colors are sand, field drab, earth yellow, and black. By the time your m1028a2 was in use the 4 color camo was replaced with 3 color camo, although it could have been repainted by someone.
If I can find my color chip book I'll see if it has the numbers for the colors, the camo pattern book I'm looking at just lists NSNs for gallons and 5 gallon buckets.
EDIT: According to my Aervoe paint chart from 1993 the numbers are:
Sand 32077
Field Drab 30118
Earth Yellow 30257
Black 37038

However, according to the federal standard paint chip book (change 7 1984) camo colors are
Sand 33303
Field Drab 33105
Earth Yellow not listed
Black 37030

Last edited:

319cssb

Thats great info, is there a paint by numbers picture? It doesnt look like the desert version of woodland.

I remember seeing a TM for paint schemes , but i dont know where I saw it

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thats great info, is there a paint by numbers picture? It doesnt look like the desert version of woodland.

I remember seeing a TM for paint schemes , but i dont know where I saw it
There probably won't be one of a CUCV but there will be one of the Dodge m880 pickup. It might be listed in the TM section here on the site. You'll have to find the book for MERDC 4 color camo, not the newer 3 color camo book.

319cssb

I did a bunch of searching and found this. It looks pretty close to what I am looking to achieve, I think
m880_grey_desert_merdc_2_of_2_144.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks