• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual 5 Ton?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M39/M809 series 5 tons had the last manual transmissions. M939 series trucks are equiped with automatics. It would be a big job to put a manual in a M923....

74M35A2

I have seen video of 2 manual trans converted M939’s. I bought all the stuff to do so, and have not done so yet. Everybody told me to slow down.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does a manual transmission exist in a 5 ton such as a 923 or a 931? Or has anybody done or heard of a manual transmission swap? Thanks.
I have a 16spd semi automatic in my 923. Basically an air operated manual transmission. It can only be installed in a cargo or lwb truck due to the size. It is also alot of work. And can only be done behind the NHC250 but it does give it alot of advantages
https://youtu.be/oxg7uP0_EwM

charlesmann

would say going from the 6 spd auto to a 10 or 12 spd manual also allow for faster mph with less rpm, or is the mph almost certainly controlled by the axle ratio? I'm not a fan of autos in anything bigger than a 1tn tck

74M35A2

would say going from the 6 spd auto to a 10 or 12 spd manual also allow for faster mph with less rpm, or is the mph almost certainly controlled by the axle ratio? I'm not a fan of autos in anything bigger than a 1tn tck

There are 5 things that contribute to top speed:
Max engine RPM
Transmission top gear ratio
Axle ratio
Transfer case ratio
Tire height (outside diameter)

This is all assuming the engine has enough power to reach max governed RPM under load.

Lukes_deuce

One of my friends just sold his bobbed 923a2 with an Eaton Fuller 8LL and rear locker. Besides being a very clean and well taken care of truck, the transmission was awesome. With G177s, he could cruise at 1700 rpm doing 70mph and get great fuel mileage. Then while off roading, he had such low gearing with the trans, that he never had to shift into low range. Truck had all the usual engine bolt ons and fuel pump modifications as well. For a stock motor truck, it ran amazing. Wish I had the money when he sold it. That was an awesome truck!

charlesmann

One of my friends just sold his bobbed 923a2 with an Eaton Fuller 8LL and rear locker. Besides being a very clean and well taken care of truck, the transmission was awesome. With G177s, he could cruise at 1700 rpm doing 70mph and get great fuel mileage. Then while off roading, he had such low gearing with the trans, that he never had to shift into low range. Truck had all the usual engine bolt ons and fuel pump modifications as well. For a stock motor truck, it ran amazing. Wish I had the money when he sold it. That was an awesome truck!
if its fits in a 923a2, would it be silly and or impractical to think it would fit in the 936a2? yes, they are NOT the same truck, but plenty of similar or exact features/parts in the drivetrain, that would lead me think something other than a dang auto would work in the a2 wrecker.

lukes, the above question isn't directed just at YOU, but anyone that might shed a bit of light.

I'm hoping to have 2 a2 wreckers at the end of the month, 1 with a bad boom lift cyl and xmsn. if iv gotta get another xmsn, why not try for something other than a oem auto to stuff back in it.

edit: i can't tell from the google search i did of that 8LL, but is it a manual? i guess that should have been my first query

charlesmann

M923A2 and M936A2 are the same running gear and the same wheelbase.

The wrecker has PTOs on tcase and transmission that may be an issue.
from reading through some other threads in the mod section, that seems to be the norm, compared to the 800 series. both models have their pros/cons. once i get back south, and get them home, ill climb under 1 and see what/where things mate up, and if i can find a 923a2 or similar in my area, ill check it out and compare measurements and locations of things. i think the local guard unit may still have some 900 series trucks.

Lukes_deuce

if its fits in a 923a2, would it be silly and or impractical to think it would fit in the 936a2? yes, they are NOT the same truck, but plenty of similar or exact features/parts in the drivetrain, that would lead me think something other than a dang auto would work in the a2 wrecker.

lukes, the above question isn't directed just at YOU, but anyone that might shed a bit of light.

I'm hoping to have 2 a2 wreckers at the end of the month, 1 with a bad boom lift cyl and xmsn. if iv gotta get another xmsn, why not try for something other than a oem auto to stuff back in it.

edit: i can't tell from the google search i did of that 8LL, but is it a manual? i guess that should have been my first query
The 8LL, is an Eaton Fuller 8 speed manual transmission is a low low reduction gear, thus the "LL" designation. There are many options from Eaton Fuller and other heavy truck transmissions. I believe my friend used the 8LL since its the shortest heavy duty manual you can get. There is limited space in the drive line due to the transfer case. I didnt take measurements off my friends truck but I know the drive shafts have to be modified to make a manual fit. He did not move the transfer case. I would also think you need to take measurements to make sure the manual trans can fit with a PTO, since you would need that for the front winch system. If you do go the route of putting a manual in a wrecker, please take a LOT of pictures. Ive never heard of that done before.

fasttruck

Reference post 6: The stock transmission is direct drive. If you go to an overdriven transmission the truck will go faster. But then again if you want to go fast you could get a KW or a Pete with double Os in it and go 100 mph loaded no problem.

74M35A2

Will only go faster if the engine has the power to pull it.

The dual shaft Road Ranger transmissions are typically shorter than the Allison MT654CR 5 speed by a few inches, yet wider.

M936 wreckers use 2 PTO's, one on the trans, a second on the transfer case, I think.....

77 AMG

Wait a second... Did you say "rear locker"?

Why, yes, yes you did. I am understanding that there is NO such thing for the 5 tons available. Can you explain further, please?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wait a second... Did you say "rear locker"?

Why, yes, yes you did. I am understanding that there is NO such thing for the 5 tons available. Can you explain further, please?
Red barn customs makes a weld unit and they have Detroit lockers for sale. Usmc had wreckers with lockers as well as their cargo trucks

77 AMG

Huh. NOT the Tractor versions, however? Interesting. A single or maybe dual locker set-up is something that I am wanting for my "Beastie Wagon". My truck is "pretending" to be a cargo version, using a Deuce bed. 74M35A2, PM inbound, if that is okay?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks