• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU 419 Model Variations

peakbagger

While viewing another forum I saw an interesting cut and paste from the Mercedes Unimog Archive listing US military Unimog Variants and production runs. All the old PR I have seen listed or showed three variants, The SEE (loader excavator), The HMMH ( all terrain forklift and hydraulic crane) and the HME Entrencher (trencher out back with bulldozer blade up front).
They list a 4th variant also referred to as a HME.

Both HMEs have low production numbers, 419.102 - 13, and 419.104 153. I was surprised at the low production number for the HMMH 164 as they pop up on occasion. FLU farmer has the bulldozer but I am unsure what he has out back on that one? One of the helpful experts on BW a few years ago thought that the all the HMEs out in the wild were the 102 variation so the 419.104 version seems to mystery that should pop up as often as HMMH given the production numbers. Maybe the 104 went to some top secret base for UFO disposal;)

Model variant 419.101 - Freightliner SEE Tractor
Sales designation Freightliner SEE Tractor
Wheelbase (mm) 2380
Rated output (kW) 81
Cab Enclosed
Units produced 2086

Model variant 419.102 - Freightliner HME Tractor
Sales designation Freightliner HME Tractor
Wheelbase (mm) 2380
Rated output (kW) 81
Cab Enclosed
Units produced 13

Model variant 419.103 - Freightliner HMMH Tractor
Sales designation Freightliner HMMH Tractor
Wheelbase (mm) 2380
Rated output (kW) 81
Cab Enclosed
Units produced 164

Model variant 419.104 - Freightliner HME Tractor
Sales designation Freightliner HME Tractor
Wheelbase (mm) 2380
Rated output (kW) 81
Cab Enclosed
Units produced 153

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting how the numbers for the SEE varies. At first I remember reading 2,600-something, then 2,300-something, and now we're down to 2,086.
For the HMMH it has held steady at 164. while the HME went from 12 to 13.

I forgot about the 419.104. As I recall, it was a more or less implement free version. Saw a photo of one once, somewhere.

Anyway, the blade I'm running on the Summer SEE was "temporarily liberated" from the HME. I very seldom use the loader so installing the blade made more sense. It's great for pushing dirt and snow.
The downside is that the blade can't be used to help with getting unstuck, or for crossing ditches.

Lewis Wesson

It's interesting how the numbers for the SEE varies. At first I remember reading 2,600-something, then 2,300-something, and now we're down to 2,086.
For the HMMH it has held steady at 164. while the HME went from 12 to 13.

I forgot about the 419.104. As I recall, it was a more or less implement free version. Saw a photo of one once, somewhere.

Anyway, the blade I'm running on the Summer SEE was "temporarily liberated" from the HME. I very seldom use the loader so installing the blade made more sense. It's great for pushing dirt and snow.
The downside is that the blade can't be used to help with getting unstuck, or for crossing ditches.
Wow! I have an HMMH, and well as a SEE and thought about selling HMMH, but may rethink it and rare as they are!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about selling my spare HMMH, but now that the forklift cylinder on the one I use has sprung a leak I'm not so sure.
Either way, I don't know how I got along without a crane.

peakbagger

IMHO, I dont see a major collector market for a HMMH, if you are like FLUfarm and use it enough to justify its existence then its worth keeping but keeping it an investment in hopes of future appreciation you are lot better of buying a few mutual funds. TIhe other issue is HMMH specific spares, My guess is they are pretty slim. There was a broken HMMH for sale in the Philly area a few months ago, I expect some with fab skills could fix it but unless the original manufacture of the part could be chased down it may not be easy fix. Expedition Imports took the crane off at least one of them so he could sell the rest of the truck to someone that wanted the underlying 406 chassis.

I think FLUfarm has the rarest of the rare variants, the trencher with the bull dozer on front and think it was up for sale recently on Benzworld. Ideally to me the ultimate combination that they never built would be the SEE backhoe with the bulldozer up front. There is also reportedly at least one equipped with a snowplow.

To the very rare person who really wants or needs a HMMH will be willing to pay a premium. Finding that one person with a checking account to back it up is going to be difficult. Last thing I knew Jay Couch has had a HMMH advertised for sale for 4 or 5 years and counting.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ideally to me the ultimate combination that they never built would be the SEE backhoe with the bulldozer up front.
That combination is only two bolts away...if you find a Schmidt dozer blade. Which I did, once getting the HME.
But I'll be switching things around this spring, as having the blade on the "main backhoe" is far from ideal for me.
It's not that I use the bucket per se, but it is most helpful when getting stuck, and for traversing ditches.DSCN0634.JPG

peakbagger

So is the Schmidt dozer blade bolted to high mobility forklift structure?. I have only been in Mog world for 5 years but I have not seen any bulldozer blades except for the couple of videos on the HME variant. Is your bulldozer blade from the MB-94 variant (SEE predecessor) that had a bevy of optional accessories?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I put the blade on one of the SEEs, since it wasn't doing any good on the HME sitting in the garage.
But I could've put it on the HMMH if I wanted to.

As far as I know, the loader, forklift, and blade are all interchangeable. Same mounts. The only difference being that the forklift wouldn't have its rotation function on a SEE or HME, as the HMMH has a button on what's normally the curl lever which switches that function over.

Also, as far as I know, the backhoe, crane, and trencher are interchangeable as far as the mounts go. But the toolbox shapes prevents stowing a backhoe on an HMMH or HME. And the locking mechanisms would have to be relocated.
And since my MB 4/94 also has the same mounts front and rear, and no toolboxes, any front or rear attachment off a FLU should work on it.

In your case, the easiest would probably be to convert the loader to a quick tach, then be able to use a skidsteer blade of your liking.

peakbagger

Okay, I misunderstood, you swapped the entire assembly not just the blade. I did not know that the MB94 used the same standard mount. I have seen references in the past that folks had bought SEE accessories for the MB-94 and the mounts were different?. I guess like anything Unimog there is no such thing as standard piece.

Speedwoble

And since my MB 4/94 also has the same mounts front and rear, and no toolboxes, any front or rear attachment off a FLU should work on it.

In your case, the easiest would probably be to convert the loader to a quick tach, then be able to use a skidsteer blade of your liking.
Id like to see the FLU backhoe on the MB4/94. I bought an MB4/94 3Pt to put on my FLU, but it would not fit. On the MB4/94 there is single mount on the truck bed and double(female) mount on the attachment that fits over it.
on the FLU, there is double mount on the truck and single on the attachment.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I misunderstood, you swapped the entire assembly not just the blade. I did not know that the MB94 used the same standard mount. I have seen references in the past that folks had bought SEE accessories for the MB-94 and the mounts were different?. I guess like anything Unimog there is no such thing as standard piece.
Well, I can't say for sure that things would fit on the MB 4/94 since I've never tried. But the mounts sure look the same.
I can take photos later today and let you guys guess.

peakbagger

No need on my account, not planning to make a swap anytime soon. MB94 accessories seem to be in big demand by MB94 owners so i doubt I will run into any up north as the municipal units that were around rusted out 20 years ago.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, the front mount sure looks like a FLU mount to me, but as I mentioned, I haven't measured or tried yet.
The rear one may very DSCN3678[1].JPGDSCN3679[1].JPGwell not fit a FLU implement, as I recall pins being involved. Haven't removed a rear implement yet.
Either way, this MB 4/94 originally came equipped with a loader and a backhoe.

Speedwoble

Okay, the front mount sure looks like a FLU mount to me, but as I mentioned, I haven't measured or tried yet.
The rear one may very View attachment 823751View attachment 823752well not fit a FLU implement, as I recall pins being involved. Haven't removed a rear implement yet.
Either way, this MB 4/94 originally came equipped with a loader and a backhoe.
The model 26 backhoe as used on the MB4/94 is different than the M35 used on the FLU

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks