• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly purchased CUCV M1009 won't turn over.

AC130 Above

Newly purchased CUCV M1009 STILL won't turn over.

**Please see last comment for newest update**

First off I'd like to thank everyone here for sharing all their experience and expertise on this site. It has been very helpful in my learning process of the CUCV M1009.

I purchased this truck a few days ago and it all of a sudden it will not start. It happened yesterday I went to cold start it, it gave a few turn overs, two rotation of the ignition, the third, nothing. I blew a fuse in the process, for the blinkers and headlights somehow, not sure (it did have the wrong amperage fuse in it) . It is just making a clicking noise now at the starter. Everything lights up on the dash.

Also it is running off of only 1 alternator, the other was rebuilt and I have yet to have it installed.

I have made a couple of videos to help diagnose my problem, please see the links below. Please help me!! I bought this truck to learn how to work on and it has got me stumped already!

All help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

If you have trouble viewing the video let me know.

https://vimeo.com/user72601403/review/328303874/559de1298d

fuse box and what I suspect to be the relay

https://vimeo.com/user72601403/review/328304485/fbe8ac18f2

Last edited:

90Jimmy

One generator can not charge both batteries....it has to have 24 volts to start. It’s not going to start with one battery charged and the other discharged.

AC130 Above

One generator can not charge both batteries....it has to have 24 volts to start. It’s not going to start with one battery charged and the other discharged.
I checked the batteries, which are new 1/19, and they read at or around 12v with the truck off. I don't think it is a battery issue.

90Jimmy

If your truck is still 24 Volts and one generator is removed only one battery is charged...a battery can show 12Volts reading before a load. There is no possible way that both batteries are being charged. You started out with 2 batteries fully charged, after a few starts there is not enough voltage under load to start that truck. It’s functioning as designed...and it’s not designed to run with one operational generator. There is no solution to this problem until you install a second functioning generator and trouble shoot from there.

AC130 Above

If your truck is still 24 Volts and one generator is removed only one battery is charged...a battery can show 12Volts reading before a load. There is no possible way that both batteries are being charged. You started out with 2 batteries fully charged, after a few starts there is not enough voltage under load to start that truck. It’s functioning as designed...and it’s not designed to run with one operational generator. There is no solution to this problem until you install a second functioning generator and trouble shoot from there.
Thank you for your response, there is a lot of truth in what you are saying. Would it be possible to use jumper cables on the second battery that isn't hooked up to an alternator? Would that make any difference? Sorry I'm just not used to thinking in this 24v system, I tried jumping it off earlier with no good result.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
If the alternator is rebuilt can you bolt back onto engine? Have you checked out the blackout light switches to see if they have been tampered with?

AC130 Above

If the alternator is rebuilt can you bolt back onto engine? Have you checked out the blackout light switches to see if they have been tampered with?
Previous owner had the passenger (missing) alternator rebuilt. It is just uninstalled. What is stopping me is the electrical hook ups are somewhat chewed up. I am unfamiliar with this alternator and will have to do some research to make sure I am hooking it up correctly.

And I haven't checked with the black out switches, could that mess with things?

MarcusOReallyus

First, you need to determine if your beast is stock or if it has been converted to 12v. Do you know that?

If it has not been converted, and is still 24v, STOP.

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Don't try this and try that. Stop it. Stop all of it.

Fix the known problem before you start troubleshooting anything else.

1. Get that second alternator installed.
  2. Fix any blown fuses.
  3. Check your fusible links to make sure you didn't blow one of them.
  4. Disconnect and charge each battery.

THEN, and ONLY then, try to start it.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Also what is the voltage on each battery and then combined?

Marcus is right about the 12 volt conversion.

The headlight blown fuse needs attention to see that there is not a chaffed power wire grounding out.

Seems that there is several problems happening. Check out wires carefully, sometimes jumper wires are added for accessories or larger wires are used for a crutch for a bad circuit.

Last edited:

90Jimmy

I’ve been just where you are, had a truck with no gen 2 light. If batteries were fully charged it would start several times “warm conditions” then would not start because second battery finally discharged to the point it wouldn’t start truck.
You will quickly realize patience is a must for a CUCV owner...it’s new and you want to have it running. Just take a break man. Charge both batteries separate of one another....get that second Gen installed, maybe tackle that job yourself. Then start over with known to be good, fully charged batteries and go from there. Even if you get it jumped right now you’ve solved nothing. Do those things a repost, people way smarter than me will help. More importantly the TM will be more useful for trouble shooting. Good luck and enjoy man. This is a hobby bro....

AC130 Above

First, you need to determine if your beast is stock or if it has been converted to 12v. Do you know that?

If it has not been converted, and is still 24v, STOP.

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Don't try this and try that. Stop it. Stop all of it.

Fix the known problem before you start troubleshooting anything else.

1. Get that second alternator installed.
  2. Fix any blown fuses.
  3. Check your fusible links to make sure you didn't blow one of them.
  4. Disconnect and charge each battery.

THEN, and ONLY then, try to start it.
Previous owner said it is untouched and is the original 24v system. I hope I didn't mess anything else up trying to start it today.. I will replace the blown fuses and try and get the alternator on.

Is the TM the best material to read on the alternator installation?

AC130 Above

TM will show the proper install for Gen2...if you need pics let me know. I can snap a few tomorrow of what goes where.
If you don't mind that would be great or just even a link would work. I appreciate all of ya'lls help. I am going to take a deep breath and relax lol, get that alternator on as soon as possible. Just unsure about the wiring, some of the connectors are ripped off.

joshuak

Previous owner had the passenger (missing) alternator rebuilt. It is just uninstalled. What is stopping me is the electrical hook ups are somewhat chewed up. I am unfamiliar with this alternator and will have to do some research to make sure I am hooking it up correctly.

And I haven't checked with the black out switches, could that mess with things?

May help...

CUCV CHARGING CIRCUITS color.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks