• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical gremlins

Anvilface

I swear, if it isn't one thing, its another.

I had an alternator that was only putting out 22.9 volts, tried to adjust the regulator, no joy.

Swapped regulators, no joy.

Brand new alternator, 28.2 volts...yay! But then..

Drive em around for about an hour today. While headed back to the yard, the guard goes from solid green range to flat dead. Truck ran fine, headlights strong, cut her off and tried to restart. Batteries flat dead. I'm thinking one of the battery connections vibrated loose while driving, but I didn't have the opportunity to test anything today.

Bout to drive me bananas, not sure which is worse, electrical problems or air problems.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swear, if it isn't one thing, its another.

I had an alternator that was only putting out 22.9 volts, tried to adjust the regulator, no joy.

Swapped regulators, no joy.

Brand new alternator, 28.2 volts...yay! But then..

Drive em around for about an hour today. While headed back to the yard, the guard goes from solid green range to flat dead. Truck ran fine, headlights strong, cut her off and tried to restart. Batteries flat dead. I'm thinking one of the battery connections vibrated loose while driving, but I didn't have the opportunity to test anything today.

Bout to drive me bananas, not sure which is worse, electrical problems or air problems.
Air is easy you can hear it most of the time.

74M35A2

You can hear electricity sometimes too. Like when I dropped a ratchet and it wedged between the starter solenoid terminal and oil filter, and my truck caught fire.

Anvilface

You can hear electricity sometimes too. Like when I dropped a ratchet and it wedged between the starter solenoid terminal and oil filter, and my truck caught fire.
lol, done that, on an MK48...years ago. Across the top of the batteries though. I was able to kick it loose before the batteries exploded. Mighty scary though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you test the batteries before you replaced the alt?

I have a feeling you had multiple issues with bad batteries being one. If you had bad batteries, put in a new alt, the old batteries have released the magic smoke.....

Anvilface

Yep, I believe you are correct. I checked the batteries..not even under any load yet. Just voltage....#1 =13.4V, #2 =11.2V, #3 =6.5V, #4 =4.2 volts....I think I've got one, and possibly two batteries that are hashed. I might just eliminate the two bad ones and run a two battery set up for awhile. It doesn't get that cold here anytime and it's warming up quickly...probably a temporary as I would rather have 4 in, but run two for now.

Anvilface

Ok, so I had a bad wire running from battery to battery. I replaced the two weak batteries and BAMM...she started right up. But NOW the gauges are gone wonky. Voltage, fuel, oil pressure...all electrically operated gauges started jumping around and then flat lined. Alternator still putting out 28.2 volts...all other systems seem normal...time to break out the dang TM...

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I believe you are correct. I checked the batteries..not even under any load yet. Just voltage....#1 =13.4V, #2 =11.2V, #3 =6.5V, #4 =4.2 volts....I think I've got one, and possibly two batteries that are hashed. I might just eliminate the two bad ones and run a two battery set up for awhile. It doesn't get that cold here anytime and it's warming up quickly...probably a temporary as I would rather have 4 in, but run two for now.
I have run two batteries for years. Both here and in NY. 923 and LMTV both. Never had an issue.

74M35A2

Sounds like the dash power solenoid in your PCB is tired. Common at this age. Flip the battery switch several times on-off-on before starting to see if it clears up. If so, that is likely it. Battery voltage should be 12.8v each or close, even 12.0V is only 20% charged. Don't quantify their health by whether they start the truck or not, even though that is obviously important and pretty much their only job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks