• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP208 - can't get the rear housing off

McLovin

Hey guys,

my NP208 is here on my table and I would like to change the rear output seal and bushing ( TIMKEN 5208 ).
Seal was leaking and the bushing seems to have wear marks.
Outputshaft has no radial or axial play.

Anyway, removed the 4 bolts, which hold the tail housing, but can't get it off.

Tried to hammer a little bit with a plasik hammer, but no chance.
Don't want force too much, because aluminum.
It looks like the guy before used a black RTV.

It should go just out, like here (9:50) (I like his accent lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3U-GmavYEM&list=PLK0Tk8gl6wH57ZvGy6sSzStRBNpv5rCcA&index=14

But not here :cry:

Any ideas?
I have a small 200W heat gun here, 350/550 degree celsius.
Should I try to warm up the tail housing with that?
Will I get a problem with the speedo gear inside the tail housing?

Thank you

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that black RTV has it stuck. Try a thin putty knife to get it started. I believe once it starts coming loose it will be easy from then on. I wouldn't put heat on it.

Hope this helps.

Keith_J

I've replaced both bushing and seal with transfer case in place. Just have to pull the driveshaft. This was on a 1009 so it was a 208 TC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks