• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major issue after installing 16:00's

Lukes_deuce

Anyone happen to know the diameter of the torque rod end bolts? I'm considering having a set of adjustable torque rods built in order to give a small amount of adjustment when running 16:00's. Thoughts?
While it sounds like a good idea to have adjust-ability, the axles need to be square to them selves and to each other, or your going to have more problems. Have you checked your trunnion bushing to see if that has play in it? The space in between the wheels needs to be the same on both sides. I can see a little play but there shouldnt be anything noticeable unless something else has failed in the suspension. The dog bone bushings are really fixed connections. They might flex over rough terrain but not when your on flat, level ground. I feel like something else is up. Dog bones are not drag links or tie rods.

The torque rods used on trailers is only one inch shorter then the torque rods used on trucks .
trailer 28 1/4 black
truck 29 1/4 green

maybe at one time the wrong torque rods where used

Attachments

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some bridge truck bones, springs, and driveshafts. I think they're an inch longer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I need some bridge truck bones, springs, and driveshafts. I think they're an inch longer.
For what it would cost to find those you can cut and extend the current dog bones with channel, add 2 lower long leafs and your between axle driveshaft will still work for the inch difference

Something is just offset somewhere. Or like he said one dog bone is shorter. It has happened before. Knowing where that truck came from they just threw a part on it that they had

Attachments

Scrounger

For what it would cost to find those you can cut and extend the current dog bones with channel, add 2 lower long leafs and your between axle driveshaft will still work for the inch difference

Something is just offset somewhere. Or like he said one dog bone is shorter. It has happened before. Knowing where that truck came from they just threw a part on it that they had
Before redesigning the truck why not figure out what the problem is? As Wes has posted something is not lining up. If you were able to separate the tires with a come a long something is loose. Look for new rust, loose bolts, and measure things. Make sure all the torque rods are the same length.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before redesigning the truck why not figure out what the problem is? As Wes has posted something is not lining up. If you were able to separate the tires with a come a long something is loose. Look for new rust, loose bolts, and measure things. Make sure all the torque rods are the same length.
Something is worn out . If 1 dogbone was shorter than the rest there would have been unusual tire wear on the old tires.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have inspected the suspension as best that I know how. Nothing is bent or worn that I can tell. All dogbones are green (haven't measured them yet) and rubber bushings look good. Spring position on both sides appears uniform. Even with a 4 ton come a long double blocked, I was only able to move the rear axle back about 1/2" to separate the tires in order to get the truck home.

Lukes_deuce

Im still going with something is broken or wrong dog bone. I suggest to find the same model 5 ton that is known to be straight and take measurements. Something is off, you just have to find it. New tires do not make a good suspension wrong all of a sudden.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Post some pictures of what you have going on Russ as well as some underside pics.

You may even measure the lower dog bones to make sure they are all the same. Contrary to porkyplaces statement. If you dont drive something alot to cause an unusual tire wear it wont show. Not to mention also even an axle canted like it's under load it wont wear that obvious either. Unless its heavy road driving. not to mention the Goodyear at2s just scuff up over wearing the edge in the rears. Especially with a throttle load vs without one

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Incredible life. Still tread left too. Never would have guessed that for that tread design. What is the tread wear rating for them?
They are rated for 14,500lbs each. So basically I am hardly ever at 9000lbs a tire really even with a full bed or lots on tongue weight. I have maybe 8 to 10k left in the rear

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks