• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another sound deadening project

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've already put on a new muffler (Donaldson), & extended the stack a couple feet (I plan on putting on a 7 foot camper in the box so the extended stack won't look as funny then). I don't want to relocate the exhaust out the back - life is full of compromises.

I also have the D turbo.

Right now, I can drive around town at 25 mph w/out ear protection and can hold a just slightly elevated conversation in the cab. On the highway though, still need ear protection.

So, I did a number of searches here and on the web.

I've decided to go with Dyamat because I can afford it.

I'm gonna use the butyl .067" as a base for everything, under the hood and in the cab. Under the hood I'm also gonna put use Dynamat's hood liner as a second layer.

Now for a second layer for the cab I'm still looking into this. I'm gonna need some sort of mat to protect everything so either I put something like Noico's 170 mil closed cel (1 or 2 layers?) then something on top - at least on the floor to protect it OR I get a protective mat that has sound proofing built in.

Couple of links I've come across, one which was on an old SS thread:

http://cabinsulation.com/index.html

and a new one that just has a boatload of sound products for EVERYTHING, and I thought I should put in a post so others can see:

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/

Last edited:

texas30cal

Noico also makes a product identical to dynamat but about 1/2 price, noico Black on amazon. I attached my floor insulation to the back of my floor mats so they can be removed to dry in case they get wet. The mats are black rubber sheet about 1/8” thick with diamond plate tread on one side, comes on a roll, also from amazon.

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought rubber mats at Tractor Supply. They are used for horse trailers. They are about half inch thick, diamond plate pattern on the top side. This stuff is made from recycled tires. Very heavy and dense. I cut the mats to fit the floor using a saber saw with a metal cutting blade. There are bits of steel belt in the mat, but they cut pretty easily. I also used Dynamat on back of the cab and inside the doors. I’ll be doing more, but so far I have dropped the noise level inside the M934 cab substantially. I took dB measurements before the treatments and I will take them again when I finish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks