• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53” 16.00 R20 YZL on 2005 M1088

Cgray

53” 16.00 R20 XZL on 2005 M1088

I do not have high speed gears or lockers.

Yes is is possible to do so without modifications.

PROS:

1.) Max Speed increase from 58 to 73
2.) Better gas mileage if you limit your speed to 60 mph on long hauls.
3.) Looks badass

CONS:

1.) Max speed of 73 is a bit fast for this 10 ton beast.
2.) Small amount of plastic trimming optional
3.) Slower hill accent speed with weighted load.

Overall recommendation is to do this install.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

What is the load rating of the particular 53's your considering? Speed rating of G is I believe 56mph and J is 62mph. Of course that is only if your inflated with in the specs of the tire.

Do believe most of the Military 53's are speed rating of G. so 55mph max should be considered..... calculate engine rpm at that to see if that puts the engine in a sweet spot with the results of the 53 on overall ratio

Last edited:

Cgray

What is the load rating of the particular 53's your considering? Speed rating of G is I believe 56mph and J is 62mph. Of course that is only if your inflated with in the specs of the tire.

Do believe most of the Military 53's are speed rating of G. so 55mph max should be considered..... calculate engine rpm at that to see if that puts the engine in a sweet spot with the results of the 53 on overall ratio
I considered that as well. Contacted manufacturer and was told that the speed ratings are only for full load rating of tire. So in short, I don’t believe I’ll ever fully load these tires out and if I ever did I sure the **** wouldn’t be going over 55.

My idea was as you speak of in last paragraph. Lower RPM, same highway speed and better gas mileage.

Ill take a photo of load ratings later this morning. Working on installing an tach to keep track of RPMS. Maybe it will become useful in the future. I would love to achieve that magical 10+ MPG.

ramdough

Don’t forget the age of the tire might reduce the speed you want to go.

That does look pretty cool. I would love to hear how you like it.

Do you go off-road much? Would like to hear if they hit anything when flexing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I considered that as well. Contacted manufacturer and was told that the speed ratings are only for full load rating of tire.....
agree with you there and have in past brought that up. There are plenty of tire models where they rate speed based on PSI and load..... unfortunately NOT for any of the tires as large as ours.... so that puts us in a legal limbo.

Cgray

Don’t forget the age of the tire might reduce the speed you want to go.

That does look pretty cool. I would love to hear how you like it.

Do you go off-road much? Would like to hear if they hit anything when flexing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll try to make a video or at least pictures of it Offroad this weekend. See what I can pull off.

Plan an is to definitely use it Offroad as much as on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks