• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NSN: 4120-01-327-5447 power plug help

Max Bladwin

Hello,
I saw one of the AC/heaters on Colmans. It caught my eye and I am interested in getting one. However it does not come with a power cord. All the searches I have done do not turn up any solid results. I know the plug at the AC unit is a little different but at the other end does it plug into a standard 110v outlet? Is there a place I can buy one or does someone have a place they can point me to get the parts and how to wire the plug up correctly?
Thanks..

Max Bladwin

Called Colemans yesterday and today. They are going to do some research into a plug. Seems strange to sell the unit but not the power cord.
My own Google search has turned up nothing. Hoping a solution will turn up.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the manual for that unit is TM 9-4120-403-14. You might try finding a copy of that and see what it tells you.

Surplus stuff like a/c units are often sold at auction without things like power chords (in fact, getting the chords would be a pleasant surprise!), Colemans likely didn't get any when they bought their lot(s).

If they can give you the code off the plug on the unit, or you can figure it out from the manual, you can probably find a matching bendix connector and make a chord.

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
Do you have the two TM's for the air con? If so, say something.

Edit: To late. I already uploaded them, so look in the TM upload section, or Aux Equipment.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Hello,
I saw one of the AC/heaters on Colmans. It caught my eye and I am interested in getting one. However it does not come with a power cord. All the searches I have done do not turn up any solid results. I know the plug at the AC unit is a little different but at the other end does it plug into a standard 110v outlet? Is there a place I can buy one or does someone have a place they can point me to get the parts and how to wire the plug up correctly?
Thanks..
No, the plug is normally a pig tail, that hooks up to a gen set output load terminals. It has a canon plug on the end that fits the Air Con.

Max Bladwin

Thanks for the manuals. I will read through them tonight. I'm hoping there's something in there that'll tell me what type of plug it is and how to wire it up. There is another post that I found that does list the part number for the plug but I am unsuccessful in finding a supplier. What concerns me is that according to what I read or I've heard the plug has four pins. Just makes me wonder how the AC system with 3 wires hooks up to a 4 pin plug.

Don't ask me why but my kid wants to go to Pennsylvania for spring break. We'll be traveling past colemans and I'm tempted to buy one although I won't have a plug ready by that time. Tossing around in my mind whether it's worth just buying one or just waiting until I have all the info.

Last edited:

Max Bladwin

Can you recommend a shelter AC/heater that would be better for me? Still like this model very much but I'm no electrician. I don't need to burn the unit up my 1st attempt .

Guyfang

Staff member
Can you call Coleman and ask what J number is next to the power cable jack? Also, if you think you have the part number for the plug, list it here. We can look it up and see who the supplier was for the army. Most, not all, most air con was three phase. As this one is 115 VAC, don't assume that it should have just three pins/wires. The milatary tends to use the same plug on many things. Having a plug with one pin not used is nothing new. It saves money in the end. And you have one less part to worry about in your inventory.

Max Bladwin

I went back to the original post that had some information on the plug. They say it is a Amphenol Female Military Mil Spec Circular Connector MS3108A20-4S 4 Pins 90 Deg ".
Did some looking and didn't turn up much.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a picture of the plug needed.
Civillian Aviation uses a lot of that type with completely different part numbers.

If you stop by a aviation avionics shop, they can probably match it up.
Then simply wire it as needed.

I have done this multiple times.

Guyfang

Staff member
All these NSN's appear to be compatible.
NSN: 5935-00-195-9019, 5935-00-726-6754, 5935-00-843-4561

The -4561 appears to be even a listed part to the M939 series truck. I am not a truck guy. Maybe one of you truck guys could look.

This is one of the company's that supplied them to the Army:AMPHENOL CORPORATION

THREAD CLASS2A AND 2B
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
III BODY STYLEANGLE SHAPE, W/O CABLE CLAMP
OVERALL DIAMETER1 469/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
BODY ANGLE IN DEG90
THREADED DEVICE TYPEBACK SHELL AND COUPLING FACILITY
MATING END QUANTITY1
CONTACT POSITION ARRANGEMENT STYLE24-4 SINGLE MATING END
CONTACT REMOVABILITYNONREMOVABLE SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CONTACT MAXIMUM CURRENT RATING IN AMPS41 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CONTACT MAXIMUM AC VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS900 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
CONTACT MAXIMUM DC VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS1250 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
POLARIZATION METHODKEYWAY OR MULTIPLE KEYWAY
INSERT POSITION IN DEG0
SHELL TYPESOLID
CONNECTOR LOCKING METHODEXTERNALLY THREADED COUPLING RING
CONNECTOR CABLE STRAIN RELIEF METHODCONDUIT NUT
DISTANCE FROM CENTERLINE TO CONNECTOR END3 31/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
DISTANCE FROM CENTERLINE TO CABLE END2 281/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE1 47/250 INCHES AND 1 1/4 INCHES
TERMINAL LOCATIONBACK SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
TERMINAL TYPESOLDER WELL SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
SHELL MATERIALALUMINUM ALLOY
INCLUDED CONTACT QUANTITY4 SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
INCLUDED CONTACT TYPEROUND SOCKET SINGLE MATING END SINGLE CONTACT GROUPING
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNEF AND UNEF

Edit: All these part numbers were used by various suppliers, and should be the same one as you posted.
10-109820-4S
4118740-051
MIL-C-5015
MS3108E20-4S
MS3108R20-4SC

Last edited:

Max Bladwin

Thanks for the help! There are plenty of plugs available. Now all I have to do is get out there and check out the ac units.
On another note, does anyone know how often the coolant needs to be recharged? Are military units prone to leaking? Or should I not have to worry about it?

Guyfang

Staff member
That's what the gauges are for. Get some, read up on it and get smart. Or get someone who can. Reefer repair is not rocket scince, if you get smart on it, or know someone who is.

Normally we had good air cons. They are tough, and reliable. High hour machines can leak, or need a charge. But you need to get it on the gauges first, to know. Read the TM a bit.

With it running, a bottle of Windex is a good friend. It helped me find leaks. If the gauges tells you its got a good charge, don't screw with it. You can fix something till its broken. If and when you need to change the coolant, or if the system is empty and you need to refill it, Purge first, then invest in a new filter dryer. Cheap insurance.

Max Bladwin

I am heading out there Friday. They list them as unused, but that could mean just about anything. Maybe they don't sell a plug but maybe they have something to test it. If I do make the purchase I will post a pic of the plug just to make sure. Measure twice cut once.

Max Bladwin

Got it. It was still in the crate. Smells like an old museum, lol. Here are a couple of pics of the unit and the plug. Would someone verify the plug type to the part numbers previously supplied. Getting excite to see this run.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Got it. It was still in the crate. Smells like an old museum, lol. Here are a couple of pics of the unit and the plug. Would someone verify the plug type to the part numbers previously supplied. Getting excite to see this run.
The best way to verify would be for you to open it up and look at the part number on the plug. Knowing the male plug number, simplifies finding out if the female plug is the right one. Is there a number painted on the outside on the air con? Like J1, or something similar?

Max Bladwin

On the very inside of the plug is says 4-20.
That said I pulled a ton of screws out and never got close to the receptacle. But I did find a schematic behind the front panel. It shows the following for the power receptacle.
J1, MS 3100R-20-4PX
P1, MS 3106R-20-4SX

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks