• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly purchased CUCV M1009 won't turn over.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just to check, I re-read entire thread here's a couple questions, did you charge the batteries? How did you test them? Voltmeter? They really need to be load tested, any autoparts store can do this but they should be fully charged first. This may have been covered but I didn't see this specifically mentioned. Good luck.

Last edited:

AC130 Above

Just to check, I re-read entire thread here's a couple questions, did you change the batteries? How did you test them? Voltmeter? They really need to be load tested, any autoparts store can do this but they should be fully charged first. This may have been covered but I didn't see this specifically mentioned. Good luck.
The batteries are new by the previous owner 1/19 on the side of them. I tested them with a multimeter at 20 DC. They came in around 12.5V to 12.6V so I think that is right on target on where they should be. When attempting to start the truck they do drop down to about 11.6V somewhere around there.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the WAIT light comes on and then sequences off as it should. Previous owner said it did have trouble starting in the cold and needed new glow plugs
Previous owner probably finished off the old starter if it started hard needing glow plugs. Starter needs a full reman and it will probably start again like it should!!

AC130 Above

Take a 15/16 deep socket and long ratchet or bar and put it on the
Crankshaft bolt and give the motor a short turn and see if you hear the
Starter bendix click out.
If you do, get in and see if it will start.

This is providing you checked and have power to the starter solenoid when you turn the key.
Dim lights mean you probably do, but the starter is failing.

And yes appears to have the DH mod.
Tom
thank you sir! That was it! The starter must have locked up. It is running great now started up like a champ after that. Thanks again to you and everyone else that chimed in. I wouldn’t have been able to fix it without y’all.

TGP (IL)

thank you sir! That was it! The starter must have locked up. It is running great now started up like a champ after that. Thanks again to you and everyone else that chimed in. I wouldn’t have been able to fix it without y’all.
That's Good News.
Now carry that socket and ratchet with you in the truck.
IT WILL DO IT AGAIN.
At the most inopportune time Always.

Armature in the starter probably has a burnt commentator segment.
When the starter stops on that spot it will happen again.

Time for a starter.
Tom

AC130 Above

That's Good News.
Now carry that socket and ratchet with you in the truck.
IT WILL DO IT AGAIN.
At the most inopportune time Always.

Armature in the starter probably has a burnt commentator segment.
When the starter stops on that spot it will happen again.

Time for a starter.
Tom
And as you predicted it has done it again numerous times, randomly. Haven't had to get the breaker bar out again yet usually I just give it a minute and try again. What would be the starter replacement? Is it a 27MT?

After a quick google search this pops up:

https://www.amazon.com/10461453-10465015-10479611-Chevrolet-Military/dp/B015D288XA

Would that be the best one to get? It looks like it is Chinese. The CUCV I have is a 1986

Thanks again for your help

Also found this one, it says in the info it has a higher torque and smaller than the original 27MT but would be a proper replacement.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...starter-6-2-6-5-blazer-military-24v-6598.html

Last edited:

richingalveston

see if you can find a starter shop and have yours rebuilt. the shop near me did it in two days. if your truck is stock, those are correct. but maybe china junk. getting yours rebuilt by a good shop, you will know it is good. my rebuild cost 200 so those are cheaper but may not be as good.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

Could be a simple as a set of new brushes. My 75 Chevy C10 had random no start issues. Turned out a set of brushes for $5 fixed the problem. The diagram in the GM CUCV parts book shows brushes that look very similar to the ones I replaced.

nyoffroad

I've used china starters before and none of them hold up like the OEM or remaned OEM starters do. I've got one 24v hi-tork china made with about a dozen starts on it and the silver solder holding the conduter wire from solinnoid to the motor itself melted, easy fix if your at home when it happens!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks