• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV licensure in KS

dmuldrew

Has anyone licensed a 998 or similar for on road use in KS? In my state the process when you buy a vehicle in KS is to talk it to the State Patrol, they do a title inspection only, give you paperwork and you take that to the DMV to get a license. The vehicle I have was purchased in Kentucky, has an on road general use title in KY. It seem s to me that the simple thing would be to transfer the title and give me plates. **** Ive been driving for 2 weeks on a KY temp tag. But the women at the DMV are stomping their feet and telling me it wasn't made for on road use. I could use some help here!!!

They were willing to title it but not give me plates.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
1 Did the Kansas Hwy Patrol do a Vin inspection?, (has to be taken it to a inspection station in your county or appointment made with hypo that covers your county),Bring all your paperwork, that has to be done 1st if not already titled in KS for an on road title/plates. Do not argue with the trooper/inspector. Have $ as it is a seperate fee. After that then go to DMV with proof of insurance, KY title, BOS and $$ for taxes. The title they were willing to give you was off road use, I have them on my dirt bikes don't insurance and cheaper, no road tax. The folks at the DMV can tell you where/who does the inspection in your county.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Conversations about how to get around SF-97 are strictly prohibited on this forum.

Sorry,

T

dmuldrew

Not trying to work around the law or break the law. But I could title this and license it in OK or several other states, and legally drive it on KS roads. Just trying to make sense out of our senseless gov I guess. I did get a note back from my state rep, who is from my city that's a bit encouraging. I don't have an SF-97. I have a general use title from KY.

Dennis:

Good news and bad news. The bad news is a lot of paperwork. The good news is a representative I work with who is an attorney had the exact same problem. She is bringing me information and I will help with our county attorney to get this worked out.
I hope that gives you some encouragement. I’m with you!

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not trying to work around the law or break the law. But i could title this and license it in ok or several other states, and legally drive it on ks roads. Just trying to make sense out of our senseless gov i guess. I did get a note back from my state rep, who is from my city that's a bit encouraging. I don't have an sf-97. I have a general use title from ky.

[font=&amp]dennis:[/font][font=&amp]
[/font]

[font=&amp]good news and bad news. The bad news is a lot of paperwork. The good news is a representative i work with who is an attorney had the exact same problem. She is bringing me information and i will help with our county attorney to get this worked out.
I hope that gives you some encouragement. I’m with you! [/font]
vote for that guy and contribute to his re-election committee!

riderdan

I registered mine in KS using the normal process.

1. Bought the vehicle in TN with an on-road title.
  2. Made sure it would pass the VIN inspection and walk-around by adding a backup light.
  3. Had it inspected.
  4. Took the VIN inspection info and TN title to the tag office. They had some difficulty with the six-digit VIN, but managed to get it into the system as an "Out of state assigned VIN."
  5. Paid the tax and collected my plates.

At what point did this break down for you? Was it just the ladies in the tag office? How did they even know about it? Are tag office employees attending "how to be a bureaucratic nightmare" conventions?

I hope the help you get resolves the problem. If it does, you might what to write it up and post the solution here on SS so future KS residents who have a similar problem can find it.

Last edited:

dmuldrew

I registered mine in KS using the normal process.

1. Bought the vehicle in TN with an on-road title.
  2. Made sure it would pass the VIN inspection and walk-around by adding a backup light.
  3. Had it inspected.
  4. Took the VIN inspection info and TN title to the tag office. They had some difficulty with the six-digit VIN, but managed to get it into the system as an "Out of state assigned VIN."
  5. Paid the tax and collected my plates.

At what point did this break down for you? Was it just the ladies in the tag office? How did they even know about it? Are tag office employees attending "how to be a bureaucratic nightmare" conventions?

I hope the help you get resolves the problem. If it does, you might what to write it up and post the solution here on SS so future KS residents who have a similar problem can find it.
Are you tagged for on road use? If so please send me a pm with your contact info. I’d like to all.

Passed the KSP VIN inspection. Titled for on road use in KY when I bought it. Breakdown at DMV.

DREDnot

Was it just the ladies in the tag office? How did they even know about it? Are tag office employees attending "how to be a bureaucratic nightmare" conventions?
Actually, the one I went to had nothing but DMV employees as keynote speakers. They have been leaders of the bureaucracy training industry since they took over from the water department in the early 1900s

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks