• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MERDC Mules

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,I am getting ready to restore my M274A5 and I have decided to do the MERDC paint scheme vs the usual 24087/USMC green colors. I know Lance Miller did many of his mules in winter MERDC, does anyone have photos of mules in the other MERDC color schemes? I am trying to nail down which scheme to go with. Thanks

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in 1979-mid '80s, our Mules (USMC) were a mix of older green ones and newer MERDEC ones, mostly Winter Verdant as that seemed to be the almost standard camo for Marine vehicles. In Panama, we did use the Jungle scheme with predominantly green on vehicles, but I don't specifically remember any Mules painted that way.

I don't like being critical of other folks hard work, but museums should research their subject and make sure they get things right, because they are often viewed as a reference source. That Louisiana Mule is very nice, but it does bother me when a museum restores a vehicle in a totally inaccurate scheme.
The only time you would see a Mule painted 24087 with stars with Marine markings was if it was a 'reallocated government asset", which was the polite term for items transferred from the Army (with or without their knowledge).

Cheers

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A while back I had a few (6) MERDC mules. All were purchased by the USMC none were Army purchased and were manufactured 68-70. They were all disposed of by Ellsworth AFB DRMO. I think at one time (late 70s or early 80s) they had 12 MERDEC units. The pictures of a few are not to good but if you look closely you can make out the MERDEC scheme.

Attachments

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a m274a5 that looks to be in the MERDEC color scheme. I need to power wash it to really tell though because it sat outside until recently and its covered in dust and some moss. It was an army mule and has not been touched cosmetically since it came from DRMO. This picture gives the best view of any that I have now and until I pressure wash it, I won’t be able to get any better ones. It is definitely a camo paint scheme from what I can tell, it’s much easier to see in person than from the picture.1293CEA9-C126-4194-935B-FDAEB763C80F.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks