• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly purchased CUCV M1009 won't turn over.

AC130 Above

I appreciate everyones feedback its been a tremendous help. I am going to get that second alternator hooked back up. Once I figure out the proper procedure, its missing some of the connectors on the Gen 2. Reading the TM's as we speak.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just a word about TM's they are in their on language, Even with reading tech manuals for years there was a learning curve to TM's. Be patient read,read and reread it will come to you.

MarcusOReallyus

microjeep is right. To help with that, here are some poiinters:

From the Wiki, this gem:

Wiring Diagrams are located in Appendix F of the -20 and Appendix E of the -34

Then check the Helpful Threads sticky. Of particular interest are the "CUCV Isolated Ground Theory of Operation" and the, "GEN1 and GEN2 Exciter circuit troubleshooting" threads, both under the "Alternator" section.

I suggest starting with the "Theory of Operation" thread, to help you wrap your brain around this oddball. Once you understand what you are doing, it should all make sense for you.

Grab some coffee and do some readin! :)

:beer:

AC130 Above

Just to update, and thanks to all especially with 90Jimmy really nice guy walked me through the generator install. It is installed but I am currently replacing the belts before I try and start it after all this.

Having some issues getting the power steering belt off, loosened a couple bolts on it but it doesn't want to give me enough movement to get that belt off. I read on here there's a bolt that you reach from underneath the truck but I have yet to see that. Not sure... it is a old belt but I might just leave it on if I can find a suitable way to get it off. Do you just have to take the whole power steering pump off?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you don't have to remove the ps pump. Nor do you want to. There is one bolt that it pivots on and three to adjust tension, two in front and one in back.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to update, and thanks to all especially with 90Jimmy really nice guy walked me through the generator install. It is installed but I am currently replacing the belts before I try and start it after all this.

Having some issues getting the power steering belt off, loosened a couple bolts on it but it doesn't want to give me enough movement to get that belt off. I read on here there's a bolt that you reach from underneath the truck but I have yet to see that. Not sure... it is a old belt but I might just leave it on if I can find a suitable way to get it off. Do you just have to take the whole power steering pump off?
The bolts that are circled are the ones to adjust the power steering pump.

Attachments

Last edited:

AC130 Above

The bolts that are circled are the ones to adjust the power steering pump.
Ah I see, thank you. I had 3 bolts loosened but may have missed one or loosened the wrong one possibly..

Is there any other adjustments made under the hood or is it just with the PS pump?

Also how do you create tension once the new belt is on?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah I see, thank you. I had 3 bolts loosened but may have missed one or loosened the wrong one possibly..

Is there any other adjustments made under the hood or is it just with the PS pump?

Also how do you create tension once the new belt is on?
You also have to loosen the 4th bolt that it pivots on. Use some kind of pry bar between the PS pump and the water (nothing that damage the PS pump ) pry out and tighten the bolts . Same with the alternator belts .

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just snug them, if they squeal underload you can tighten them a little more, the tighter they are= more load on the bearings, also alternator housings are made of aluminum give it a good look as to where you're putting pressure and stay clear of the electrical connections or unhook the batteries

richingalveston

the power steering pump bracket has a square hole in it, from the back side it takes the right length socket extension and size (I believe half inch)/ using a breaker bar not socket wrench you can tighten the power steering pump without having to pry on the pump itself. prying on the pump will damage the tank reservoir. the alts have holes in the brackets and a long large screw driver is needed to tighten alt belts, you can pry on the side of the alt. and not hurt it.

AC130 Above

the power steering pump bracket has a square hole in it, from the back side it takes the right length socket extension and size (I believe half inch)/ using a breaker bar not socket wrench you can tighten the power steering pump without having to pry on the pump itself. prying on the pump will damage the tank reservoir. the alts have holes in the brackets and a long large screw driver is needed to tighten alt belts, you can pry on the side of the alt. and not hurt it.
Yes thank you, I saw that square hole the other day. Unfortunately whoever monkey'd with it before put a dent in the side of the PS pump... But I appreciate it when I get home (out of town for work) I will try that maneuver.
Thanks for the reply.

AC130 Above

Okay... So alternator is installed, new belts are put in everything hooked up and still nothing. The batteries turned out to be okay after all the front one is reading 12.4-12.5V and the rear is reading 12.6V. After installing the second alternator, GEN 2 is now showing up on the dash at half key which is nice, but it still is giving just 1 click from the starter when trying to start. Also the lights on the dash seem to dim when trying to start. Could I be dealing with a ground issue? The seat belt buzzer sound comes on and off when trying to start its weird. The ignition also does not require a key to start, could it be something with the ignition?

It looks like it has been dog head modded at the starter relay. I've attached a picture of that. It is positioned underneath the steering wheel to the right. You can see it when you look under the steering wheel. I am assuming it must be the starter.. assuming there second alternator I installed is in good shape what should I check next?

I appreciate all of yalls help, you guys are awesome. I haven't even really had a chance to drive this thing since I got it. I am feeling like I got dooped on a big project/headache

IMG_1513.jpgIMG_1514.jpgIMG_1512.jpg

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Take a 15/16 deep socket and long ratchet or bar and put it on the
Crankshaft bolt and give the motor a short turn and see if you hear the
Starter bendix click out.
If you do, get in and see if it will start.

This is providing you checked and have power to the starter solenoid when you turn the key.
Dim lights mean you probably do, but the starter is failing.

And yes appears to have the DH mod.
Tom

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Have you had a chance to check the starter bolts? If the starter drive is hung up doing as TGP has suggested may return the drive. And try to restart and see if it is a loud click or soft click, for engagement.

AC130 Above

Have you had a chance to check the starter bolts? If the starter drive is hung up doing as TGP has suggested may return the drive. And try to restart and see if it is a loud click or soft click, for engagement.
I will try what TGP suggested I believe the crankshaft bolt is on the big pulley lowest to the ground on these trucks? Sorry I am a noob to mechanical stuff. I have looked at the starter but not sure what I am looking at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks