• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20k Garwood Winch

JackB

Hello,

I'm pretty green in terms of the 5-ton trucks, but after some limited research, I've concluded some of them came equipped with a 20k Garwood winch. Was supposed to be driven off of the PTO if I'm not mistaken, I plan to buy one, and power it with a low-speed high torque hydraulic pump. To properly size my pump, I need to know two things:

1) What's the diameter of the spool when empty / no cable on it.
2) What's the gear ratio of the winch?

If you guys know off the cuff or could steer me to this information that would be great.

Alternatively, is anybody aware of what the input torque is supposed to be? That would work just fine as well!

Jackson Barry

fasttruck

Level winders were found on the front and rear winch of a wrecker. Cargo trucks, dumpers, and tractors with a front winch did not have level winders. 10 tons also have level winders.

74M35A2

If it is a hydraulic winch, the stock truck hydraulic pump is approximately 2500GPM at the recommended max engine speed of 1800rpm when PTO is in use. This hydraulic system is dedicated to the winch alone. Not sure if that helps you or not.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it is a hydraulic winch, the stock truck hydraulic pump is approximately 2500GPM at the recommended max engine speed of 1800rpm when PTO is in use. This hydraulic system is dedicated to the winch alone. Not sure if that helps you or not.
He might not know the 939 series trucks used hyd motors on them, but he does now.

Its the same basic winch, they just adapted a hydro motor to it.

JackB

Is this a typo? 2500 GPM @ 3k psi is >4300 HP.

JackB

Thanks @ gimpyrobb. Is there an easy way to ID the winch off of the 939 series, just look for the hydraulic motor I suppose?
I definitely want the level wind feature.

JackB

@ porkysplace, absolutely! That's why I can't use the same pump, I just need to determine what input torque I need. All I need is 1) the spool / bare drum diameter and 2) gear ratio.

JackB

Yes for sure porkysplace! That's why I'm likely going to be using a completely different pump. All I need to know is 1) the empty spool diameter, & 2) the reduction ratio with in the winch. These two pieces of information combined with the fact that my MAX pull is 20K will be how I back figure how much input torque I need.

74M35A2

The relief valve is set at 1800psi or so to produce the 20,000lb winch limit, instead of shear pins. Do you need more than 20,000lbs? If not, feed the stock winch motor 1800 and you’re there. That 20,000lb rating is not in a full spool of cable though. Like 3rd layer or something.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes for sure porkysplace! That's why I'm likely going to be using a completely different pump. All I need to know is 1) the empty spool diameter, & 2) the reduction ratio with in the winch. These two pieces of information combined with the fact that my MAX pull is 20K will be how I back figure how much input torque I need.
The coupler will be a weal point .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks