• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary fuel filter housing replacement?

TexAndy

So I got a forest service deuce and a half where they had removed the primary fuel filter and housing altogether. In it's place are fittings to bridge the gap between the hard copper fuel lines.

I looked at Jatonka's primary fuel filter spin on adapter but it looks like it requires the stock filter base to work. Which I don't have.

However, a few years ago I replaced my cucv stock fuel filter with a spin on adaptor from one of the big parts stores. Is there any reason why doing something like that wouldn't work on my deuce and a half? Or wouldn't be advisable?

Has anyone here done that? If so, which filter base did you use and why?

Thanks in advance

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main reason for using the stock filter base is to be able to return to stock condition easily.

No reason to not use a commercial base/filter combo instead.

I am curious to know what the Forest Service did on the secondary filter side. Did they perhaps put two spin ons in series to create an easily accessible primary/secondary filter setup? We do agree that the stock primary filter is...umm..ill positioned!!

The spin on conversion I use (from Westfolk) only has one secondary filter on a NAPA base and an adapter for the primary in the stock location.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TexAndy

It's going to be hard to return my truck to stock condition... it doesn't have a stock primary fuel filter base/housing.

They left the secondary and final fuel filters alone.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa 4309 is nearly a perfect fit, need to make a bracket. The lines might need a slight tweak to get them to line up, it wasn’t much work to make it work on mine. I borrowed the adapters from the old housing to convert the NPT threads on the housing to the line threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katahdin

I've used Bill W's technique on two of my truck, works great. Tip: Keep the bolts and plumbing fittings loose while assembling, then tighten everything down.

m715mike

Just got the wife to order Bill Ws' solution for me as a 29th Anniversary gift. I love that woman.... 8)
29 years, ugh? I bet you needed new filters.

(Okay, I couldn’t help myself.)

On a serious note, thank you for starting this thread. I have spin on oil filters and want to add spin on fuel filters. This information was helpful!

77 AMG

LOL, m715mike. Agreed, thanks to TexAndy for getting this re-do thread rolling. Next up, converting the secondary and finals over to a more"field friendly" version......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks