• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 air intake on the m35a2

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking I'm gonna be needing some extra room in the engine bay and going with an exterior air intake. I've seen pics of the m35a3 and am concerned at what appears to be an obstruction of sight because it sits pretty high.

Does anyone have a comment about the air intake on the a3 and if it does block your vision when you look that way?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not experienced any blind spot issue while driving/maneuvering the vehicle. The A3 intake air filter is easier to service than the A2 under hood filter assembly.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, passenger side panel is shorter. Pretty easy to modify the existing side panel. Relocate the aft lower hinge and cut the panel down and move the latch hardware.

rustystud

Yep, passenger side panel is shorter. Pretty easy to modify the existing side panel. Relocate the aft lower hinge and cut the panel down and move the latch
hardware.

That's exactly what I did with mine. I didn't get it totally even with the hood though. I forgot that the panel is "tapered" and just cut it straight. It works fine though, just a larger gap by the filter housing.

002.jpg003.jpg

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks factory to me Rusty, my unaltered A3 has about the same gap, I think my hood may be warped.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... I forgot that the panel is "tapered" ...
How can that be - if your truck is a M35A2?:???:
AFAIK only the gassers and the A3's have tapered side panels. Multifuel trucks all came with straight/square panels (= 9" tall, measured from center of hinge pin to top edge, front and rear).

rustystud

How can that be - if your truck is a M35A2?:???:
AFAIK only the gassers and the A3's have tapered side panels. Multifuel trucks all came with straight/square panels (= 9" tall, measured from center of hinge pin to top edge, front and rear).

I should clarify a bit. The filter box is taller and has a slight taper to it. I didn't take into account this difference when I cut my panel so it looks a little funny. I had to "hammer" my hood to get clearance. You can see this where the panel meets the filter unit.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received my A3 air filter assembly and short side panel. I have two observations and one question:

- the short A3 side panel does not fit the A2 without serious modification. It is overall too wide and tapered, whereas the A2 needs a straight top edge. I think cutting the A2 panel is less work than getting the A3 panel to fit.

- The A3 air intake is huge; it looks like 4 inch pipe and the A2 is quite a bit smaller. The A2 mushroom doesn't fit. I need to get a bigger mushroom and adapt the puny mulifuel intake to the honking A3 elbow.

Rusty, can you post pics of what your air intake looks like and how you plumbed it?

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This begs the question. Does the a3 cap inset or fit over and what is the diameter?

I have an a3 intake that I haven't installed yet, and I'm also in need of a cap. The outer dimension is 5 inches.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This begs the question. Does the a3 cap inset or fit over and what is the diameter?

I have an a3 intake that I haven't installed yet, and I'm also in need of a cap. The outer dimension is 5 inches.
Montaillou, the A2 cap inserts very loosely into the vertical A3 intake pipe. I also think that it must go OVER the pipe, otherwise you invite water to seep in and run down inside the pipe. I have not measured actual diameters, yet. I will look at some options; there are rubber/silicone reducers and some such that might come in handy. It is not as if my LDS was screaming for an intake that is an inch bigger!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a web search for an a3 cap and couldn't find one. I did find a hmmwv cap which is listed as 4.65 inches (outer) diameter and I think I might try that. Considering it sits over the top I'm not worried about any incidental moisture getting in there.

Just found this, says it fits a 5 inch pipe: http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/2-1-2-ton-air-inlet-cap/

I've seen similar ones on ebay that say they fit 4 inch pipe.

Last edited:

brianp454

What a neat idea! I saw a guy selling heaters and wondered where I could put a 2nd one. I find the heater in very cold weather to be a suggestion with the soft top. I'd also like to get the top to seal up with the cab behind the seats as the straps allow it to bow out and blow all the road dust and wind into the cab.

I've had no problems with mine at all. It really free's up space being out there too. I added a extra cab heater there on mine, plus my towing control box.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I was having some trouble with the injection pump. Truck was at a shop getting air lockers installed (another story in and of itself) and while it was there I asked if they'd be interested in doing some other work...such as installing a new hydraulic head. Unfortunately, when I got it back, it was running really hot, so, I took it to someone else and they pulled the IP and sent it out. Seems the guy that installed the HH forgot a part (I don't know which one yet, I haven't seen the report), but that shop fabricated a new part, and everything's good with the IP now.

While this shop had the truck I asked if they'd be interested in doing some work on it...such as the air intake swap. And...because I read about it on here, I thought it a good time to install a blast gate on the air hose in case of runaway. They're still working on it (needed to find a 5" to 3" reducer), but I thought I'd post some pics they sent.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They removed the flame heater, said it would look cleaner and be an easier install. I don't believe it was working anyways and I'll probably be replacing it with an ether start kit - yes, I know, but if I'm in a situation where I need it, I'll need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks