• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire options for m35a2- so lost

13ronin

Good to hear you are mechanically inclined. I couldn't imagine having to hire everything.

I've had 14 of the 5 tons and 2 A3 deuces, so was able to make some comparisons. I named my latest deuce "Money Pit" and put blood into the project about a week ago. It will hopefully be one of the better riding 4x4 deuces and able to keep up with traffic if need be.

Good luck with commuting in a deuce. Some survive it fine but being the slow guy on the highway gets old. Losing your hearing and having ringing in your ears, yes to insulation, muffler and headset. But I think you should be looking into an A2 5 ton if both ends of the trip have parking available. Run with the big dogs.
I thought about a 5 ton... but i.realy like the multifuel engine and manual transmission. Also if I want to put more weight in it besides groceries, I'd need a cdl correct?

davidb56

here is a pic of 14.5 wide A3 tires/wheels up front and 11/20 tires in the rear on A2 stock rims. Handles pretty good in the snow. Ice would probably be a different story.IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some impressions of mine for this thread.

So, I know you said you don't want to go the super single route, however, being 15% bigger than the stock NDT's (which totally suck on an asphalt surface, especially in the rain), you go 15% faster and get 15% better mileage. So, my top speed now is 62 and even though I live in the right lane, at least I can do the truck speed limit in my state (60 mph). My mileage on the NDT's was 8 and went to 9 with the super singles. Super singles are stupidly expensive though, so unless you have deep pockets or can get them used (see below) you should probably stay away from them.

Whatever you do, swap out the NDT's as they're also non-radial and did I mention they suck on road surfaces?

My first year of ownership I put about 3k miles on my deuce, mostly highway miles and you just get used to driving the truck so I wouldn't worry about it much - either you'll like it and accept your place on the highway or you won't. I have a bmw that'll lives in the left lane - all things to their own ability.

If there is a military base within your driving distance pay attention to gov surplus web sites as you can often get tires mounted on wheels (rims) at stupid prices, like pennies on the dollar (your tax dollars at work!). I picked up about $20k in super singles, mounted, for about $330.

A pic of my truck just before and after I mounted new tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nomad1

You might need a cdl regardless of what you carry in a 5ton check with your state don't go on here say find out for sure
I thought about a 5 ton... but i.realy like the multifuel engine and manual transmission. Also if I want to put more weight in it besides groceries, I'd need a cdl correct?

13ronin

You might need a cdl regardless of what you carry in a 5ton check with your state don't go on here say find out for sure
Interesting you said that cause I just got done with a little research. The m54a2 weights in around 19000lbs. In my state as long as you're under 26,000 total, you're golden. And the plot thickens...

Nomad1

My deuce is rated at over 23,000 fully loaded according to the data plate
Interesting you said that cause I just got done with a little research. The m54a2 weights in around 19000lbs. In my state as long as you're under 26,000 total, you're golden. And the plot thickens...

rustystud

Just some impressions of mine for this thread.

So, I know you said you don't want to go the super single route, however, being 15% bigger than the stock NDT's (which totally suck on an asphalt surface, especially in the rain), you go 15% faster and get 15% better mileage. So, my top speed now is 62 and even though I live in the right lane, at least I can do the truck speed limit in my state (60 mph). My mileage on the NDT's was 8 and went to 9 with the super singles. Super singles are stupidly expensive though, so unless you have deep pockets or can get them used (see below) you should probably stay away from them.

Whatever you do, swap out the NDT's as they're also non-radial and did I mention they suck on road surfaces?

My first year of ownership I put about 3k miles on my deuce, mostly highway miles and you just get used to driving the truck so I wouldn't worry about it much - either you'll like it and accept your place on the highway or you won't. I have a bmw that'll lives in the left lane - all things to their own ability.

If there is a military base within your driving distance pay attention to gov surplus web sites as you can often get tires mounted on wheels (rims) at stupid prices, like pennies on the dollar (your tax dollars at work!). I picked up about $20k in super singles, mounted, for about $330.

A pic of my truck just before and after I mounted new tires.
Sad to say having a Military Base near by means nothing anymore. Fort Lewis no longer allows any auction activity on base. All items are sent down to Utah now.
I talked with the "late" manager at fort Lewis last year just before they closed down. After Gov Liquidation lost the contract the Military decided due to security reasons to no longer allow any auction activity on base anymore. So very sad ! :sad:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
States go with the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), not the empty weight. If you declare a lower weight than the max, you may be able to purchase a license tag for a little bit less. BUT, if you ever get stopped or otherwise are weighed and you are one ounce over the declared weight - let's just say it's gonna be expensive, in spades!!!

davidb56

Correct...I had to license mine for under 16000lbs in order to avoid a commercial plate. This means that I can only carry 2500lbs on the highway, but it also makes liability insurance cheaper and easier to obtain. For me, that was the best route as I will use the deuce to firewood off road/remote area, snow plow the deep stuff, and have a trailer to carry the real heavy loads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks