• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire options for m35a2- so lost

13ronin

Ok all. First of all, I know this has been asked a lot. Yes I have searched, but after reading at least 10 threads, and about an additional hour on google, I'm still just as lost.

Second, I don't own a deuce yet, but am planning on it. Included in that planning is thinking ahead for cost of ownership and operating expenses as well as outfitting for my needs. I plan on getting one in the fall as my forever truck and hobby wrenching project, but also as my winter warrior. I live in the snow belt of PA ane spend about 2 hrs a day on the highway commuting. Sure there are more economic options. But they just wouldn't be as much fun... or deer proof which matters as I leave the house at 445am when they're still out and about.

Anyhow enough bs background. I guess the point is... just what the **** size are these tires?!? I'm new to the big truck scene. All I know are the sizing specs for cars (225/65/17 kind). So i know 11r20 will work (largest on stock rims) and i think 9r20 is stock. What size are these actually so i can shop for tires? Not planning on going super singles. I have read the narrower tires are better for snow/ice which is what I'm mostly concerned about.

As always thanks in advance. I know this gets asked a lot. Sticky guide maybe?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11.00R20 would be a good choice with the right tread. Your 2 hour commute is going to turn into a 4 hour commute once you figure in the top speed and start-up warm-up and shut-off cooling times. And the heaters suck.

13ronin

Ya I kinda figure on that... but at least I'll GET there. Besides top speed isn't a concern in that weather when I'm lucky to get past 35 in my front wheel drive car with winter treads on. So where do I shop for 11 20? What size are they in the method I'm used to? When I search 11r20 tires almost nothing but military ndt come up

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Nomad1

I run power king super traction hd 9/20 for winter driving it's about a 40" tire u can get from a few places I tell u where I got mine if ur interested and can't find them
Ya I kinda figure on that... but at least I'll GET there. Besides top speed isn't a concern in that weather when I'm lucky to get past 35 in my front wheel drive car with winter treads on. So where do I shop for 11 20? What size are they in the method I'm used to? When I search 11r20 tires almost nothing but military ndt come up

13ronin

Also that gives me a 9r20 option. But I still dont really know what size these are. I figure the 20 is the rim size, but what what does the 9 or 11 mean? What is the 3rd dimension of the tire size?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also that gives me a 9r20 option. But I still dont really know what size these are. I figure the 20 is the rim size, but what what does the 9 or 11 mean? What is the 3rd dimension of the tire size?
9.00 = 9 inch wide thread
20 = 20 inch wheel
r = radial

13ronin

9.00 = 9 inch wide thread
20 = 20 inch wheel
r = radial
Ah ha! I see. So if I did some math I could find max diameter for both rear axles so the tires dont rub anything, convert to metric, and done. Ok that clears up some stuff. So the 11 20s are wider. I take theres probably a standard somewhere for sidewall height. Thanks that helps a lot

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah ha! I see. So if I did some math I could find max diameter for both rear axles so the tires dont rub anything, convert to metric, and done. Ok that clears up some stuff. So the 11 20s are wider. I take theres probably a standard somewhere for sidewall height. Thanks that helps a lot
11.00 -20's are wider and a little bit taller .
This is a size chart for NDCC's but will give you a idea .

Attachments

tobyS

Google "tire size comparison" and "tire size calculator" and look at the tread patterns and who makes them.

NDT (Non-directional tires) are a bias ply tire and can be really slick on wet roads (empty). I wouldn't use them (bias ply tire) to commute with.

While I like the Goodyear G177 in 11.00R20, it is probably not a great snow tread. Michelin has some nice ones. The 11.00R20 tire has the same revolutions per mile as a 365/80R20, to get a radial tire with some flotation up front.

If you have not driven a deuce lately you can probably find someone to take you for a ride and let you drive one. I'm not sure you have the best truck for what you describe.

From your question, I assume you don't work on heavy machinery or have fabrication or alteration skills.

Since most have differentials, if you want to get through, you will need differential locks on one or both rear axles.

I'm a fan of reducing the weight and number of axles with the 2.5 and 5 tons and super single tires, not having 10 tires like a deuce with duels. Look at images of "bobbed" trucks before you say "never" to major alteration.

davidb56

I got 11.20's Michelin xl. they seemed to work well in the snow here. good luck on a two hour commute as you'll need headphones or ear plugs. Also I get approx 6mpg, but Im pretty remote.20190313_164620.jpg

13ronin

I'm a millwright so mechanical is what I do. Actually from the videos I've watch these things have more in common with the machines I work on than regular cars when it comes to size and weight. I need to acquire more tools, but hey, this would make a great excuse for the wife when I have to get that big compressor or welder. Planned of diff locks for front axle within first year, But a lock on the 2nd axle is a good idea. And I've seen the pics of bobs. Maybe one day, but slowly. First order of business it outfitting for service. As for noise, ya I know they're noisy. That's part of outftting- insulating and sound deadening. I've seen threads of guys who have done with different kinds of insulation, nylon bushings, muffler, etc. Challenge accepted. Haven't had a chance to drive one yet though... put out a thread on that a month or two ago actually. Live in NW PA

davidb56

The turning radius is pretty big. Up here I have to back up for almost half my turns. Good mirrors are a must, but since Im remote, the only thing I can back into/over is deer elk and firewood/trees, so Im good. I may buy another one to "bob" next year for slinking around in the woods(play) instead of pure work like the one I have now.

tobyS

Good to hear you are mechanically inclined. I couldn't imagine having to hire everything.

I've had 14 of the 5 tons and 2 A3 deuces, so was able to make some comparisons. I named my latest deuce "Money Pit" and put blood into the project about a week ago. It will hopefully be one of the better riding 4x4 deuces and able to keep up with traffic if need be.

Good luck with commuting in a deuce. Some survive it fine but being the slow guy on the highway gets old. Losing your hearing and having ringing in your ears, yes to insulation, muffler and headset. But I think you should be looking into an A2 5 ton if both ends of the trip have parking available. Run with the big dogs.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I "commuted" in my Deuce a few times. From a rural area into the city, about 50 km (30 miles) one way.
CAN it do it? Yes.
Is it stressful? YES.

First off, you are a slowpoke, no matter how you turn it. You are slower than most commuter (and commercial) traffic, everybody is in a hurry and tries to get around you. True, "not my problem", but yet it is, because then they squeeze in right in front of you, taking the very space you need to stop safely. And you do not stop on a dime. Changing lanes is harder, because you deal with the typical blind spots that a medium duty truck has, while surrounded by drivers that do not know and do not care. You are driving in city traffic and your head is on a swivel, constantly.

I love driving my M35A2C and I much rather drive it on rural highways and gravel roads than into the city. I rather drive it long-distance anywhere, but into the city. No way would I voluntarily use it as my commuter vehicle.

DeucesWild11

I'd go with the 11's over the 9's if you have a lot of highway driving, you'll get a little more speed even if the ODO is not showing it. Can't imagine mine without the big 395's anymore. I took it to work once about 35mi away and thought that was nuts! You'll understand once you get your truck.. Good luck!

PS: check out some of the vendors advertised here some of them have tires available too!

dmetalmiki

I have 1200x20 on two of my deuces.
MAKE SURE you obtain tire with a GOOD tread pattern and grip.
These trucks DO NOT steer ( At all well ) ,in the wet ice or snow.
Do not use the speed available in inclement weathers. Just drive carefully and enjoy the lower RPMs cruise and better fuel mileage.

Last edited:

13ronin

I hear what you guys are saying about the city... no way would I commute in heavy traffic. That does sound stressful. But my commute right now is low traffic, very early in the morning, almost all toll roads. And even then I only plan to run the deuce when the weather is rotten anyway. Too expensive for a daily year round. Not just for the fuel but the toll is triple if over 2 axles. Like I said. This a hobby I can enjoy when it's nice but count on when its crappy out. A forever truck that was built to work on and be maintained, not fall apart around itself after 100k mikes si you have to buy new.

1200x20? Tell me more! I'd always read 11.00x20 was the biggest for the stock wheels

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks