• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchases M1123, need hauling advice.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone, I've been reading up a bit here (currently on page 166 of the forum browsing topics and reading articles) but haven't come across what I'm considering doing for hauling my new to me HMMWV home from Yermo (900 miles each way)

So here's the situation. I own a Ford F450 with a 12 foot flatbed. The car trailer I have available is too narrow (76 inches between the rails and fenders) and while I have access to some other trailers, they're a lot bigger and heavier that I really need for this.

Me and a buddy of mine were discussing the best way to go pick it up whenever the EUC finally clears, which will probably be 2 months or so from now.

My original thought, since it appears they can be loaded by forklift, is to put some heavy timbers on my truck bed and bolt them down, set the HMMWV on it's wheels on them, and then add some turn signals at the tail of the HMMWV.

His idea is to get some heavy timbers and place them under the frame rails, have the HMMWV set down on the timbers (with some blocks for spacers for the forklift forks) and just have the tail of the truck hanging off the back, and pull the rear wheels off in order to move the weight forward a little bit.

My F450 is rated to haul 7k lbs of load, HMMWV comes in under 6 so that shouldn't be an issue, and truck tires are rated for way above what the truck is. I won't be overloading the F450 by putting the HMMWV on it, so that's not a concern. F450 axle is about 7 feet back from the headache rack, and looking at the sling load charts, center of gravity on a stripped down HMMWV is going to be in the driver's foot well area, so that shouldn't be an issue either, as that will be above or in front of the F450's axle.

1)As I view it, the main benefit of setting it on it's wheels on longer timbers is that it will be a little easier to unload. Main downside is that it will have a little room to bounce as it's sitting on it's suspension on top of the F450's suspension, and will also be another 6 inches or so higher.

2)Setting the frame rails on timbers makes it a lot more stable for the drive, but will make it just a little harder to unload at the end of the trip, though I may have access to a loading dock, semi-trailers, and a small forklift, so that's probably not much of an issue either. I can also pull all the wheels and set the truck down lower if the guys at the loading yard are willing to give me a few minutes to pull all the lugs with my impact gun.

Currently the F450 is only registered for 16k lbs, as my state doesn't require me to stop at scales at that level. If I pull a trailer I'll have to register it for higher, which makes me stop at scales and possibly go through a commercial inspection (it's a personal vehicle, not for hire, but WA law is funny like that). Also not that familiar with OR and CA laws, but should be able to get by if I stick under 16k lbs.

So do you guys see any major issues with using either of the above methods for hauling the HMMWV?

I drove an M1025 for a little while in the Army before they figured out I knew how to actually drive a vehicle and they gave me an M934A2 to drive through Korean traffic (which was actually kind of fun tbh) so I have a little bit of familiarity with the basic truck, but have never had to consider how to haul one 900 miles with a POV.

Since no newcomer thread is complete without pics, here are the ones from GovPlanet. Went through reset in 2010, serial number starts with 183XXX so if I'm reading the other threads correctly it's from 2000 (data plate only has reset date). Had 26 miles at reset, reads 32 now, but I know that doesn't mean a whole lot.
796067_6002_0_0023.jpg796067_6002_159_0001.jpg796067_6002_160_0001.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess a 12foot flatbed with timbers extended out and a HMMWV will draw the attention of every motor carrier officer you get anywhere near.
Don't even think of skirting proper plates in California and if your F450 is commercial a log book for over 150 miles from home base.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The F450 doesn't count as a commercial vehicle in my state if it's not being used to earn money, and for the trip down there the timbers can be up over the headache rack and not sticking past the end of the truck bed.

You're right that I need to check and see what the requirements are to count as a commercial vehicle in OR and CA, but as this is not a commercial trip but a personal one, in a personally owned truck it shouldn't be a big issue.

My buddy recently drove it down to Nevada and back with a Suzuki Samurai on the back and didn't have any issues, but the Sami didn't stick past the end of the bed.

Provided the load is properly secured, with turn signals placed at the rear of the HMMWV and corners flagged, sticking out 3 feet past the end of the flatbed shouldn't be a legal concern.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked California's DMV, as long as I'm under 26k lbs and not towing a trailer over 10k lbs then I do not require anything special. The same is true of Oregon.
WA requires a DOT number if you register the truck over 16k lbs, whether you drive it commercially or not, and to stop at scales as well. I have a DOT number, but I've been registering the truck at 16k and haven't had a single issue in the 10 years I've had it. (and I do NOT have the DOT number or any type of business markings on the truck anywhere.)

There are no legal issues with driving the F450 and the HMMWV on back, I'm just looking to see if there is anything that I have overlooked in any of the original post's methods for actual loading/hauling of the HMMWV.

riderdan

I'm not a professional trucker, but the thing I'd be the most concerned about is the CG. The HMMWV sits pretty high on it's own--though it's wide and slow enough that that's not a serious problem. But put that 5600 pounds on top of a flatbed and the CG of the total package... is going to be high. Just be careful.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a light duty 20 foot gooseneck flatbed (4 tires, not eight) when I tow mine. Fits really nice. Have you thought about renting a trailer? That's a long trip even with no issues.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using a forklift to load it is sending up red flags for me.
It was my understanding that GP would load HMMWVs using a large forklift, they have to move the non-runners around somehow. Not sure why them using a forklift, of which I've seen pictures on here in multiple threads, would be a red flag?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeeeze, Rent a trailer man....my head hurt just trying to understand the OP.
Sorry if I made my post overly complicated. All I was trying to ask is if anyone here knew of any issues with hauling a HMMWV by using blocks of wood under the frame as opposed to sitting on the wheels, and pulling the wheels in back to reduce the weight on the suspension would cause any issues with the HMMWV. I can't see there being an issue with it considering they're moved around by large forklift at the GP lots, but I thought I would ask the people here who have more experience with HMMWVs than I do for their thoughts.

Renting a trailer doubles the cost for picking up the truck due to higher registration fees, rental fees, and fuel burned, then there is dealing with the scales here in WA, and I was trying to avoid that if possible.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a professional trucker, but the thing I'd be the most concerned about is the CG. The HMMWV sits pretty high on it's own--though it's wide and slow enough that that's not a serious problem. But put that 5600 pounds on top of a flatbed and the CG of the total package... is going to be high. Just be careful.
Yes, the center of gravity is a little high on the flatbed, but nothing that I haven't dealt with before hauling farm equipment on it. Decent roads the entire way, and I'm a relatively conservative driver. Just trying to find out if there is a technical reason why this can't be done.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a light duty 20 foot gooseneck flatbed (4 tires, not eight) when I tow mine. Fits really nice. Have you thought about renting a trailer? That's a long trip even with no issues.
Yes, I have considered acquiring a trailer for this endeavor, and I still might. I have access to a light gooseneck trailer just as you described (14k rated) that my truck is set up to tow, I'm just trying to explore other options before going that route due to registration increases and dealing with the scales here in WA, and it appears I'd be pushing the edge of having to stop at all Oregon scales (they require trucks at 20k lbs to get inspected)
Additional reading shows that I'll have to stop at the scales in CA no matter what I do, so it's just a matter of how serious I want the inspection to be.

mleara

I rented a deck over trailer for $100/day from the local Big Tex dealer. Worked flawlessly with no concerns. You may consider that option.

desmodromic

Congrats on the 1123, you scored a good one.

I am no stranger to DIY pickups, but I suggest looking into having the 1123 shipped. It likely will not be much more expensive than DIY and you save yourself a couple of days. I have a good CA based broker who has arranged shipment of Humvees from Yermo to me in NY. PM if interested.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was my understanding that GP would load HMMWVs using a large forklift, they have to move the non-runners around somehow. Not sure why them using a forklift, of which I've seen pictures on here in multiple threads, would be a red flag?
They will load it with a Fork Truck but will likely cause more costs in damage than you save by not taking a trailer . common issues are bent drive shafts and broken transfer case cases along with anything else they can stick a fork through.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have a propensity to tear things up. I wouldn't want GP anywhere near any truck with a fork lift. I've waved off more than one loadout and canceled transactions due to GP's forklift damage.

My experience with CA scales has been that they have no interest in the noncommercial pickup truck with a gooseneck. I've driven right by them with an M35A2 on a heavy gooseneck pulling with a 3500 and they didn't bat an eye.

If it were me, I'd take the gooseneck and drive it on.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeeeze, Rent a trailer man....my head hurt just trying to understand the OP.
Amazing the utterly ridiculous things people will do to place the rest of us drivers at risk.

Rent the proper flatbed tow vehicle and stop being a danger to the rest of us.

What an amazing inconsiderate post. You're placing all of us at risk with such a dangerous poor excuse of a trailer extension.

Get a proper trailer with a proper winch and then maybe, just maybe, you can safely load and transport this HMMWV without ripping it up and without killing other drivers on the road.

[EDIT] Even better idea, listen to desmodromic and stuff a crowbar in your wallet and get the bloody thing properly and safely shipped.

Last edited:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had nine non-running HMMWVs loaded by GP with a loader, and no problems. The loaders that I have seen at Bragg, Richmond, Saraland AL, Albany, etc. are very capable machines, and in each case the GP rep ran it like a pro. The drivetrain of a HMMWV is above the bottom of the frame. I still always take a come-a-long in case the loader is out of service.

Coug, I have a pretty good sense of adventure but I don't think I would put a HMMWV on a 12' bed with the frame on blocks and all that overhang. Just a thought - maybe you want to own a drive-on trailer with ramps for your M1123. Even when it is fully functional there may be times you want to trailer it. I use a 5-ton trailer with ball hitch; it sits low and pulls nicely, doesn't look commercial if that is a concern in your part of the country. Try to get one with 84" or more between the fenders. 83.5" is a squeeze.

diesel dave

I’m on board with every one else. I could probably give you more than a half dozen reasons why not to do this,but it sounds like you’ve already made up your mind.

fasttruck

Many posts have appeared here in the past documenting members who have tried to move something on the cheap and had costs way above commercial cartage owing to damage to the payload and fines, fees and penalties imposed by DOTs for motor vehicle violations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks