• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Glow plug module: wait light is on, but glow plug relay doesn't energyze

McLovin

Hey guys,

I have the following situation with the glow plug system:

In my garage it is around plus 10 celsius degree.

1) switch on the ignition
2) PNK/BLK-39B delivers 12V on the glow plug relay, wait light is on, but LT BLU-505 doesn't deliver ground to the glow plug relay. This leads into a not energyzed glow plug relay
3) after some time (15 sec?) the wait light goes out, PNK/BLK-39B still delivers 12V to the glow plug relay, after some seconds wait light begins again to light and LT BLU-505 still doesnt provide ground :(

If i ground manually the port (where LT BLU-505 is connected) of the glow pug relay, it energyzes (click) and delivers 12V on the glow plug relay to the port, where ORN-509B, ORN-503B and ORN-503A are connected.

Checked the contuinity of the LT BLU-505 from the glow plug module to the glow plug relay, while LT BLU-505 is disconnected from the relay and its ok.

E7.jpg

It looks like, the cards logic works, but not the output.

So my question is, is it possible to find out, has the glow plug card a failure or not?
Is it possible to 'debug' or measure each connection of the glow plug card?

Thank you

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you lost the transistor that provides the ground command to the GP relay.

Disconnect the light Blue wire from the GP relay. When the card is functioning properly, this wire will pull to ground. Check to see if that is occurring during the Wait light period with an ohm meter.

McLovin

Thank you guys for your help.

@319cssb, i need to investigate, what the costs would be, to sent it from here to you.

@antennaclimber, you mean following procedure, please correct me, if i'm wrong:

1) Disconnect the light Blue wire from the GP relay
2) Connect the ohmmeter to the ground and to the disconnected light Blue wire from the GP relay
3) Turn the ignition on

Ohmmeter should show the contuinity as long the WAIT LIGHT is on, correct?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you guys for your help.

@319cssb, i need to investigate, what the costs would be, to sent it from here to you.

@antennaclimber, you mean following procedure, please correct me, if i'm wrong:

1) Disconnect the light Blue wire from the GP relay
2) Connect the ohmmeter to the ground and to the disconnected light Blue wire from the GP relay
3) Turn the ignition on

Ohmmeter should show the contuinity as long the WAIT LIGHT is on, correct?
It will show continuity to ground for the duration of the Wait period and it may stay on for a little while longer.
The length of time it stays on is determined by several factors, mainly engine temperature.

Your procedure is correct for testing the ground command from the GP card.

New cards are available here:
http://www.hillbillywizard.com/cucv-and-k30-parts/cucv-glow-plug-card-new/

McLovin

Hi friends,

done today some measurements.

1) Connected the ohm meter to the ground and to the light blue cable, which is normally sitting on the glow plug relay.
Then switched the ignition on.
Ohmmeter showed me 0 Ohm, WAIT light went on and didn't go out anymore, till I disconnected the ohmmeter.
I think this is the same situation, when people install a manual switch, which provides ground to the glow plug relay to the port, where the light blue cable is, WAIT light is lightning, as long they are pushing the button, correct?
If so, then it cant be tested this way :(

2) Put the card out.
3) Continuity checks:
a) light blue 505 from the glow plug relay port to the card port -> OK
b) orange 503A from the glow plug relay port to the card port -> OK
c) dark blue 507 from the card port to the WAIT lamp (lamp took out) -> OK
d) BLK-980 from the card to the TEMP SNSR (TEMP SNSR connector disconnected) -> OK
e) YEL-151B from the card to the TEMP SNSR (TEMP SNSR connector disconnected) -> OK
4) Voltage checks (card is still out):
a) PPL/WHT-930A provides during fireing the engine, 12V to the card port -> OK
b) PNK/BLK-39B and PNK/BLK-39A provide during ignition is on, 12V to the card port -> OK
c) PNK/BLK-139E provides during ignition is on, 12V to the WAIT lamp (lamp took out) -> OK

It looks for me, that wiring is OK.

Then i have connected the connector back to the TEMP SNSR (its an old original one, with the round connector, where its not able to check the resistance direct on it, because you need first to break all hands) and checked the resistance on the card ports (card is still out). Result is, that the sensor is open.
Took out the sensor and checked the resistance direct on it -> open.
But ok, opens means, that its very very cold, so the card should provide ground to the light blue cable.

Have connected a new temp sensor, which I have ordered from Rockauto:
https://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo.php?pk=482198&cc=1050635&jsn=13

This guy showed me 4.6 Ohm @ 11 degree celsius.
I hope this is ok so.
Taking the sensor in my hands, decreases the resistance.

Anyway, put the card back, with the same result, WAIT lamp is on, but no ground on the light blue cable :(

Do I miss something, or is the card in the heaven allready?

Thank you

glow_card_front.jpgglow_card_rear.jpg

McLovin

Have connected a new temp sensor 'BECK/ARNLEY 1580536'

This guy showed me 4.6 Ohm @ 11 degree celsius.
I hope this is ok so.

Anyway, put the card back, with the same result, WAIT lamp is on, but no ground on the light blue cable

Thank you

By the way, why I'm gettin gthis message all the time?

"Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

McLovin

Hello friends,

done today some measurements.

1) Connected the ohm meter to the ground and to the light blue cable, which is normally sitting on the glow plug relay.
Then switched the ignition on.
Ohmmeter showed me 0 Ohm, WAIT light went on and didn't go out anymore, till I disconnected the ohmmeter.
I think this is the same situation, when people install a manual switch, which provides ground to the glow plug relay to the port, where the light blue cable is, WAIT light is lightning, as long they are pushing the button, correct?
If so, then it cant be tested this way

2) Put the card out.
3) Continuity checks:
a) light blue 505 from the glow plug relay port to the card port -> OK
b) orange 503A from the glow plug relay port to the card port -> OK
c) dark blue 507 from the card port to the WAIT lamp (lamp took out) -> OK
d) BLK-980 from the card to the TEMP SNSR (TEMP SNSR connector disconnected) -> OK
e) YEL-151B from the card to the TEMP SNSR (TEMP SNSR connector disconnected) -> OK
4) Voltage checks (card is still out):
a) PPL/WHT-930A provides during fireing the engine, 12V to the card port -> OK
b) PNK/BLK-39B and PNK/BLK-39A provide during ignition is on, 12V to the card port -> OK
c) PNK/BLK-139E provides during ignition is on, 12V to the WAIT lamp (lamp took out) -> OK

It looks for me, that wiring is OK.

Then i have connected the connector back to the TEMP SNSR (its an old original one, with the round connector, where its not able to check the resistance direct on it, because you need first to break all hands) and checked the resistance on the card ports (card is still out). Result is, that the sensor is open.
Took out the sensor and checked the resistance direct on it -> open.
But ok, opens means, that its very very cold, so the card should provide ground to the light blue cable.

Last edited:

McLovin

Anyway, have connected a new temp sensor.
It showed me 4.6 Ohm @ 11 degree celsius.
I hope this is ok so.

Put the card back, with the same result, WAIT lamp is on, but no ground on the light blue cable

Thank you

glow_card_front.jpgglow_card_rear.jpg

319cssb

Doesn't hurt to clean the card with some 99% isopropyl alcohol. Then clean the pins with a fiberglass pencil. How do the contacts look on the transistors?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, why i'm getting all the time this message?

View attachment 759357
Send a PM to Patracy, and ask him to look at that.

Your posts are being posted without "moderation". (unless someone else has been approving them). I may have approved one in the past but I do not recall for sure if I did.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new cards are available thru Hill Billy Wizard.

The transistor in question is the part that is riveted to the board. Looks like that board was made around Nov 1985

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will check that today later.
But in general, transistors are these 3 guys in the red rectangles, correct?

Oh, or is it the flat one, with 3 pins?
It is the black 3 terminal component that is affixed to the board with the rivet.
It's next to the index slot on the card edge connector.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks