• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires for M1028

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman5214

I was told our pickup is a M1028 from this forum and the fire company got the truck from the DCNR federal excess vehicle program. It came with tires, but these are not the best for off-road locations like we are going to use this truck for. It has a 200 gallon water tank in rear so it will sink in muddy conditions. The tire size is 235 85R 16 but should we get something like a Goodyear Mt/R with Kevlar or would it be better with original style tires the military would use on this (not sure what they look like).
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-mtr-kevlar

Being we are volunteer, is there any place to get tires at a good price for this because we are already applying for a forestry grant and we have 20,000.00 worth of equipment and upgrades for this truck and our deuce already. Do you think there are any places that would do a donation of tires?

Any help is appreciated.

pickup2.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the Wrangler Authority tire 265's E load range at Wal Mart for $130. Same tread as the HMMWV Wrangler, aggressive MT. Work exceptional for me.
Installing the HMMWV 37's gets you into lift kits and spacers, more expense.

Lots of threads on CUCV tires here with dozens of opinions.
Also look at Craigslist for cheap takeoff tires from late model trucks.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure their E rated.

Like mentioned, tons of opinions about tires.

As far as getting a set donated?
Only you can answer that since you know the local area businesses and their attitudes towards supporting the Fire Dept. with free items.
Some businesses are better than others and some simply will not help.

fireman5214

Just make sure their E rated.

Like mentioned, tons of opinions about tires.

As far as getting a set donated?
Only you can answer that since you know the local area businesses and their attitudes towards supporting the Fire Dept. with free items.
Some businesses are better than others and some simply will not help.
yes we will make sure load range E, but I was more wondering about any online or surplus dealers. I sent an email to tirerack and tirehub.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The worst the corporate guys can do is say no.

Sounds like a VFD pancake dinner to raise $$ for new tires might be in order.
We always attend them here locally whenever possible to help out.

See if your local PD/SO can spare any.
They usually have access to things the fire department does not.
Worth a shot anyway.

The local volunteer fire department here has a lot of items that could be sold as surplus to raise money.
Water tanks they’ll never use.
Trucks they don’t drive anymore.
Etc.
I know there’s probably government red tape in selling that stuff, but you get the idea.

fireman5214

trust me I wheel and deal with many companies. I know we dont have much surplus but we are working on something else for a fundraiser. I will keep trying to get the corporates. Never give up lol I do have an email for a guy from the local national guard - they bring a rock climbing wall to our carnival, you don't think they would have any partially used tires around for this type of truck anymore, do you?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local National Guard Maintenance Facility here only has the bigger LMTV, etc. tires and the HMMWV tires.
They can, if you have a great relationship with them, dispose of a used set to you, but the ones I’ve seen you wouldn’t want.
The Departments around here have a great relationship with the NG.
It’s definitely worth a shot to ask.
It all depends on the OIC. Officer in charge.

Installing HMMWV tires on a CUCV brings its own problems as already mentioned.
None of the surrounding FD/VFDs that use CUCVs use them.
It involves extra cost and truck prep, including cutting fenders.

All the fire department CUCVs around this area use the stock tire size or just a tad wider.
No issues that I’ve heard or seen.
They also have water tanks installed and are all used as brush trucks.

The Guthrie FD did get their tanker/brush truck stuck a few days ago.
The CUCVs did just fine.

ADF5F90B-8A18-4ECF-B374-34AD834828B8.jpg

Last edited:

319cssb

I just got a set for my dually and there are some very reasonably priced MT for around $125 each . I looked for 235/85/16

ehuppert

I. and several others on here have used the Wrangler Duratracs. Lots of protection on tire sides and are really incredible off road. Pretty good manners on road too for a on/off road. Move up to a 265 75 16, almost 400 lbs higher weight rating than the 235 85's. Same height, but a little wider. They call for minimum 7: wide rim, but I've got 285 75 16 on mine with no issue.

If this is a brush truck tires are not a place where you should be trying to save money! You don't want to be rethinking a cheap tire purchase at the worst possible time! And the worst possible time is when things generally go south

As for military tires, they were generally crap. Lowest bidder. Think they came with some sort of low end wrangler when new. (Yea, i kind of remember, little bit ago!) Even so, pretty rare these got stuck. Then again, saw some stupid stunts where we towed stuff out, but us Army guys weren't always the smartest, or plain just didn't care.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have to agree that tires on a Fire Rescue, Brush Truck are not something that the cheapest wins. I have BFG 285 75 16 All Terrains on the 6.5 rims with no issue also.

Most time when you have to have the brush truck the ground is hard anyway, but still you may have to deal with unseen hazards. On our VFD 77 K30 dual wheel Brush Truck we have a Very Aggressive mud and snow tire because after all it is Emergency Equipment. Fortunately the town I live in can provide for the VFD.

Matt5

Banned
"brush truck" aka no one in danger some grass is on fire... and as anyone who is doing this stuff should know, putting out brush fires just makes things worse on the next but...

Very simple, general grabber... a post was made here each tire was 99$ from summit... mt/r is about the MOST expensive tire SOLD in that tire size and is useless. I had them for a short time and was not impressed not for the cost (granted mine were free).

The smarter move is to put on a harbor freight winch on it...

It's a 6.2 diesel... if you get stuck in the mud the motor does not have the balls to spin out anyway...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"brush truck" aka no one in danger some grass is on fire... and as anyone who is doing this stuff should know, putting out brush fires just makes things worse on the next
Clearly you haven’t a clue on just how dangerous and costly a “grass” fire is.

Wildlife and livestock killed/injured and displaced.
Grass destroyed leaving no grazing for animals.
Fencing and utility power poles/lines destroyed
Barns and corrals burned
Equipment destroyed
Houses destroyed.
People, including firefighters killed.
Soil erosion after the fire destroying watersheds.

Grass fires In Oklahoma can be and have been devastating.
The fires move at amazing speeds, destroying hundreds of thousands of acres of grassland.
People have been trapped and killed in cars that were caught by the fast moving grass fire.
Literally a wall of fire that doesn’t stop at the city limits.

Brush Truck’s are an extremely important asset to any fire department.

Matt5

Banned
Ya cool story, the dude is in PA and you clearly know *nothing* nothing at all. Go learn something about putting out brush fires, go learn exactly what I said, by the brush not being allowed to burn off, it leaves more and more for the next fire... this is EXACTLY why the fires in California are always worse and worse.

No one cares about fires in oklahoma when the guy is in PA. But thanks for finding the need to go 100% OT and just try to attack someone when again, you have not a clue as to what you are talking about... If the truck is so important maybe they should get a new one... I mean this one already don't start. I'll be happy to pick it up for $3,000. I mean really... the truck is EXACTLY as I said... it's for some plants burning it aint a god **** ladder truck or a tanker for a structure fire... but you find the need to go onto a HUGE OT rant...

Maybe go look up what a controlled burn is...

Yet again it is a BRUSH truck... no one's house is on fire, no one is in immediate danger...

I have a ex k30 brush truck thanks, had the PTO pump and a utility body (had tank but was removed prior to me getting it)... and *stock* sized tires... guess somehow that worked fine for them...

I mean for real, go away and stop trolling.

You have given no useful info here except "get load range E" rofl...
I have given my reason for my answer (its a 6.2 dog brush truck)
Given a better option (imo) for what will likely happen (winch as, oh ya the ex brush truck I had had a PTO winch)
Given a reason (6.2 as no power to spin the tires and clear the mud)

You go on a huge rant about a grass fire... wow...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks